Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] FLU SEASON
Angry 
FLU SEASON
It appears that we are suffering from a virulent flu season, independent of the extremely rare "coronavirus," that is running rampant in many communities. 

Perhaps we need a wiki entry on colds/FLUs and CPAP usage that will serve as a one-stop basic reference and reduce the amount of searching in the archives. Any ideas?

My only suggestions involve: one, daily cleaning of your equipment; two, using a plain expectorant to thin secretions; and most importantly, make sure you are current on your pneumonia shot(s) because most people who experience severe adverse symptoms do so from pneumonia. 

And, of course, avoid contagious people, use masks, and sanitizers, because relapses are frequent given the depressed state of your immune system. 

Be well. 

[For those who want to read the depressing news: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivitysurv.htm]
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: FLU SEASON
Good info and thanks. Some family members already fighting the flu. Cold
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good ideas, srlevine1!

I've get flu shots every year and have had my pneumonia shots. But none of that protects from the common miserable cold that I am currently suffering with.  Cold

Was at the Eye doctor a few days ago.  The waiting room was filled with folk coughing and sneezing.  I should have worn a mask or better yet.... Bag-head
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Dreaming

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Machine Choices
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get vaccinated, avoid children.  Problem solved. oldman

Allow me to remind that anyone interested in helping to write wiki material can become a Wiki Editor and enjoy having the prestigious title under their name. After you join the Apnea Board Forum and become an established member, you can become an Apnea Board Wiki Editor to help edit, improve or write your own articles. There are currently 238 wiki articles written, but we need more! We encourage you to share your knowledge and experience by joining our collaborative community! Your contributions will make it into an ever-evolving source of Sleep Apnea and CPAP information. Come join us on the Apnea Board Wiki Forum as a Wiki Editor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
When prepping to visit my brother's family with the flu, he suggested we get the masks to wear. Some health professional warned most to all consumer grade masks don't help.
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had a flu shot in well over 15 yrs. Been doing fine w/o it. My father was the kind that almost never got sick. I can't remember him being sick with the flu or even a simple cold. 

It's been many years since I've been sick. Every once in a while, I do feel kind of blah, but once I go to bed and get some sleep, it passes. 

My wife keeps asking me if I'm going to get a flu shot this year? I tell her, why should I? I haven't had the flu.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2020, 09:47 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: When prepping to visit my brother's family with the flu, he suggested we get the masks to wear. Some health professional warned most to all consumer grade masks don't help.

My physician recommended N95 masks (named because they filter out 95% of small particles) and I found that both 3M and Draeger make acceptable masks at an affordable price. 

Unfortunately, like everything in life, you take your chances because the medical literature is less than definitive on the subject.

Checked with a hematology/oncology infusion lab where people have compromised immune systems and they said masks are better than no masks and they use both N95 and surgical masks per personal preference. They also use surgical gloves and disposable clothes covers for protection.

Quote:Protecting healthcare workers from pandemic influenza: N95 or surgical masks?

Conclusions:

World Health Organization guidelines recommend surgical masks for all patient care with the exception of N95 masks for aerosol generating procedures. Because of the paucity of high-quality studies in the healthcare setting, the advocacy of mask types is not entirely evidence-based. Evidence from laboratory studies of potential airborne spread of influenza from shedding patients indicate that guidelines related to the current 1-meter respiratory zone may need to be extended to a larger respiratory zone and include protection from ocular inoculation.

Quote:Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks in protecting health care workers from acute respiratory infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Conclusion

Although N95 respirators appeared to have a protective advantage over surgical masks in laboratory settings, our meta-analysis showed that there were insufficient data to determine definitively whether N95 respirators are superior to surgical masks in protecting health care workers against transmissible acute respiratory infections in clinical settings. Additional, large RCTs are needed to detect a potentially clinically important difference owing to small event rates. Initial guidelines on preventing acute respiratory infection relied on surrogate exposure data and data extrapolated from the protection of health care workers against tuberculosis because clinical evidence did not exist at that time. Randomized controlled trials conducted in clinical settings represent the most valid information to evaluate the effectiveness of N95 respirators. They are more relevant to real clinical situations and report actual outcomes in health care workers, and therefore they are the best evidence on effectiveness to inform policy-making.

And we all know that some manufacturers will make unsupported claims or provide anecdotal evidence to sell products. 

As far as I can tell, using masks has the added benefit of making people stand further from you than they normally would.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-12-2020, 11:36 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I haven't had a flu shot in well over 15 yrs. Been doing fine w/o it. My father was the kind that almost never got sick. I can't remember him being sick with the flu or even a simple cold. 

It's been many years since I've been sick. Every once in a while, I do feel kind of blah, but once I go to bed and get some sleep, it passes. 

My wife keeps asking me if I'm going to get a flu shot this year? I tell her, why should I? I haven't had the flu.  Eat-popcorn

Either you have a much more robust immune system than most or have just been lucky. I also seldom get sick but regard avoiding the flu shot as a form of Russian roulette. I hope you continue to be so fortunate but hope your example doesn't encourage others to skip immunizations.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was in the Canadian Armed Forces for close to 30 years.  Every spring we would be vetted for deployability/mobility.  Involved was a review of each member's status with respect to vaccinations.  Naturally, since we were expected to answer the call to deploy to any place on the globe inside of 24 hours notice, we had to be robustly healthy, fit, protected, and motivated.  Part of motivation is the sense that one is in the best possible condition to answer that call.  

Your shingles vaccine, no matter what it is, will only work for you from between 5-8 years, with only the newer Shingrix getting you out to about 8 years.  Zostavax and others were good only to five.  Are you expired?

Your Tetanus and Diphtheria boosters must be redone every 9-10 years, more often over the age of 60.  Are you expired?

Part of the obligation for us in the CF was to get an annual flu shot, which I have kept up since retiring.  If you are helping the aged, you should have a flu shot annually.  You may not be acutely ill, or even susceptible yourself, but you can still be a carrier, and thence a spreader,...just not if you are vaccinated.  That's why the flu shot is a good thing to have.
Serial Tapist
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks for the info srlevine1. Different grades of medical products for different grades of people.

It makes sense, but it's not necessarily common. Coffee
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.