Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Phillips-Respironics DS6T Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-13 A-Flex 2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: SYSTEM ONE resistance set to X1 for P10

Sex: Male
RE: Health Net and ASV
Although I've yet to even see a sleep doc (Tuesday), I've tried to get a bit familiar with OSA and CSA, both CSR and non-CSR, as well as Complex. So I'll hopefully understand whatever my study diagnoses. I've also acquired and studied the ResMed Clinical Guides for the CPAP and CPAP AutoSet (both E0601, CPAP), S and AUTOV (both E0470, Bilevel), and ST and ASV (both E0471, Bilevel with backup breathing rate). As a tech guy, I understand their different modes of operation. The AirCurve ASV is the only one that allows PS to vary throughout the night and with ASV Auto engaged, the machine has control over EPAP, as well as PS and hence IPAP.
04-10-2015 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(04-10-2015 12:42 PM)iSnore Wrote:  Although I've yet to even see a sleep doc (Tuesday), I've tried to get a bit familiar with OSA and CSA, both CSR and non-CSR, as well as Complex. So I'll hopefully understand whatever my study diagnoses. I've also acquired and studied the ResMed Clinical Guides for the CPAP and CPAP AutoSet (both E0601, CPAP), S and AUTOV (both E0470, Bilevel), and ST and ASV (both E0471, Bilevel with backup breathing rate). As a tech guy, I understand their different modes of operation. The AirCurve ASV is the only one that allows PS to vary throughout the night and with ASV Auto engaged, the machine has control over EPAP, as well as PS and hence IPAP.

Right.

Also check out the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP AutoSV Advanced with Heated Tube. It has far more settings and is more configurable (and misconfigurable) than the ResMed ASV models.

The PRS1 BiPAP Auto also adjusts PS, but very slowly, such as perhaps 1 cmH2O per few minutes, in order to minimize Flow Limitation and RERAs. The corresponding ResMed AirCurve 10 Auto uses fixed (manually adjusted) PS. Because the standard bi-level Auto machines do not adjust PS quickly, they cannot treat sudden central apneas.

An ASV machine will adjust PS very quickly, perhaps from its min to its max in just a few seconds, to do for us all the work of breathing if we suddenly stop our breathing effort.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 01:52 PM by vsheline.)
04-11-2015 11:20 AM
iSnore Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Phillips-Respironics DS560TS REMstar Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Phillips-Respironics DS6T Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-13 A-Flex 2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: SYSTEM ONE resistance set to X1 for P10

(04-11-2015 11:20 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:42 PM)iSnore Wrote:  Although I've yet to even see a sleep doc (Tuesday), I've tried to get a bit familiar with OSA and CSA, both CSR and non-CSR, as well as Complex. So I'll hopefully understand whatever my study diagnoses. I've also acquired and studied the ResMed Clinical Guides for the CPAP and CPAP AutoSet (both E0601, CPAP), S and AUTOV (both E0470, Bilevel), and ST and ASV (both E0471, Bilevel with backup breathing rate). As a tech guy, I understand their different modes of operation. The AirCurve ASV is the only one that allows PS to vary throughout the night and with ASV Auto engaged, the machine has control over EPAP, as well as PS and hence IPAP.

Right.

Also check out the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP AutoSV Advanced with Heated Tube. It has far more settings and is more configurable (and misconfigurable) than the ResMed ASV models.

That's one thing I've noticed about the AirCurve ASV--very little tweakablility even compared to the bilevel VAUTO. Fine if you want everything automatic.

(04-11-2015 11:20 AM)vsheline Wrote:  The PRS1 BiPAP Auto also adjusts PS, but very slowly, such as perhaps 1 cmH2O per few minutes, in order to minimize Flow Limitation and RERAs. The corresponding ResMed AirCurve 10 Auto uses fixed (manually adjusted) PS.

An ASV machine will adjust PS very quickly, perhaps from its min to its max in just a few seconds, to do for us all the work of breathing if we suddenly stop our breathing effort.

This is good to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply!
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 11:44 AM by iSnore.)
04-11-2015 11:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Advise please - navigating US health system for a sleep study Carbon 16 1,112 07-21-2016 11:49 PM
Last Post: ED OF SO CAL
  Concerns about sleep and health joepodz 4 336 07-20-2016 07:07 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  VIC Roads health audits on Sleep Apnea sufferers Chevy59 11 995 05-04-2016 04:42 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  [Health] The apnea epidemic tmoody 13 1,029 04-21-2016 06:31 PM
Last Post: Terry
  New to CPAP- Questions for someone who wants to take charge of his health. Hermanoscott 7 934 01-14-2016 03:09 AM
Last Post: Diane1048
  [News] 6 Health Mistakes You’re Making Before 10 am ApneaNews 2 760 11-30-2015 04:21 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  [News] Can Sleeping On Your Left Side Solve Your Health Problems? ApneaNews 0 876 08-17-2015 10:38 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews