Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Path to spinal cord stimulant implant begins
Thanks for info and feedback. I'll keep the thread updated as I progress. Back surgery is still something that may be required at some point, mainly because my legs are becoming more affected the more time passes.

The new surgeon and her PA-C said mechanics of the legs being affected by back nerve damage cannot be fixed except via actual surgery. My research had already prepared me on that so no wild expectations on what nerve block or spinal stimulant can help with.

Research helps one know what to expect. I learned the hard way before the SCS trial by not researching fully and came out disappointed by wrong expectations.
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
PS: SuperSleeper, the potential to assist another who may face this, is exactly why I'm posting my experience. This can be an educational, learning tool for others.

Back pain class 101 dismissed for the evening. Coffee
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking based on my wife's experience - the injected nerve blocks don't always work. She has tried it several times and her pain doctor did the block and had her come in the next week. He explained you need several days to allow the anesthetic from the injection to wear off before you can determine if the block really worked or was beneficial. In her case, it didn't work so the burn therapy wouldn't either.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2018, 08:04 AM)Homerec130 Wrote: Speaking based on my wife's experience - the injected nerve blocks don't always work. She has tried it several times and her pain doctor did the block and had her come in the next week. He explained you need several days to allow the anesthetic from the injection to wear off before you can determine if the block really worked or was beneficial. In her case, it didn't work so the burn therapy wouldn't either.

Homer

Thanks for sharing this. That was my impression on researching the procedure; hit or miss on success. Much like my spinal epidural injections were then. Short term relief of a week then it was over. Did that twice, same results both times. Deemed a fail by doctor who performed injections and by myself.

I conversed with regional rep for the SCS made by Boston Scientific. He said when we get to scheduling the implant, he's had success in dealing with the surgeon to bump up his clients on the schedule list, at least a little bit.

IMO SCS will happen sometime in the near future. And it may postpone but not prevent invasive back surgery.
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife got her SNS after two spinal fusion surgeries. First weas L4-L5 and the second L2-S1. The first SNS lasted 9 months when the battery stopped charging. The replacement stayed in for 7 years and then about a year ago she got the new and improved model which doesn't have to be charged. Replacement surgery was less than 20 minutes as he was able to use the same pocket the old one was in.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I have yet to learn which surgery is going to be of help, that is if any actually will. Unless I can be convinced otherwise, the SCS implant to block pain is my immediate goal. I am trying the tests involving the nerve block, but I don't see that as successful, especially if the actual nerve burning surgery needs multiple sessions to semi-permanently be done.

My issues range greatly, and seem like a back injury buffet gone badly rogue. L3-S? 2 maybe is where most of the pain comes from. L4/L5 is where the nerve damage is I think that is causing leg issues. Both legs are affected both in movement and constant slight numbness/tingling, more on the left, even so walking regularly is getting worse. Stairs markedly worse in past 2 months. Stumbling over nothing on a smooth surface. Bending legs at the knee and over 90% can be real fun while I quickly land on floor or whatever was back there. If it's the floor, I'm taking a break for a minute while figuring out how to get off of the said floor. None of this mentions the thoracic stenosis from arthritis.

Hopefully, I didn't overuse the complaining font, as this wasn't meant to be just useless complaints. I am attempting the conveyance of symptoms, but it is what it is. I did BTW learn a little too late that driving tractor trailers can be detrimental to spinal well being. Guess that's why my former PCP ordered me to get out of the truck in 2012.

Coffee Eat-popcorn
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
Small update:

I did a nerve block test on 9/18; went to the follow-up today 9/20. We are proceeding to a 2 part spinal nerve ablation soon. They handle ablations as left or right side first; my left is worse so we go left first. SCS is still a probable action afterwards, as it will address other areas the ablation cannot. Then, after both of those procedures, believe it or not, I may still need invasive surgery to correct the leg malfunctions of greatly reduced stair climbing abilities and the foot dragging symptom that causes stumbling over nothing on a flat surface.

nothing further as I don't have any of that scheduled... Coffee

PS A BTW, the reason I am doing ablation despite saying I would not is that I remembered if I were to refuse treatments a Doctor suggests, it could reflect poorly on my disability case.
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspire Implant Candidate [Cigna insurance] jcrews9 29 2,180 07-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [News] Doctors use 3-D printer to custom-design implant for baby ApneaNews 7 2,959 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Last Post: DocWils