Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Fragmented sleep due to pain
RE: Fragmented sleep due to pain
Memory foam mattresses are built on conventional bedding as well as foam foundations. In fact most memory foam mattresses only use visco-elastic foams in the top layer anyway. I'm not a big fan of toppers as an add-on when shopping a new bed, mainly because you can't try them out, and of course if the old bed has lost integrity, the band-aid won't fix that.

Labor Day sales can provide some savings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One piece of advice when it comes to mattresses in the U.S. The mark up on mattresses is huge and they play a game with the mattress names. Each actual mattress is sold under a large number of different names with very minor changes in looks and external materials in many cases. Some serious shopping is required to get the best price for the mattress that you want. It is definitely a case of buyer beware.

Handmade mattresses are no guarantee of better quality although they do cost like they should be the gold standard. On second thought I guess they are the gold standard of cost.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going on my first mattress shopping expedition this Thursday morning...
I am in Canada, so we are strange here, lol...

The plan is once I find something that seems to work, the misses will come along and try it...very liberated fellow I am...:-)

Thanks for all the support, as always this board is great and polite, mostly, too...:-)

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone tried a sleep number bed? Are they worth the cost?

Thanks, Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2015, 06:04 PM)foss Wrote: Has anyone tried a sleep number bed? Are they worth the cost?

Thanks, Jeff

wow, thats pretty high tech, If I was single...lol

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
My son swears by his sleep number bed. Claims it helps his back.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Sleep Number beds are supposed to be quite good for pain as well according to Consumers Reports. I purchased an expensive Beautyrest mattress last year and then developed hip pain (arthritis) that kept me tossing and turning. I added a 2" topper that seemed to make it worse, so I moved that to a different bed and added a 1" topper that also didn't work for me, then I tried the two together, not expecting any miracles, and to my great surprise I found the winning combination. As long as I do my exercises I feel quite fine, but when I stop them I don't fare so well. Good luck. CPAP also allows me to sleep on my back which helps as well Smile

David

Post Reply Post Reply
I loved the sleep number bed that they had at the sleep center. I also like the option of having a bed that lets you raise the head or foot. Saving my pennies for one. If you want to try one out, I think the Radisson chain tends to have them. Actually sleeping the night in a bed is going to tell you more than just lying in one 10 minutes at the store.
Post Reply Post Reply
The tempurpedic line is expensive, but they allow you a 90 day trial in home. You can sleep and use this bed for 90 days. That's a lot of time to decide if it is right for you. If you experience any kind of pain, it is a good investment as it helps you to sleep better. Even with good CPAP therapy, pain will keep you awake.

My husband and I splurged for one last year and we picked out the firmness we thought best for us, but after approximately 6 weeks, we decided it was too firm. Called the store, and we went back in to try another mattress that was a little softer. We are still using it after a year.

The head and foot can also be adjusted. I am just lucky that hubby doesn't care how I adjust it, he seems to sleep sound. Wink

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will be checking out mattresses tomorrow....this may be a challenge, my wife is lighter than I so finding a match is going to be interesting....maybe time for separate beds... oh no!!!, lol....

thanks for all the replies...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 90 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep jblack33 8 268 04-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,093 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 223 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fragmented sleep - AirSense 11 vs. 10 skydoc01 3 268 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 207 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.