Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Neighbours Say I'm Loud
Neighbours Say I'm Loud
When I got my VPAP replaced a couple years ago, I hated the new one (Resmed S9). They never bothered calibrating it, and said it'll automatically adjust. 3 years later, I'm in these apartments where my neighbors complain about my "noise". First, they complained about my snoring. Guy next door went into a rampage, screaming, yelling, and activating his car alarm to wake me up. That did the trick, until I got so tired, I went back to sleep and ignored him.

[I'll skip some other details in between], but LUCKILY, I found another forum that allowed me to access to secret menu to readjust the settings on the machine. Works great. Been recording with my microphone, and I only snore for about 5 minutes for 8 hours of sleep. The problem is with the higher settings, the machine is louder than before. The upstairs neighbours display their anger by stomping their feet on their floor/my ceiling as they pace around.

Need to save up some money before I can move out. In the meantime, anyone have tips on staying quiet when you live in a place with poor insulation/soundproofing?

Sincerely,

That Loud Guy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neighbours Say I'm Loud
You must have really thin walls!

Actually, my snoring used to be so bad that my dog would leave the room when she noticed I was about to dose off. Even my wife would frequently find somewhere else to practice her snoring when I got wound up. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto. My poor abused ears can't even hear it when it is operational. My wife verifies that as well. My average pressure based on the Sleepyhead software is now about 11, for reference.

Whatever machine they used at the sleep study center a month ago (Resmed S9?) was also too quiet for me to hear.

Sounds like your neighbors are wound really tight.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2015, 11:38 AM)Theysayimloud Wrote: When I got my VPAP replaced a couple years ago, I hated the new one (Resmed S9). They never bothered calibrating it, and said it'll automatically adjust. 3 years later, I'm in these apartments where my neighbors complain about my "noise". First, they complained about my snoring. Guy next door went into a rampage, screaming, yelling, and activating his car alarm to wake me up. That did the trick, until I got so tired, I went back to sleep and ignored him.

[I'll skip some other details in between], but LUCKILY, I found another forum that allowed me to access to secret menu to readjust the settings on the machine. Works great. Been recording with my microphone, and I only snore for about 5 minutes for 8 hours of sleep. The problem is with the higher settings, the machine is louder than before. The upstairs neighbours display their anger by stomping their feet on their floor/my ceiling as they pace around.

Need to save up some money before I can move out. In the meantime, anyone have tips on staying quiet when you live in a place with poor insulation/soundproofing?

Sincerely,

That Loud Guy

resmed is usually quiet. put a towel or something like that under your machine and see if that helps. I would also suggest taking it for a check up to the DME (hopefully you have a good one).
Post Reply Post Reply
my previous s9, a loaner, had to be swapped out for a new machine because of the noise -- a constant mewing sound, like an angry cat, with every breath I took. Didn't bother the neighbors, only me, but I have to say my new S9 is a true darling: the only sound I hear is my breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2015, 11:38 AM)Theysayimloud Wrote: When I got my VPAP replaced a couple years ago, I hated the new one (Resmed S9). They never bothered calibrating it, and said it'll automatically adjust. 3 years later, I'm in these apartments where my neighbors complain about my "noise". First, they complained about my snoring. Guy next door went into a rampage, screaming, yelling, and activating his car alarm to wake me up. That did the trick, until I got so tired, I went back to sleep and ignored him.

Sincerely,

That Loud Guy

Personally, I think you are dealing with a poor working machine that should at least been repaired under warranty. My brothers old Bipap was really loud after a few years, the new one is totally silent.
Post Reply Post Reply
foss: Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I have mine started out at about 6.6, and it steps up to 7.6, where at most, it elevates to 16 if needed. I don't know, maybe the brain sends a signal that cancels out the snoring? I can't hear myself at all, but other people can. The only way I know is if it's so bad, I choke myself awake, but that only happens without the CPAP.

Me50 & Mosquitobait & nativedancer: I think the machine works fine. The noise it makes is no louder than before. The only increase in noise is from the raised setting increases, where more air is hitting into the mask, so when I breathe it sounds louder. (I'll try to hold my breath for 8 hours I suppose.) Seriously though, I'll try putting a towel under the machine and seeing if it might reduce something, but my machine is serviced at the doctor's, and I'm not sure taking it to them will help one bit.

The other day, I took a measurement of my dB levels at every action I take. Taking showers was around 50dB, the CPAP breathing at most peaked at 40dB.

Maybe I should just buy a "cone of silence", anyone remember that from the TV series "Get Smart"?
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe your neighbors are from Kaos?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, a couple suggestions. Can you actually speak to your neighbors? Offer them say a fan for white noise. Many people, including me, use wave sound apps to drown out city noise (or dead quiet). Another option is to change your living arrangements and sleep in the living room at night. Then, you won't wake them up in the bedroom. That might reduce the rampage at least until you move. That said, if the sound is from the mask, then putting g the machine on a towel won't make a difference. I don't know enough about masks to really advise you on that though. Me and the cat are still having mask issues.

We once threatened my Dad with a cone of silence. Get Smart was one of his favorite shows. He stopped snoring when they got a waterbed.

I'm not sure decibels is always the problem. Few things are more irritating than a dripping faucet and most of the time, it's a very quiet sound. Snoring generally falls into that same category.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're experiencing audible snoring (even 5 minutes) then the machine possibly isn't optimised. I'd suggest you get hold of SleepyHead software (link here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ ) and see what's happening. If your neighbours can hear either your machine or mask in another apartment, then something's wrong. These things should be extremely quiet, if not actually silent. If it's the mask that's causing the problem, it could be that the vented air is blowing on something (eg edge of the sheet) which is causing some noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Moving this to the Main Forum since it is CPAP related.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [Equipment] Transcend Micro very loud chipschap 5 959 02-25-2024, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Rkaechler
  New AirSense 10 is very loud. xian67 2 392 12-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 110 145,247 10-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Sleepstyle F&P is very loud bibbie 5 541 09-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Resmed air sense 10 LOUD!! Mike A 6 904 08-18-2022, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.