Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Minor Benefit to Sleep
Minor Benefit to Sleep
We all have seen lots of articles in the press and online abut how important sleep is, and all the benefits that we get from successful treating of SDB. But I notice lots of little things that are improved since starting CPAP therapy, things that keep me embracing my device. How about sharing some of those things that can be really encouraging for new users?

I'll Start:
  • My ability to really look at things i have written and take time to improve- I am a more effective communicator.
  • I can switch gears mentally much more easily - muti-tasking is doable ( I don't believe in multitasking per se, but I can drop one thing, do something else and come back more  easily)
  • I just flat out like myself more, and feel better about me as a human being.
  • I like and find greater respect for other people too. 
Anyway, please share some of those things that you did not expect but have come to pass with SDB treatment that have delighted you. like
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Minor Benefit to Sleep
More patience for my wife and kids. Smile Huge plus right there!

Also much more energy during the day and quicker recovery from minor injuries.
Post Reply Post Reply
1.  Thought I was being overly nice to everyone, wife corrected me, said that I had only reached normal that I had been a son of a b...h before. Ha!

2.  My moods range from good to euphoric, not many low moods or if so they don't last as long

3.  My sinuses have never been better.  The pressure of the machine and humidity have me breathing better than all the steroidal nose sprays, antihistamines combined.

4.  I DO NOT SNORE ANYMORE!!  My wife is very happy!

5.  The best part is that I am going to live longer and be able to keep benefiting from my family, friends and everything else!!  I am an expecting grandfather my daughter informed me that I was being selfish in not getting my sleep apnea under control and it would be a shame not to be able to be part of their lives.  Not a bad motivator!  

I would rename the thread as major miracles due to apnea treated sleep.  Thanks to all you members that help these miracles to happen!
Post Reply Post Reply
Greater capacity for exercise, and also enjoy exercise more.
Skin and hair look  healthier.
No longer "pent up" and anxious all the time.
I don't recall as many dreams, and when I do, they are pleasant, not upsetting. I don't miss all those dreams!
No more raiding the fridge at midnight, and fewer cravings for snacks during the day too.
Headaches are a thing of the past.

When I look back over the past year I can hardly believe the wonderful benefits of CPAP, and I'm very pleased.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 10:56 AM)silversnore Wrote: 1.  Thought I was being overly nice to everyone, wife corrected me, said that I had only reached normal that I had been a son of a b...h before. Ha!

2.  My moods range from good to euphoric, not many low moods or if so they don't last as long

3.  My sinuses have never been better.  The pressure of the machine and humidity have me breathing better than all the steroidal nose sprays, antihistamines combined.

4.  I DO NOT SNORE ANYMORE!!  My wife is very happy!

5.  The best part is that I am going to live longer and be able to keep benefiting from my family, friends and everything else!!  I am an expecting grandfather my daughter informed me that I was being selfish in not getting my sleep apnea under control and it would be a shame not to be able to be part of their lives.  Not a bad motivator!  

I would rename the thread as major miracles due to apnea treated sleep.  Thanks to all you members that help these miracles to happen!

All great results. I think the major things are well covered in the success story thread, I was more interested in those things that usually are not thought about or mentioned as being sleep apnea related. One more from me is that my nose is way less red and irritated looking. My nose has always looked very irritated and red, with lots of whiteheads (even at age 60 zits!), but now it looks like the rest of my skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Less expected physical changes I've noticed:

A recurrent ear infection cleared up after a month of being on CPAP, not to return. (so glad, it was a real pain!)
My eyes are no longer red every morning.
My nails are stronger, not breaking as easily.
I used to have cracked heels and this has resolved over the past year without me doing anything different, except for CPAP. Maybe there is a connection, or this is just a coincidence, but I'm pleased about this!

These seem small, rather silly things, but to me, each one is an indicator that my body is healing from untreated OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes Timur, I think there are lot of these "little" things that I attribute to lack of rest and inflammatory conditions brought on be SA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not wet the bed since starting CPAP.  
My days are no longer dominated by anxiety attacks and and depression.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a hose head for almost twenty years. I don't sleep at all without a CPAP. I wish I had access to this board back when I first started using CPAP.

Ability to concentrate, focus improved.

Mood greatly improved.

I'm alive, don't think I would be without it.

I used to have cracked heels also. (I would not have listed this if someone else had not, weird.)

Many more to add when I think of them.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 11:06 AM)Timur Wrote: Greater capacity for exercise, and also enjoy exercise more. Tick
Skin and hair look  healthier. Tick, Although I don't have any more hair Smile
No longer "pent up" and anxious all the time.  Tick, however not totally gone
I don't recall as many dreams, and when I do, they are pleasant, not upsetting. I don't miss all those dreams!  Tick, I used to suffer from night terrors
Headaches are a thing of the past. Tick, and I used to be a migraine sufferer for years

I have a chronic lung disease and CPAP has helped with that as I am getting far better oxygen levels during the night. My energy levels are much better and exhaustion is a symptom of the disease. So life is much better all round.

James
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 87 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 78 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 230 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 264 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Could I benefit from going to BiPap VAuto? vinhuard 29 1,740 01-31-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: vinhuard
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,426 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Apparent worsening of symptoms during minor illness TryingToGetItRight 0 274 09-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.