Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Grin Huge Victory
I have been working on getting a lot of my numbers in line recently in certain areas of my health. Being diabetic, I get held to a lower set of numbers in dealing with things like BP, Cholesterol, etc. I just got back some of my numbers (my HMO has an online section where you can get test results!) and all of my cholesterol numbers look great! Only one is still outside where they want it to be but even that is way down from 6 months ago! All of my kidney tests and such look great! Even my fasting blood glucose was down to 117! My A1C is still not posted yet, so time will tell how I have done with my blood glucose over the past 3 months, but the one I almost passed out about...my blood pressure came in at 112/77! I don't think it has even been that low in my entire life! Sorry for being so stoked, but any other diabetics on here will understand! I have literally been walking in the rain to get enough exercise, eating nothing I want and only things that are good for me! I want a slice of pizza so badly! HAHA! If this keeps up I'll have to actually make my appointment for my eye exam that I have been ignoring for the past couple years! :grin:
Mike

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
05-27-2012 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

RE: Huge Victory
Sounds like you're doing things right. Keep up the good work!!
I know what it's like to get good glucose and cholesteral numbers, also know about bad numbers too.
You deserve to be happy with numbers like that.
05-27-2012 03:58 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Wow, nice work, MJ...

That must be encouraging to see your efforts paying off. Well-done

Go out and get a low-fat, low-sugar vegi pizza as a reward to yourself. Gotta have those small rewards built into your plan - it helps keep you on track.

For me, for milestones like this, I go out and buy a small bag of 100% Colombian coffee beans (fresh). Keeps me motivated. Coffee

lots-o-coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-27-2012 04:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550

Other Comments:

(05-27-2012 04:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Go out and get a low-fat, low-sugar vegi pizza as a reward to yourself. Gotta have those small rewards built into your plan - it helps keep you on track.

Recently I came up glucose intolerant as well.... the cheese would be VERY unpleasant! I'll stick with some sugar free jello! There's always room for jello! LOL! I just want the pizza, but there's nothing about it I can have! You always want what you can't have! At least I do!
Thanks
Mike

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

05-27-2012 05:28 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I strongly urge you to see a dietician. Not a nutritionist, but a registered dietician. A good one can help you look at your life style, look at what you will and will not compromise on, and then help you come up with a plan.

It's not necessarily that pizza is bad for you. It's all about portion. That's what helped me 2 yrs ago. I was doing good on my "diet". I could almost eat anything I wanted, just not a whole lot of it. The hardest part for me was breakfast. The easiest thing? Using a small cup, putting my fave snack in it (chips, crackers, whatever) and taking that into the office with me. Not the box, just that cup full.

But then I spent a summer up Nawth (my mom was ill) with my brother and his family. All they eat is pasta and pizza and Chick Fil A. All the weight I lost, I gained right back. And I lost my drive to continue the diet when I finally went home. I'm on better diabetes meds now so it is time I try it again.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-27-2012 06:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-27-2012 06:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  I'm on better diabetes meds now so it is time I try it again.

Paula,
I have had so much dietitian training I could just about teach it myself! I control my diabetes through diet and exercise. I do not take pills so in order to do this I have to be even stricter with my diet. When I was diagnosed the doctor said he was putting me on Metformin and I said no, I want to try it another way first. His reply; "You will come back to me begging for this prescription" He is not my doctor anymore, hasn't been since 5 minutes after that came out of his mouth! It took me that long to reach member services and change doctors! That was over 10 years ago and I have never yet had another A1C over 6.8! As we were discussing on another thread, doctors are not always right. Did you know that in the United States no nutritional or Dietitian classes are required for a medical degree? Educate yourself, and there is a good possibility you may be able to have options. Whether the doctors agree or not. I am reasonable though. The first time I pull a 7 on an A1C (since my initial DX of course), I'll take their pills. Until then, I am always mindful of what I eat, how much I exercise and I test regularly to ensure everything is going as expected. As we age, we naturally become more insulin resistant. I am over 50 so I figure the fight is on. I am realistic about the fact I may need pharmaceutical assistance at some point, but not today! Smile

05-27-2012 06:25 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Yeah, metformin is not for everyone. It did not work for me and actually made my lows and highs worse. Diet did not work (I can't exercise).

My fasting glucose that day was 185 but my A1c was 4.7. This meant I did more crashing than anything else. We monitored for 2 months then started the metformin. After a year of that and getting more and more depressed about it (no matter what I did, it went way up then dropped like a rock). I take Actos now. But it's about to be removed from the market. I hope there's something to replace it.

I'm glad you've been able to keep it down without medication! That's great!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-27-2012 06:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

Sounds like you are what I have heard referred to as a brittle diabetic. I hadn't heard that they were removing Actos. Is is because of some sort of side effect (i.e. death) that they didn't bother to find out about before release? Sorry to sound rude, but I sometimes think these drug companies are our enemies and not our friends! It just seems like they rush so much to market without finding out all the side effects it is just criminal. Of course the FDA releases it so who is the criminal? We all know that it is all about the $$$ and not about us! I do wish you luck with finding a replacement.
As far as exercise goes, I am pretty arthritic myself and have issues with exercise, but just getting out and walking as much as I can even if it is down the driveway in the morning, noon and evening helps. I need a couple new hips and a new knee, but I really would rather not go through that. Once you start down that road....well it doesn't always end up so good! I feel for you on the exercise thing. Working it the only way I can, just keep plugging away! Of course if I hadn't shot myself in the knee when I was a kid it might have helped! LOL! I do have a weird and sordid past!
Mike

05-27-2012 08:12 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Actos has a record for causing bladder cancer. It has been removed from a lot of European markets. I was at the neurologist office a few weeks ago and his nurse was surprised I was taking it. He thought it had already been removed. He worked weekends at a nursing home and they had taken all their patients off of it a few weeks prior.

I can see myself on insulin within the next few years if another medication cannot be found. When my mom was sick a few summers ago (Guilliam-Barre syndrome) they put her on insulin because all the steroids were shooting her glucose level way high. She is off of it now, I think. She has it, her mother and grandmother did, I do, and both my brothers. So it is a genetic thing that could not be avoided. Yay.

You do have a weird path. Bless your heart. It's okay. You fit in well.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-27-2012 09:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-27-2012 09:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Actos has a record for causing bladder cancer.

You know that's like those commercials on television these past few years. They advertise a medication (prescription no less which seems weird to me anyway) and if they say what the medication is for they have to give the side effects. I swear in most cases I would rather have the illness/condition they are trying to treat! Some of them even list death as a side effect! Marvelous! So they treat the one condition with their drug, cause another condition, but wait, we have a medication for that too....and the cycle continues! I'm not anti drugs (RX that is), but there just has to be some common sense in there somewhere.

Just checked and my A1C came back at 6.3 which is down .1 from last period!

I hope your mom is doing better. We have a history of Type 2 in our family on my mom's side. Pretty much everyone has it. I thought it was weight and the things they eat, but apparently that is not so. The only thing left really is that there is some sort of inheritance there. I'm sure someday they will discover exactly what that is and how to turn off that gene or whatever.

Of course we also have a history of colon cancer on both sides! So every 5 years I get to go in for this lovely procedure where they take a camera crew, get you really stoned and "Boldly go where no-one has gone before"! After the first time it's not so bad. The unknown part is always the worst. After you have it done a few times it's no biggie.

Well everyone have a great day!
Mike

05-28-2012 08:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry A Huge Pile of Boris Johnson Dreamcatcher 2 1,127 08-13-2012 06:31 AM
Last Post: Dreamcatcher