Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Newbie Question
Newbie Question
Question.
I have been on CPAP for 6 months and have had great results.
However I have been a stomach sleeper all of my life and miss that sleep position.
Lately, I have been waking up after about 6-7 hours of sleeping with CPAP, taking off the headgear, and rolling back on my stomach and sleeping another hour or so.
Is this disrupting my treatment at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Question
By not using your mask for an hour your allowing the chance of having apnena events. These can lead to a reduction of O2 levels during events which can affect your overall heath. How much if at all I can't answer without a recording oximeter monitoring you during that hour.
If it does affect you it would be a long term thing. Not something you would notice short term.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would also depend on the severity of your untranslated apnea. Do you have the results from your sleep study?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2017, 02:35 PM)suzpigott Wrote: Question.
I have been on CPAP for 6 months and have had great results.
However I have been a stomach sleeper all of my life and miss that sleep position.
Lately, I have been waking up after about 6-7 hours of sleeping with CPAP, taking off the headgear, and rolling back on my stomach and sleeping another hour or so.
Is this disrupting my treatment at all?

You need to find a way to accommodate your need or desire for stomach sleeping.  A different pillow or mask might allow that.   For example a buckwheat CPAP pillow allows a space to be made for the mask, and lighter smaller masks like Dreamwear have the tube connected at the top of your head rather than from the front. I can sleep on my side and stomach (head turned to side) with Airfit P10 pillows. It's all about finding how to make it work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2017, 02:35 PM)suzpigott Wrote: However I have been a stomach sleeper all of my life and miss that sleep position.

My daughter started xPAP last summer and continues to sleep on her stomach. She's using an AirFit F10 full face mask and a ComfyComfy buckwheat pillow (although the pillow only since October).

Best of luck! Just remember that your treatment 'should' be happening every time you sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm able to sleep on my stomach with the ResMed nasal pillow.
Isn't all that easy though!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 442 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.