Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Fragmented sleep due to pain
RE: Fragmented sleep due to pain
(09-03-2015, 10:44 AM)storywizard Wrote: I will be checking out mattresses tomorrow....this may be a challenge, my wife is lighter than I so finding a match is going to be interesting....maybe time for separate beds... oh no!!!, lol....

thanks for all the replies...

Storywizard

Separate beds....not such a bad idea. Everyone should have their own "sleeping" space! Wink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2015, 11:19 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 10:44 AM)storywizard Wrote: I will be checking out mattresses tomorrow....this may be a challenge, my wife is lighter than I so finding a match is going to be interesting....maybe time for separate beds... oh no!!!, lol....

thanks for all the replies...

Storywizard

Separate beds....not such a bad idea. Everyone should have their own "sleeping" space! Wink

Or you could change up to a King Size - they usually have two separate mattresses... :grin:

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
just recovering from a nasty head cold/sinus infection...made the decision to stop PAP therapy for a while and get the sleep/pain issue under control. Sleep fragmentation has become so complicated that it's hard not to feel confused.

Thanks all for your replies, I am searching for a mattress, and am experimenting with sleep/pain meds/exercise/breathing for the next while. I have a referral to a new sleep doc, she has a great reputation with some patients, I hope I click with her, if not will just continue research and experimenting until I find therapy that works for me...

all the best,

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Storywizard, I have chronic pain from various sources. Stopping use of your CPAP is a very, very bad idea for a variety of reasons. Foremost is the oxygen increase.

My sleep is fragmented because I wake up with various parts screaming or numb or spasming. I adjust to whatever the reason is and go back to sleep. I know the CPAP will at least help me with one problem while I deal with the others. My PLMD has drastically decreased with the use of CPAP. I still get some jerking but it is mild compared to what it was and it is not related to apnea events. Baclofen has helped a LOT with this.

Because my pain and issues vary drastically from day to day and night to night, I have a bunch of tricks I use. I have lots of pillows, some medication, and some meditations I use to get myself relaxed and asleep. Probably the best weapons in my arsenal is my physical therapist and my massage therapist. Between those two, when I have a problem, they work with me to find a solution. Stretching first thing in the morning or when I wake up with a spasm has really helped. Body positioning only works when you've been taught how to do it right. The best mattress in the world is useless if it isn't right for you and your body.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
A few thoughts and experiences from Texas. First, my wife and I both suffer from chronic pain, mine during the day (sometimes at night), and my wife has it 24x7. Following are some of the things that have helped us. BTW - I am the only one on a CPAP machine.

1. We have a Temper-Pedic mattress and it has been excellent for several years. It is firm and you do not sink in as with some models of this brand. I would not recommend getting a split king size mattress. I may be missing something here, but how do you make the bed (the bottom sheet)? It is difficult enough for us to make a standard bed.

2. For year around temperature control, we have a "Chili Pad". This product is not well known because, for one, they do not advertise much; mostly word of mouth. It is a mattress pad that is placed below the bottom sheet. It has small tubes threaded up and down the pad. Water is pumped through the pad by two separate control units (for a king size bed). The temperature of the water is electronically controlled and can be set at any temperature between below 50 to over 115 degrees. Remember that the recommended room temperature for sleeping is around 60-65 degrees. I keep my side set at 65 year around. My wife sets her side a little higher. I have found that 60-65 is fine (I know it sounds cold, but it is not). I recommend that everyone take a look at this product.

3. I have nerve pain due to back problems. One drug that is seldom used anymore can help with sleep and in some cases, reduce nerve pain. The drug is amitriptyline and it is an old antidepressant that is not used for that anymore. However, in doses 1/10 of the dose for depression, you can benefit from one of its known side effects, it will make you sleepy. Also, if you are lucky, it is known to reduce nerve pain, and some doctors prescribe it for just that. Best of all, it is dirt cheap, with insurance, probably will cost you nothing. Without insurance, less than baby aspirin. Well worth checking out.

4. I cannot buy into the use of mattress toppers. It doesn't pass the common sense test to put a thin pad on a bad foundation (mattress), there still will not be any support.

I hope that at least one of these suggestions will be of help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a rough time for you SW, I hope you see some improvement soon. I know how disruptive pain can be for sleep, and when you add a sinus infection to the mix...

I'm another concerned friend as far as your stopping CPAP right now, but at the same time I can't stand in judgment or disapproval of your decision. When you feel no significant improvement (or you feel worse) being on treatment it is a big hairy decision each and every night to mask up!

I know you'll keep us posted and however you find your solution(s) I'm rooting for you.Smile

kaiasgram
Post Reply Post Reply
pain - especially at night is difficult. In my case, cpap has improved the pain.... improved, but not removed. I hate taking drugs for pain, seems they become ineffective much too quickly! the good mattress (i hate sleep number, but to each their own) the good pillows, placed in good ways are a continual search for me. One remedy for pain that works for me, but I can't use because it sends my blood sugar too high is a glass of tart cherry juice before bed. My husband uses it, and when he does his legs don't twitch, he sleeps deeper, dreams more and feels more refreshed. Nothing to lose by trying it! I buy it condensed from one of the online herb and vitamin sellers, but only because it is more affordable that way.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2015, 05:26 PM)DariaVader Wrote: pain - especially at night is difficult. In my case, cpap has improved the pain.... improved, but not removed. I hate taking drugs for pain, seems they become ineffective much too quickly! the good mattress (i hate sleep number, but to each their own) the good pillows, placed in good ways are a continual search for me. One remedy for pain that works for me, but I can't use because it sends my blood sugar too high is a glass of tart cherry juice before bed. My husband uses it, and when he does his legs don't twitch, he sleeps deeper, dreams more and feels more refreshed. Nothing to lose by trying it! I buy it condensed from one of the online herb and vitamin sellers, but only because it is more affordable that way.

I tried tart cherry juice also, but stopped due to the large amount of sugar, and it is expensive. Since then I have been taking tart cherry pills, which contain cherry paste without the sugar and not near as costly. Tart cherries are known to reduce inflammation and they contain a very low dose of melatonin.
Post Reply Post Reply
We got a memory foam topper from Ikea. We have an odd sized Ikea bed we got 20 years ago. It has the Euro queen mattress on it which they no longer sell here in the US. It uses a pad on top of this really firm base mattress thing that is just as solid as it was 20 yrs ago. Anyway, we went there to get another pad but realized the size issue. So we got a memory foam thing instead. While we liked it at first, it rapidly became not so good. For one, it is very warm in the summer and hard as a rock in the winter. Once it warms up after we lay on it, it is soft again but I learned the hard way to not flop down on the bed when it is cold....

The frame and everything is in great shape but we'll have to start over. We'll probably go King since Queen is smaller than what we are used to.

Sptrout, a split King is just two mattresses put together to make a king sized bed. You use King size sheets just like usual. The smaller mattresses make it easier for set up. Some people use different sheets on the bottom but a single King sheet on the top. That's what my parents do. My mom gets hot while my step-dad is always cold. So he uses flannel sheet on the bottom.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2015, 01:33 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sptrout, a split King is just two mattresses put together to make a king sized bed. You use King size sheets just like usual. The smaller mattresses make it easier for set up. Some people use different sheets on the bottom but a single King sheet on the top. That's what my parents do. My mom gets hot while my step-dad is always cold. So he uses flannel sheet on the bottom.

I understand what a split king is, but not how to place the bottom sheets. We may have an unusual case since we have what is called a sleigh bed. Therefore, there would be no way to separate the two mattresses to place separate lower sheets since they are trapped in the wood frame (or sleigh). We have discussed this almost every time we change the sheets; how could we use separate bottom sheets (or twin sheets)? Another kink is that we have a power lift bed. The lifts are in the bottom two frames (two standard twins), but are electrically locked so both move at the same time. Anyway, we are lucky since we have no need for a split king. One thing that we have decided is that we would never buy another sleigh bed; just too difficult to handle. Unfortunately, we have a very nice bedroom set so we will have it until it is nursing home time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fragmented sleep - AirSense 11 vs. 10 skydoc01 3 206 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 338 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.