Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Path to spinal cord stimulant implant begins
OK, FWIW an update: The trial for Spinal Cord Stimulator trial is over as of 2:30 today. I discussed it with the rep and the surgeon who did the install. I do not regret doing the trial, but it is most likely not for me. I found out I cannot safely use it while driving, and it zaps me in unexpected ways as a passenger in the car. I also found out it can only be used to mask lumbar back pain, not the mid-back/thoracic area. I would still be using pain meds whether I have this implanted or not.

This means most of my personal goals to state this is an effective treatment would not be met. Less pain in a car and the ability to ride/drive for more than 30 minutes without feeling I need to get out, reduction of medication, reduction of pain in the lumbar and thoracic areas of my back. Again, no regrets. I learned from it, and I did not state definitively no yet. The surgeon suggested I leave the option open as SCS may be needed in conjunction with other actions to fully address my pain management needs. I'm consulting with the PA-C that has been working with me on the back diseases and pain to discuss other plans of action.

Oh, and the tingling got old pretty quick and the more it got old the less it felt like TENS and more like getting shocked. Which is what it was actually. Walking around where it felt like my left leg was sleeping and tingling was less than comfortable.

Guinea Pig Dave now on coffee break
Dave

Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a first step. My recommended first steps are getting good shoes and 2 cups o coffee

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Sorry it did't work out for you Dave. Hoping something else will come along and work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Walla Walla,

No problem on it, it's a trial to see if it would work, and as doc and I agreed, I still may do it but we'd have to add more actions to address other areas of need too. I had to do it to learn what to really expect. And I have to make a judgement call if I honestly believe it's right, which in my original scope of goals would mean it's not right. I'm still going to work with the PA-C to formulate a best plan of attack. And whether it includes SCS or not, then I'm OK with it. Cool
Dave

Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a first step. My recommended first steps are getting good shoes and 2 cups o coffee

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
Darn it.  Sorry it didn't work out as well as you had hoped, Dave.  Sounds like you're optimistic on other possibilities, which is good.

Here's hoping a viable solution is found (and soon).  Back pain is no picnic.   Oh-jeez
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Boss. It kinda reminds me of CPAP treatment and many other illnesses really. One cookie cutter answer for a given set of symptoms will not work perfectly for every person. I'm still researching suitable answers.
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Update on the back: PA-C scripted a TENS unit, which I've got going now. There's a script for a back brace in the works.

And FWIW I just had a supplemental hearing on my Disability claim. Hearing 1 had an occupational expert to tell which jobs I am supposed to be capable of. At this supplemental hearing, there was no occupational expert.

This implant failure was what the judge was waiting on to decide. It seems like the probability of approval was increased to near definite according to my attorney.

Coffee
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
No doubt you'll get it. But it's too bad they have to make the process so long. Too many people trying to abuse the system. Hurts those who really should have it. Hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
When my wife went through her disability claims, we of course were rejected on the first two attempts and then talked to a lawyer. She was given a form to fill out and none of her doctors knew what it was. Her arthritis doc said, this isn't me, but here is who you need to go see. Got an appointment, he wanted to see both of us and he looked like a mad scientist. He was a professor at the Univ of Arizona. As he talked to my wife, you could see the wheels turning and he dictated to his grad assistant of list of test my wife would need. She did the tests and the letter and 200 page package from him said essentially no company would hire her in this economic period due to all the ADA accommodations she would need. 

We dropped a copy of the report off with her attorney on a Monday and on Wednesday morning we got the call her disability got approved. Her case went before a lawyer's panel which is the way it is run here in AZ. If it had failed, it would have gone to a judge on appeal.

BTW, my wife has severe stenosis and failed laminectomy syndrome which is were the pain benefits of a spinal fusion don't occur. She also has a stimulator.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Thanks for sharing that Homer.

I have thoracic stenosis of a moderate level I suppose. That's on top of the degenerative disk in the lumbar region, which affects the left leg in walking and standing. Overall back pain of 6/10 while on pain meds. The PCP listed me as having a residual function capacity of 20 hour work week, standing at 15 minute intervals, sitting for 30 minute intervals, and legs elevated for 30 minutes mixed in. Then add in COPD where I'm tired out most of the day, the heart is OK but I've recently begun High BP meds. The SSA appeal judge states they have COPD as reported severe already. FWIW hearing 2 (appeal hearing supplemental) was lots easier to handle, as I knew more what would happen.

After pursuit of Disability, dealing with Wrongling Bros. circus with 3 acts of Doc, DME, and Insurance seems easy in comparison.

Coffee
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspire Implant Candidate [Cigna insurance] jcrews9 18 607 05-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: DriverLou
  [News] Doctors use 3-D printer to custom-design implant for baby ApneaNews 7 2,880 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Last Post: DocWils