Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure
Hi I am just wondering have anyone in here have high blood pressure due to sleep apnea and if any doctor have try take you off the high blood pressure pill, sorry for ranting I have high blood pressure due to my sleep apnea, everyday I check my blood pressure after using cpap is under normal around 112/69. I just want know if anything I need to watch out for if I stop using the blood pressure pills.

P.S before using cpap my blood pressure is 142/95

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Blood Pressure
yes and personally my Doctor did finally reduce my medications. He tends to be very careful in this area, I would not suggest that you do this on your own. It will get reduced as soon as they are sure you are stable at your new level. Relax and pay attention to it, bring it up at your visits, what your pressure has stabilized at and for how long.

They do not want it to bounce back up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Damian. I'm glad to hear that your blood pressure has decreased since you started using CPAP.

Do you check your blood pressure at different times of day? I would definitely recommend doing that, and keeping a record. When I check my blood pressure, I get the lowest readings in the morning, and the highest readings late afternoon.

Have you talked to your doctor about whether your blood pressure medication needs to be adjusted to a lower dose or stopped? If you haven't done that yet, having blood pressure readings from different times of day will be useful information for the doctor to have.

Also, please remember that many blood pressure medications can cause serious side effects like dizziness or nausea if you stop taking them suddenly. You may want to do a web search for the particular type of blood pressure medication that you take and read about what people have to say about stopping it.

I'm not sure from your post. Do you want to stop taking your blood pressure medication, but your doctor doesn't want you to? I ask since you mentioned a "rant".

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with what others have said. BP varies throughout the day. Some people get high readings in the morning, even before taking medication; others get lower readings then. My pattern is more like green wings': low in the morning, high in late afternoon. xPAP therapy should be beneficial for BP, and indeed mine has improved since getting my machine settings dialed in, but it doesn't follow that I can go off my med, which is just a diuretic at this point.

I know from experience that if you're going to stop a BP medication, even a diuretic, it must be done very gradually, with constant monitoring.

Also, in my own case, my weight is more important than my xPAP therapy, as far as BP is concerned; and the effect isn't linear. There are certain "threshold" weights which, if I reach them, send my BP up quickly. I've graphed my BP and weight enough times to know what these are.

I don't think it's a bad goal to want to get off BP meds, but it has to be done in light of the whole medical picture, not just apnea treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know of people with HBP whose doctors have told them, "I cannot get your BP down unless you start CPAP."
These people were on 4+ meds for HBP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
HI I have to talk my doctor he say if my pressure stable then he will take off the blood pressure medication, and from my post I just want to know if anything else I should watch out for once the doctor taking my blood pressure pills.
hi I agree with you, I start walking for an hour after dinner everyday now for 2 months and have lost 7 lbs, I do check my pressure one in the morning before taking any BP pills and one more before bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2016, 01:36 PM)damian0.06 Wrote: HI I have to talk my doctor he say if my pressure stable then he will take off the blood pressure medication, and from my post I just want to know if anything else I should watch out for once the doctor taking my blood pressure pills.

Rebound effects from withdrawal. Beta blockers are infamous for rebound. Some other meds too.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
my blood pressure in normal for the past 4 months now. next visit to the doctor will be in July.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I guess you would want to watch that your BP doesn't start to creep back up to 142/95.
You should also watch for headaches and dizziness, and report this to your doctor.

I am surprised your doctor just doesn't slowly lower your dosage, not take you off meds all at once.

Cpap therapy isn't a cure all for treating high blood pressure, although from my own experience it has helped lower my blood pressure, but not enough to go without my meds.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2016, 01:44 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Well, I guess you would want to watch that your BP doesn't start to creep back up to 142/95.
You should also watch for headaches and dizziness, and report this to your doctor.

I am surprised your doctor just doesn't slowly lower your dosage, not take you off meds all at once.

Cpap therapy isn't a cure all for treating high blood pressure, although from my own experience it has helped lower my blood pressure, but not enough to go without my meds.

hi I am taking olmetec 20mg the lowest pills I can take according the doctor, I am really worry about creeping back and side effect after stopping the pills.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 705 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.