Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Health Net and ASV
Health Net and ASV
According to their National Medical Policy on ASVs (not enough posts to link to it), Health Net considers ASV unproven and not a medical necessity. Does this apply to E0471 as a whole? Anyone have experience with them and an ASV machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Health Net and ASV
Hi iSnore,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there, I'm sure someone does.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2015, 08:47 AM)iSnore Wrote: According to their National Medical Policy on ASVs (not enough posts to link to it), Health Net considers ASV unproven and not a medical necessity. Does this apply to E0471 as a whole? Anyone have experience with them and an ASV machine?

They're an insurance company and their opinion of "medically necessary" is irrelevant.

Ventilator technology is not new, is FDA approved for the purpose, and if you need it, they don't get to say "no", even if it means you have to get a lawyer and beat them into it.

I can see them rejecting it if you don't actually need it, but if you do, that just sounds bizzare. If you were in a hospital and needed to be on a ventilator, would they say that was "not medically necessary" also?

Post Reply Post Reply
Health insurance is a business, and you not "needing" a "special" machine means more money in their pockets. If a health insurance company or DME tells you the sky is blue you better darn well go check for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the responses. I'm finding that the machine you get is really between you and the DME, as long as they use the appropriately justified billing code. I'm looking forward to my first sleep doctor appointment Tuesday.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2015, 08:47 AM)iSnore Wrote: According to their National Medical Policy on ASVs (not enough posts to link to it), Health Net considers ASV unproven and not a medical necessity. Does this apply to E0471 as a whole? Anyone have experience with them and an ASV machine?

Perhaps that is true in the case of an OSA diagnosis, but not in the face of a CA diagnosis?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 12:32 PM)DariaVader Wrote:

Perhaps that is true in the case of an OSA diagnosis, but not in the face of a CA diagnosis?

Thanks for that observation. I'm thinking in the case of CA, HN would approve a prescription written for a "bilevel with backup rate" since a non-ASV AirCurve ST provides that. And since the ST and ASV are both E0471, they'd pay for the ASV if that's what the DME provided in lieu of the ST.

BTW, if you Google "Health Net ASV" the NMP on ASVs should be the first find. Their medical justification is laughable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Current Policy Statement
Health Net, Inc. considers adaptive servo-ventilation for the treatment of central or complex sleep apnea investigational due to insufficient evidence in the peer review published literature demonstrating its long- term safety and efficacy.

yeah, laughable, especially as they go on to explain the recommendations to the opposite effect
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 03:47 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Current Policy Statement
Health Net, Inc. considers adaptive servo-ventilation for the treatment of central or complex sleep apnea investigational due to insufficient evidence in the peer review published literature demonstrating its long- term safety and efficacy.

yeah, laughable, especially as they go on to explain the recommendations to the opposite effect

Exactly. Their citations support the opposite conclusion.
Post Reply Post Reply
While reading that policy statement, I was beginning to think that I was loonier than normal. Glad to hear that others got the same thing out of it that I did.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 162 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 285 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health Liteheart1 10 1,739 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Liteheart1
  Sleep health tips needed StillHoping 5 997 01-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: StillHoping
  [Equipment] New User DS7 Health Care Machine from Amazon mesmith9 9 1,362 01-13-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dental Health Decline Under CPAP Use Phil7 11 1,557 09-30-2021, 09:25 AM
Last Post: NelsonM
  [Health] Can OSAS be a (major) cause of my health problems? REvandenBerg 14 1,645 02-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.