Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Effect on Weight Loss?
Effect on Weight Loss?
I weight 330 and im not losing weight even though im counting calories and exercising daily! Im depressed because I worked so hard with no result and I feel like I cant do anything! Is this caused by my untreated sleep apnea? Can having Sleep Apnea stop my weight loss? What should I do?

I did the sleeping test (I have obstructive Sleep Apnea) but its taking a long time to give me the machine because of availability. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Effect on Weight Loss?
Welcome and yes there's cases where sleep apnea and other sleep disruptive items can hinder weight loss. And I know that weight loss can alter AHI. I was able to cut my AHI in half by bariatric surgery that netted me a 75 pounds loss, from about 76 down to 35, but I still need Apnea treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on Cpap for over 20 years. My weight was 360 a year ago. I diet a little differently. For breakfast I found some flavored coffee (about 20 cal), lunch is fruit either grapes, pineapple, apple or orange. Then I have a normal dinner around 4 to 5. Although I do watch what I have for dinner it is a normal meal with potatoes or stuffing a veg and meat. I have lost 105 lbs but it has taken over a year. 

I am also a little discouraged as my weight has stabilized for a month - no weight gain but very little loss. I’m still 25 to 30 lbs from wher I want to be 

Hang in there you can do it. I have never found Cpap therapy to stop weight loss or gain. The
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
That's pretty good Stacey. For me to lose an initial 100 pounds, I had to do the bariatric sleeve surgery. And I've heard of the plateau issues while losing weight. There's tips out there to restart the loss.

Anyway the point is I know weight plays a big part to AHI. So keep at the losing weight.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 152 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 695 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Lower auto pressure while loosing weight? tottbjorn 3 616 06-05-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.