Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Escaping Air
Gross 
Escaping Air
Is it possible that the pressures on my CPAP are wreaking havoc with other parts of my head? A few nights ago I woke to a horrific sound, and it felt like the air from my CPAP was coming out my right ear! When I plugged my ear it stopped, but it resumed when I removed my finger. I couldn't feel any air, but I definitely heard it - and it was loud.  It happened two nights in a row when I was sleeping in the recliner because of a wisdom tooth extraction, as my face throbbed if I laid flat.  I've been back in bed for a couple of nights, and it hasn't happened again, but I normally sleep on my right side. But there's more......a pocked of fluid started forming under my eye at the same time. I was given prednisolone eye drops on Monday thinking it was a product of the tooth extraction. I was told the drops work quickly, and it should be resolved within a couple of days, but now the sac is even bigger. Could any of this be caused by my CPAP machine? I wouldn't even wonder about it if it wasn't for the ear thing, but I know that was definitely related to the machine. I have a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite, and the pressure is set at a constant 16. Attached is a picture of my eye.  Thanks for your input.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Escaping Air
I am not aware of any way pressure can cause fluid to accumulate below your eyes. Air could potentially exit the ear if you have tubes or a perforated ear drum. Your pressure is pretty high for a fixed CPAP and I wonder how long you have had this machine? An Airsense 10 Autoset would allow you to have lower pressure overall. Also, your machine is capable of exhale pressure support. If you are not having problems with apnea you can turn on EPR and set it from 1 to 3 . That corresponds to 1-3 cm of pressure relief on exhale, and may greatly increase your comfort.

If you have a laptop, PC or Mac, please download the free #Sleepyhead software which will let you see much more detail in your therapy and will let us help you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had this particular machine for almost a year. Before that I had a REMstar Auto M Series for approximately 7 years. Will just have to assume the eye thing is a result of the tooth extraction, and I will have my ears checked. Will download SleepyHead as soon as I back up my computer and figure out a way to insert an SD card in my MacBook Air.   Thinking-about I did request a manual for my CPAP today, and I will try making the adjustments that you suggested. Thank you so much for taking the time to help.  I'll be back as soon as I figure the rest out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your tearducts and ears are connected to your mouth (pretty disgusting). Your tearducts do enter your eyes in the approximate location of the fluid accumulation in your picture. I don't know if they are caused by your CPAP, but I wouldn't rule it out. There are people that leak air out of their tearducts from CPAP, which can really dry your eyes out. Hopefully you can get Sleepyhead going and some graphs and the kind people here can help optimize your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The roots of teeth can intermingle with the sinuses. I've had a root go almost all the way up to my eye socket.

It looks as though you actually have a black eye with bruising, instead of simple air puffiness. I guess that would be related to the extraction.

Wisdom teeth are close to the jaw and ear. An impact in either of these places could potentially be stopped by putting a finger in the ear.

That's my own experience, though. I'm not a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air escaping from mouth with XPAP Paula McCabe 20 8,203 11-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Last Post: LeonardoDR
  air escaping settings [mouth leaking] somnia16 4 1,788 08-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] Air seems to be escaping imeldawn 4 1,630 09-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [CPAP] Water escaping Lojos71 3 1,616 05-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Lojos71

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.