Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Percentages
Percentages
Percentage of the three different apneas by Gender or average of both

1 obstructive
2 Central
3 Mix of the above two
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Percentages
Your question doesn't have a frame of reference. What subject are you referring to?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry no frame of reference but i have a theory that certain apneas are preventable by luibrication
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am not following the question nor do I get what lubrication has to do with it. As in drinking more water? Drinking oil (better lubrication properties)?

The vast majority of apnea cases are obstructive in nature, if I had to guess I would say 90+%.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is information about sex and obstructive apnea:

https://thorax.bmj.com/content/54/4/284

The Mayo Clinic says that central apnea is also more common among men than women but doesn't provide detail or references:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...c-20352109

If you would explain the idea you're thinking about perhaps people could be of more help.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I'll bite.  Just what part of the body do you plan on lubricating to prevent an apnea?  Also, what type of apnea?  Huh
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Research is hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you asking us to guesstimate the relative frequencies of each type?  How about hypopneas...why are they not of interest to you?

I haven't gone looking for statistics for a population, or for a discrete and defined group within a greater population, and don't know where to look.  I don't see why it would be especially important to know that, say from the insurance industry's point of view, or even for the health care industry, since each person constitutes an 'n' and needs customized treatment, regardless of what the treatment treats.

Still, if you'd like me to guess, I'm going to say that between 60-90% of those needing PAP treatment have some of each, even if like me it is a single designated CA per sleep cycle.  Many of us have CAs when we start out, a well-known phenomenon, but as we adapt to the treatment, especially if it is refined over a few weeks, those 'treatment' CAs will often reduce greatly in number of disappear altogether. 

So, that leaves somewhere between 10-40% who have only one of the two main types of apnea.  Of those, I'm at a loss as to how many would have which of the two exclusively, but I would think the bulk of those would have obstructive and hypopnea.  Maybe 3/5.
Post Reply Post Reply
Red,
You and I think alike.

Waiting for an explanation ...
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i was thinking that the vast majority was 90% obstructive

and the Mediiterraeian diiet was best why because of all the oiils used
which todays diiet lack

as observed by dandruff difficulty in defeicating where Magnesium Citrate helps

i take a small glass of milk and put two tablespoons of olive oil in and stir the drink 

the other question is why do people snore 
in my opinion it again is lack of good oil
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Percentages in Stats Columbiabill 3 465 02-02-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.