Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Had a problem with new REMstar Auto
Had a problem with new REMstar Auto
Hello all, I'm new here.

Background, have been using a Fisher Paskel unit for about 10 years. Recently new sleep study, new prescription and so on.

New unit picked up Wednesday July 29th. All appeared normal. That night normal routine, start up and place mask go to sleep. Wake up early am (2:00) Remove mask, instant, overwhelming smell of Lilac or other flowery smell. ??? Not sure what that is? Check and make sure no Airfreshers in room or anything about.

I Return to bed, no odor from mask or machine. Again put on mask try and go to sleep, take mask off again (4:00am) same smell, very strong in my nose. Stop using the machine, return to my previous machine. using new hose and mask. Again same thing. Go to old mask and hose problem solved ( not quite).

Next morning contact provider and explain problem. I now have a sore throat and chest is sore. They want me to clean everything with vineger and water. I do that and try it again that afternoon for my nap. Again same problem. I contact them and they want me to return the hose the next day. I revert back to my old machine for the night( Thursday). That night increased chest pains, sore chest muscles, sore throat. gets worse, take an antihistamine feels like an allergic reaction. Lungs begin to burn, considered going to ER. Finally antihistamine starts to work, relief is in sight (had my epipen ready as well ).

Contacted provider again Friday. They are concerned as they have had 2 others with the same complaint within the past 2 weeks. They asked me to bring in the hose and gave me a replacement. Again this one does the same thing. I did not use it as I don't want a repeat of the other night.

I'm afraid to use this until problem is found. I wish now I had gone to the ER as I am afraid I may have done some permanent damage to myself, as It has been harder to breath since. Have had to use a ProAir Inhaler more than Normal.

So I guess my question is this, has anyone else had this problem or heard of it?

My apologies for such a long post. I'm concerned for myself and others as well.

Sincerely,
MK
Dallas TX.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had a problem with new REMstar Auto
> Next morning contact provider and explain problem. I now have a sore throat and chest is sore. They want me to clean everything with vineger and water. I do that and try it again that afternoon for my nap. Again same problem. I contact them and they want me to return the hose the next day. I revert back to my old machine for the night( Thursday). That night increased chest pains, sore chest muscles, sore throat. gets worse, take an antihistamine feels like an allergic reaction. Lungs begin to burn, considered going to ER. Finally antihistamine starts to work, relief is in sight (had my epipen ready as well ).

You can get a sore throat from lack of humidification or excess leakage from your mouth if using nasal pillows.

You can get a sore chest from a new (higher) pressure setting that you're not used to.

However, a new machine shouldn't smell and I have no idea what would make your lungs burn.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2015, 01:23 PM)Terry Wrote: > Next morning contact provider and explain problem. I now have a sore throat and chest is sore. They want me to clean everything with vineger and water. I do that and try it again that afternoon for my nap. Again same problem. I contact them and they want me to return the hose the next day. I revert back to my old machine for the night( Thursday). That night increased chest pains, sore chest muscles, sore throat. gets worse, take an antihistamine feels like an allergic reaction. Lungs begin to burn, considered going to ER. Finally antihistamine starts to work, relief is in sight (had my epipen ready as well ).

You can get a sore throat from lack of humidification or excess leakage from your mouth if using nasal pillows.

You can get a sore chest from a new (higher) pressure setting that you're not used to.

However, a new machine shouldn't smell and I have no idea what would make your lungs burn.
Humidifier was working properly, pressure was above my old machine by 2 points. ?? It was more an allergic reaction to something??? Like I said once the antihistamine started working the problems began to resolve them selves. I don't know what happened just wanted to see if anyone else had this happen to them?

Thanks for your input.
MK
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to be sure, get into the clinician menu of the Remstar and see the no. of 'blower hours' on the machine. Just to make sure it isn't a recycled machine from another patient to you.

Blower hours can not be reset so should provide confirmation of the machine's condition when you bought it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MikroTx,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't had that problem but hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your machine situation straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you might not be the first user of the machine, and someone either used scents or sprayed something into the machine to "deoderize" it. I agree you should check the clinical menu for total blower hours. To do this, turn control knob to setup and push control knob and ramp button until you hear two beeps, then select the INFO screen and look at the total blower hours. If you got a new machine, therapy hours and blower hours should both read the time you have used the machine. If therapy hours were reset, there will be a discrepancy with blower hours.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will check the info. Funny thing is that it was the hose causing the problem? Once that was out of the equation the problem ( odor) was not present.

Now like I said the only time you could smell this odor was once you took the mask off. Then it was very very strong in your nostrils, it would fade away in about 30 seconds. Smell the air from the mask with it off, nothing. Put the mask on for a minute or more, take it off, bingo, Odor in your head. ????? Once I changed the hose to my old one, odor in my head problem went away.

I am going to try the new machine tonight , I have used it this afternoon for my nap and all went well so far.

Again thank you all for your responses, I do know I watched the tech open the box so I think it is new. ?? Will see what happens.
Thanks again all
MK
Post Reply Post Reply
Update, I used the machine again, and again another episode of Chest pains, shortness of breath, yada yada. I did call 911 this time, spent 48hrs in the hospital. EKGs, blood work, lung scans, MRI, and other tests.

I have been in contact with the suppliers and manufacture. I have been asked not to elaborate on this matter at this time until they can do a check on everything. So, thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Now I wait for them to do what they do and provide me with some answers. ???

MK
Post Reply Post Reply
they hushed you? cpap conspiracy....... noooooo.......

sounds like someone is afraid of a lawsuit.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 04:10 PM)DariaVader Wrote: they hushed you? cpap conspiracy....... noooooo.......

sounds like someone is afraid of a lawsuit.
Not sure what they are thinking at this time? I just want the problem resolved and hopefully no one else goes through what I have.

not to be gross but here are the bruises from Blood draws on my left arm, and the bruise left by the lovanox shot in my belly to help with possible pulmonary embolisms.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 366 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,456 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 328 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 388 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.