Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Medical Emergency prep
Medical Emergency prep
So let's say you have other conditions or have an accident or whatever.

What do you have in place to let others know (during a medical emergency) you have sleep apnea?

If a bad enough emergency, you'll have a vent tube and sleep apnea is taken care of. But what about those events in between?

Sleep apnea during a medical emergency can be detrimental. We won't be sleeping well and our blood O2 would be low. Both of which isn't good for healing. So unless we're on a ventilator, we'd need to be using our CPAP.

I just joined MedicAlert and while I can add that I have a CPAP, there's not a text field to enter in pressure setting. I instead put it where they asked for the serial number.

I'm thinking of putting a card on the bottom of my machine. Attaching it with clear tape. I don't want them contacting my sleep doc (don't even remember his name, actually). But it could have the pressure setting so that if they insist on their own machine, they can set it right.

Thoughts?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medical Emergency prep
Paula,

I was in the hospital last year for a totally apnea unrelated issue. I took my CPAP, but they almost didn't let me use it. There is a liability issue with any non-hospital supplied equipment, just like they won't let you take your own medications. Who would be liable if your machine was contaminated with Legionaires Disease? I understand.

To keep the story short, I had a copy of my sleep study and my CPAP script from the doctor in the CPAP case, as well as TSA letters, etc. (different topic). They let me use the machine for the couple nights I was there. I never did ask what would be the alternate if I was refused. No one even mentioned if the hospital had their own equipment.

You make an excellent point, if you are lying there unconscious and your blood oxygen starts dropping below 80%, they may think it is related to some other problem when all you need is your trusty reverse vacuum cleaner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because I live in a very remote area of Nevada and do not drive, I have my medical information in two places. A brief medical history, medications (and why I take them), allergies and emergency numbers are posted on my refrigerator under a magnet that says "EMT" and also in my passport (which, instead of a driver's license, I use for identification). The posting on the refrigerator is standard practice for those of us who live in our valley. The EMTs know where to look for it. And, having worked in an ER many years ago, I know if something happens when I'm away from home, my purse will go with me to the ER and my passport (identification) will be the first thing they look for. Thanks, Paula02 for reminding me to add CPAP information! It's time to do some updating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many hospitals now have foldable wallet cards for medications. I carry one of those. Now I have the MedicAlert card with medications and other medical info (like allergies) as well as the number to call for the latest. I noticed though that the CPAP wasn't on there. I may add a small sticker or something. Not sure. Or have them redo it with it on the card.

Anyway, my medications are taken care of as long as I keep MedicAlert notified of changes. Easy to do online. Same with the card from our local hospital. I redid it and printed it out so it is legible.

I also have an ICE (in case of emergency) app on my phone that is accessible without unlocking phone. In that is a list of medications and conditions.

But I realized today that I am leaving the CPAP out of everything when it is just as important!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a card by my insurance card that lists the number to call and website with my medical information. I need to verify that they have sleep apnea listed. Thank you for the reminder!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 963 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  My medical provider called me, they want to schedule my titration study. Should I go? Phil487 8 1,069 07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 465 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa
  AirMini Power Consumption for Emergency Use foss 15 2,531 04-12-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  BIPAP as emergency ventilator? Morgannon 1 414 02-10-2023, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  out of the emergency room, no insurance. what are my options? eighto 4 744 07-18-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  3B Medical Luna Auto CPAP PaulaBunyan 4 1,940 06-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: johndoh670

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.