Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help
RE: Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help
Thank you all. I'll work on getting this set up and get back to you with the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
As an offer of moral support: just remember that the machine is helping, and it can't stop your breathing, suffocate you, nor drown you. And, that the machine is actually PREVENTING your body doing exactly that to you (airways shutdown and you can't breathe is what Apnea is all about).

I also fought the "can't breathe" problem, and was given an Auto setting machine so pressures can start low and increase only when needed; there are ways to reduce that initial exhale pressure so it isn't so daunting. Also, the changes are easy to make on your own.

I took me a couple of months after getting the settings right to become fully comfortable with the mask and machine blowing in my face -- lol -- but today, decades later I can't get to sleep unless they are there with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2023, 01:05 PM)GWild Wrote: As an offer of moral support: just remember that the machine is helping, and it can't stop your breathing, suffocate you, nor drown you. And, that the machine is actually PREVENTING your body doing exactly that to you (airways shutdown and you can't breathe is what Apnea is all about).

I also fought the "can't breathe" problem, and was given an Auto setting machine so pressures can start low and increase only when needed; there are ways to reduce that initial exhale pressure so it isn't so daunting. Also, the changes are easy to make on your own.

I took me a couple of months after getting the settings right to become fully comfortable with the mask and machine blowing in my face -- lol -- but today, decades later I can't get to sleep unless they are there with me.

Thank you for that. It's this "oxygen-starved" feeling after I use the device that's a major source of my hesitation and panic. It's like I also have this underlying fear that I'll become dependent on the machine to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, it's Beerdujour on Reddit.
Even if your session is only a few minutes it will help us to help you. You already have had a number of the best come on to help you. One thing that does set us apart from many others is that most of our opinions are based on the data that we are asking for and as such are not guesses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2023, 02:03 PM)Gideon Wrote: Sleeprider, it's Beerdujour on Reddit.
Even if your session is only a few minutes it will help us to help you.  You already have had a number of the best come on to help you.  One thing that does set us apart from many others is that most of our opinions are based on the data that we are asking for and as such are not guesses.

Thank you. Will definitely work on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone, 

I want to thank you all for helping me - talking to me, assuring me, providing advice - I'm sitting here with my mask on and my BiPAP doing its thing. I was finally able to get ahold of my doctor, who was able to have my pressure remotely reduced from 25/21 to 10/6. I downloaded OSCAR and have my SD card loaded. It's 2 am and I should try to get some sleep, I just feel wide-awake right now. If all goes well, I'll try to upload the data when I get back home from work. 

In the meantime, I do have some questions. Where do I post the SD card data? Second, for the first 10-15 minutes or so of wearing the device, I got this tingling/fuzzy feeling in my head and I think maybe even my hands and feet. I don't feel the sensation anymore, but that had me concerned for a bit. Also, I've been sitting here with the device running and a pulse oximeter on my finger. I've watched my blood oxygen range from 97% at the lowest to 100% - I imagine sleep will be a whole different story - but, am I in a good range here? 

Again, thank you so much. *virtual hugs*
Post Reply Post Reply
Just as a follow-up, I tried going to sleep while wearing the device with a pulse oximeter on my finger. 

I would begin to fall asleep and then awaken as it felt like my breathing stopped. My partner noticed my blood oxygen percentage drop to the 80s. I think the lowest may have been 80%. 

This is my first successful attempt at wearing the device at home, but sleeping with it is a new challenge. I feel like my breathing stops more frequently now.

I recently had my doctor lower the pressure setting from 25/21 to 10/6. Could this be the reason for me stopping my breathing? Im guessing it may be the reason for my low blood oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zuriaki, could you fill us in on the results of your diagnostic sleep study. Any central apnea?

A lower pressure on your BiPAP should not significantly lower your SpO2 by itself, but in the presence of apnea or hypopnea, it can. The real question we need to get to is what is going on with your respiration as you fall asleep that your respiratory needs are not met. People are hard-wired to breathe to keep blood gasses balanced, and when oxygen drops or CO2 builds up, we have respiratory impulses that can't be ignored. Some people experience a lag in that respiratory drive and find they become overly desaturated before it kicks in, but for now, I'm just trying to guess at the reason you're not breathing on cue. If you have a central apnea problem, then you need a different therapy. Please fill in the blanks on the results of any dignostic or titration testing. Posting redacted copies of those test results would be great.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your DS 1 has a front panel that can report your AHI for the sessions. Can you jot those down?
I am glad you have a partner that can keep an eye on you.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2023, 10:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Zuriaki, could you fill us in on the results of your diagnostic sleep study.  Any central apnea?

A lower pressure on your BiPAP should not significantly lower your SpO2 by itself, but in the presence of apnea or hypopnea, it can.  The real question we need to get to is what is going on with your respiration as you fall asleep that your respiratory needs are not met.  People are hard-wired to breathe to keep blood gasses balanced, and when oxygen drops or CO2 builds up, we have respiratory impulses that can't be ignored.  Some people experience a lag in that respiratory drive and find they become overly desaturated before it kicks in, but for now, I'm just trying to guess at the reason you're not breathing on cue.  If you have a central apnea problem, then you need a different therapy.  Please fill in the blanks on the results of any dignostic or titration testing. Posting redacted copies of those test results would be great.

Thank you. 

I don't know if I have central sleep apnea. I went back through my doctor's notes following my sleep study and all it said was "diagnosis: obstructive sleep apnea." Literally, aside from the Doctor's name and time of sleep study, that's it. 

I came across this on the Mayo Clinic 

• CPAP. Some people with obstructive sleep apnea develop central sleep apnea while using continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP). This condition is known as treatment-emergent central sleep apnea. It is a combination of obstructive and central sleep apneas.
    For some people, complex sleep apnea goes away with continued use of a CPAP device. Other people may be treated with a different kind of positive airway pressure therapy.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but this prospect certainly contributes to my ongoing anxiety in this endeavor. I'll follow up with my doctor and try to get more details. 

From what I know, pre-sleep study and pre-BiPAP-fitting event, I would periodically wakeup from sleep gasping for air. After my sleep study, I noticed my apnea was worse and it took months to return to pre-sleep study conditions. And then, about five days ago, I did my BiPAP fitting at the doctor-recommended pressure of 25, wore it for a couple minutes, and it left me with this very negative reaction. Since then, my sleep is either non-existent or pretty bad - reminiscent of how I felt after I did the sleep study. 

While wearing the machine tonight, I would start drifting to sleep and then I'd find myself awake and gasping for air. My partner observed the pulse oximeter on my finger go as low as 80%. If I don't breathe, this device won't push air into my lungs, so I can see how that's a problem. 

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Attached Files
.pdf   First Night Data - ApneaBoard Edit - Feb 22 2023.pdf (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 2)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 166 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 379 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 454 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 395 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 758 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  [Diagnosis] Symptomatic but Sleep Apnea Negative per WatchPat Ninjaa 10 1,097 05-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ninjaa
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 713 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.