Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whistling Simplus FF Mask
Whistling Simplus FF Mask
I have one of these masks for a few weeks and just started using it with a ResMed AutoSense 10 last Monday. I also use a chin strap with it, but don't know the manufacturer. The ResMed AutoSense was setup with a 15-18 cm pressure per the Dr's order. Previously I had been using a REMstar Pro M series with a max setting of 16 cm with this mask with no problems.

Here's my question. Occasionally during the night I get a whistling sound from the F&P ffm. At times it takes on the frequency change that sounds similar to today's police sirens, but at a much slower rate. If I rotate the mask part that attaches the hose I can make the sound go away, but am not sure that by itself solves the problem. I have a theory that it is more linked to my maximum pressure of 18 cm. According the SH I reach my maximum pressure randomly for short periods of time.

Otherwise my experience with the ResMed AutoSense 10 is very good.

Anyone have this experience? I am wondering if the mask is defective.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask
I used the F&P Zest nasal mask for a while. My pressure is 20 cm/H2O. I would get the whistling from the vents periodically. In my case, if I wiped the outside of the vent holes with my finger it would stop the whistling at least temporarily.

Someone else on this forum encountered the same type of problem and found that the vent holes had irregular diameters inside the plastic. The diameters looked OK from the outside. The reported problem was probably caused by either worn drill bits or a build-up on the cores in the die that formed the main part of the mask. Either way, it is poor manufacturing practice.

I could not think of any way to stop the problem that I had without changing the venting rate which I was concerned might have ramifications elsewhere in the operation of the CPAP. I currently use a Resmed FFM that never whistles.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whistling Simplus FF Mask
(11-14-2014, 12:00 PM)Azor Wrote: I have one of these masks for a few weeks and just started using it with a ResMed AutoSense 10 last Monday. I also use a chin strap with it, but don't know the manufacturer. The ResMed AutoSense was setup with a 15-18 cm pressure per the Dr's order. Previously I had been using a REMstar Pro M series with a max setting of 16 cm with this mask with no problems.

Here's my question. Occasionally during the night I get a whistling sound from the F&P ffm. At times it takes on the frequency change that sounds similar to today's police sirens, but at a much slower rate. If I rotate the mask part that attaches the hose I can make the sound go away, but am not sure that by itself solves the problem. I have a theory that it is more linked to my maximum pressure of 18 cm. According the SH I reach my maximum pressure randomly for short periods of time.

Hello. I had the same problem with the Simplus but I was reluctant to change masks as I found it very comfortable. I eventually realised the whistling was due to air being forced through a damp expiratory 'plate' and all was sorted by eliminating condensation with a heated hose ( set to a high temperature, e.g. 30 degrees centigrade, if you have a cold bedroom) or by reducing the humidity level. I currently use the airsense climate hose, temp at 30 degC and humidity level of 8. No whistling for months! Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2015, 01:27 PM)Asjb Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 12:00 PM)Azor Wrote: I have one of these masks for a few weeks and just started using it with a ResMed AutoSense 10 last Monday. I also use a chin strap with it, but don't know the manufacturer. The ResMed AutoSense was setup with a 15-18 cm pressure per the Dr's order. Previously I had been using a REMstar Pro M series with a max setting of 16 cm with this mask with no problems.

Hello. I had the same problem with the Simplus but I was reluctant to change masks as I found it very comfortable. I eventually realised the whistling was due to air being forced through a damp expiratory 'plate' and all was sorted by eliminating condensation with a heated hose ( set to a high temperature, e.g. 30 degrees centigrade, if you have a cold bedroom) or by reducing the humidity level. I currently use the airsense climate hose, temp at 30 degC and humidity level of 8. No whistling for months! Hope this helps.

Thank you for all your replies. I will look into the temp humidity settings. This is actually my wife's mask and lately it has not been a high frequency of occurrence problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is the mask itself - I use the F&P Simplus with 20+ IPAP and it doesn't make that sound. Sometimes when I use humidity I get terrible sounds from moisture being stuck in the tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is caused by a manufacturing defect that is not present on all masks. It seems like F&P has this problem more than Resmed or Philips Respironics.

Water stuck in the tubing is an easy fix by rerouting the hose so that is goes upward for at least 2 or 3 feet from the machine without any loops or sags. This way, any water that condenses in the vertical section of the hose will drain back down to the humidifier without causing the gurgling sound.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed 10 whistling Jim Logan 2 391 11-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jim Logan
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 583 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 550 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] How do I get ResMed headgear off of F&P Simplus mask to clean? LordHelmet 3 620 12-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LordHelmet
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.