Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] OSA & SUDDEN DEATH
Angry 
OSA & SUDDEN DEATH
Before you decide to stop therapy...

Quote:Sudden death in individuals with obstructive sleep apnoea: a systematic review and meta-analysis 

Objectives Over 1 billion individuals worldwide experience some form of sleep apnoea, and this number is steadily rising. Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) can negatively influence one’s quality of life and potentially increase mortality risk. However, the association between OSA and mortality has not been reliably estimated. This meta-analysis estimates the risk of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in individuals with OSA.

Results We identified 22 observational studies (n=42 099 participants). The mean age was 62 years and 64% were men. OSA was associated with all-cause sudden death (RR=1.74, 95% CI: 1.44 to 2.10, I2=72%) and cardiovascular mortality (RR=1.94, 95% CI: 1.39 to 2.70, I2=32%). A marginally significant dose–response relationship between severity of OSA and the risk of death was observed (p for interaction=0.05): mild OSA (RR=1.16, 95% CI: 0.70 to 1.93), moderate OSA (RR=1.72, 95% CI: 1.11 to 2.67) and severe OSA (RR=2.87, 95% CI: 1.70 to 4.85). Meta-regression analysis showed that older age was a significant contributing factor in the relationship between OSA and mortality. The median study methodological quality was considered high.

Conclusions OSA is a significant risk factor for all-cause mortality and cardiac mortality. Prevention and treatment strategies to optimise survival and quality of life in individuals with OSA are urgently needed.

Quote:The study’s findings indicate that OSA is associated with several cardiovascular comorbidities, including hypertension, coronary artery disease, and congestive heart failure. Patients with OSA experience oxidative stress, or a lack of available oxygen to cells, which can contribute to an imbalance of antioxidants in the body. Over time, this imbalance damages cells and can speed up the aging process and lead to an array of health problems.

“Obstructive sleep apnea is a common condition that can have fatal consequences,” says coauthor John S. Oh, assistant professor in the surgery department at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. “This is something that many patients do not consider when they are diagnosed with the condition, and our research will hopefully bring more attention to its prevention and treatment.”

“This study highlights the importance of appropriate prevention measures to reduce the incidence of OSA and OSA-related sudden death,” says coauthor Emily Heilbrunn. “Providing accessible and affordable treatments for populations with OSA may ultimately reduce adverse health outcomes for these individuals.”

https://news.psu.edu/story/664326/2021/0...conditions

Obstructive sleep apnea doubles risk of sudden death - Futurity
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSA & SUDDEN DEATH
Yep. It's why I am driven by numbers far more than how I feel. Somehow most all my sleep was perceived as adequate rest until my PCP had me tested after a complaint about nocturia during a physical.

'Have all the following as listed above except for the last one, CHF. Not yet anyway, thank you Lord. I attribute them largely to simple untreated OSA and inspiratory flow limitations (IFL) and a snoring gene Smile Bed : "OSA is associated with several cardiovascular comorbidities, including hypertension, coronary artery disease, and congestive heart failure."

My wife's occasional sharp elbow or "Jon roll over" wasn't enough for this dolt situated among male snorers much of my life. It was ignorance. No way my wife's fault; she was raised with a father who also snored notoriously. 

OSA is no joke.  I could easily have been treated. It erupted worse, it just had to be worse--because I don't think one could live that way--in prolonged OA's, long total times in apnea (TTIA) and high AHI all my first 6 weeks at 7 cm fixed (all that before finding and learning from AB).
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps traffic accidents are in that OSA risk group too.
I uh know a guy who drove into a ditch and wrecked a vehicle. Luckily no one else was involved and he/she didn't suffer any long term effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
With a little thinking from those who wonder about the matter, OSA leads to stress response, which tends to elevate cortisol semi-permanently. Hypertension is sure to follow, and probably weight gain, yet another contributor to early death.  The OSA may be in a chicken/egg paradox, but it it affects sleep, the heart, hormone imbalances, weight gain and metabolic syndrome, one would have to reason that controlling for OSA to the extent possible is going to have the grandparent around the grandkids a little longer.  That can't ever be a bad thing.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 365 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 287 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,214 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 646 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno
  [CPAP] Need some help if possible - sudden change in response from 4hrs to 1.5hrs usage OverflowingJoyEntity 6 487 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: OverflowingJoyEntity
Question [CPAP] Sudden spike in AHI Airo 9 4,555 10-24-2023, 03:22 AM
Last Post: ario

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.