Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

TheAspiringSleeper [Therapy Thread]
RE: Mild Sleep Apnea - How Important to Treat?
PS

What are your settings on your ResMed 11? That OSCAR attachment seems to have failed.

Saw your settings in the other thread.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User - Not Sleeping
I am in agreement with sleeprider. You can feel free to reduce the maximum pressure as much as necessary to fight the air swallowing bloated feeling. You have some room to reduce, and 7 to 9 may just do it for you. Even though you have EPR set to 1, it is also set to ramp only. You'll want to set the EPR to Full Time. And if 1, 2, or 3 each will have a little different feel to them. Good luck and restful sleep.

QAL

By the way, EPR of 2 most resembles the APAP setting on DS2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Giggles. The sleep study does show a few things. Only one I will comment on now. You have best, most stable oxygen levels and least flow limitations when on your left side and prone (though for a short time). I generally suggest left side sleeping anyway, but for you it really will help. Other thread has pressure suggestions, so now just sleep, short or long, we are pulling for you.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh man, it pains me to hear you say the "looming specter" of wearing a CPAP the rest of your life. I also had just slightly higher than mild apnea, and I sleep super lightly and am super sensitive to anything touching my skin; everything itches or tickles me lol. Even for my at-home sleep study, I didn't sleep for one minute the whole first night. I had to do it a second night to get any sleep at all. Fast-forward to three months later, and I'm already trying to work out ways to take my CPAP machine camping, because I LOVE it. I have more energy and I'm soooooooo thankful for it. It took me a little while to get used to it and dial it in, but it's one of the best things that happened to me. For me, having the hose attach at the top of my head made it easy to deal with, and nasal cushions seemed to be the best, though nasal pillows were a close second. I had mouth leaking at the beginning, so I was sure i would need a full face mask. I trusted what I read on this board and the leaks fixed themselves in about a week. I'd never go back to life without a CPAP! I wish you great luck ! DD
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: TheAspiringSleeper [Therapy Thread]
Thank you Dave. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm still holding out hope that I'll figure out how to sleep with the device, but it's definitely been an uphill battle so far. I've had more than a few nights where I slept with it all night, but I haven't had the experience of waking up more rested or feeling better. Lately I've been having real trouble falling asleep with it on, and if I do manage to fall asleep I wake up in an hour or two and can't fall back asleep Sad.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2021, 12:45 PM)TheAspiringSleeper Wrote: Thank you Dave. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm still holding out hope that I'll figure out how to sleep with the device, but it's definitely been an uphill battle so far. I've had more than a few nights where I slept with it all night, but I haven't had the experience of waking up more rested or feeling better. Lately I've been having real trouble falling asleep with it on, and if I do manage to fall asleep I wake up in an hour or two and can't fall back asleep Sad.

Hang in there! Play around with different masks and be pro-active. I'm terrible at that stuff, but did just enough to squeak by (my life story lol). It will get better!
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of us did not find adjusting to using a pap machine an easy thing. But honestly, it is worth it. It will help if you can get your depression and anxiety under better control. I have fought with both of those for years, and have them under control now with good medication. Also like you, I had atrial fibrillation. That is why my doctor suggested I get tested for apnea and sure enough, I have it. Apnea can lead to more a-fib and many other health problems, so it is really important to learn to use your pap machine. It may be an uphill battle, but you can do it! It just takes time and adherence. The folks here will help you with getting your settings just right and will offer you much other valuable advice. I repeat - YOU CAN DO IT!!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Mate, I can’t help with the adjustments to the CPAP settings but can say it took me a few months of steady small changes whilst monitoring the impact on sleep quality to “dial-in” the right settings for me. I do use a full-face mask even though I am not a mouth breather as I found it most comfortable, but as a result I never had to fight the large leak daemons.

One thing that did help was wearing the bloody thing while watching some telly at night to help adjust to the feeling of something on my face. I have found my optimal pressure for now is 11-15, even though I should have a higher max pressure it caused aerophagia. Over the past few months I have become comfortable with those settings understanding the trade-off is a slightly higher AHI (still typically < 1) for quality sleep. As a result I no longer need an afternoon kip to make it through the day, which tells me it is working.

As you have noted it is a process. The CPAP forums have been a wealth of information and I read much but post little as the answers typically can be found with a search. KBO and you’ll find the sweet spot for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,337 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 956 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.