Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Positive [Cpap results and Eye Health]
Positive [Cpap results and Eye Health]
I was thrilled about the results of my last eye exam.  Following a not so good eye test in late 2016, I had an apnea test at the optometrist's suggestion.  (I thought he was crazy, but who wants to go slowly blind in 10-15 years.)  The sleep test results caused me to start using a CPAP in Feb. 2017.  It seems I was depriving my optic nerve of oxygen, and that is Not a good thing.  The recent test indicated my optic nerve is healthier which definitely makes me happy.  I have also seen a marked improvement in my overall health and energy.  I guess being a "hosehead" and suffering through hot sweaty nights is worth the discomfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positive
Glad you are doing well with your Apnea therapy, and also your eyes.
Thanks for letting others know how untreated sleep apnea can affect overall health and eyes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't aware that SA could effect one's eyesight.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently cutting off oxygen to the optic nerve is damaging and SA cuts off oxygen to any and all parts of our system,
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2019, 01:22 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I wasn't aware that SA could effect one's eyesight.  Dont-know

As the OP states, untreated apnea can have an affect on eyes. But also be aware that even once on Cpap, you eyes can become very dry.
I’ve always had issues with dry eyes, but it has worsened since using Cpap.  I try hard not to let air blow in my eyes, but it seems to happen regardless.  My eye doctor has me coming in every 4 to 5 months to check the pressure in my eyes, as he says that higher pressure in your eyes can affect the optic nerve.  He seems to be aware of this issue.  

Here is an excerpt from an article I found, but link not provided as it leans toward commercial.

Sleep apnea’s effect on the eyes
Excerpted from page 53 of the July/August 2015 edition of AOA Focus.

Sleep apnea, a disorder that involves an involuntary cessation of breathing while someone is asleep, can have serious and life-threatening consequences if left untreated. But sleep apnea and a common treatment option—the use of a continuous position airway pressure (CPAP) machine—can have negative effects on eye health.

"The mainstay of treatment for these symptoms has to be protecting the ocular surface."
More than 18 million Americans have sleep apnea, according to the National Sleep Foundation, and risk factors include obesity, smoking, alcohol use, age (40 and older) and ethnicity (African Americans, Pacific-Islander and Hispanics). Sleep apnea causes fragmented sleep and low blood oxygen levels, which may lead to hypertension, heart disease and mood and memory problems.

Russell Beach, O.D., who practices in Virginia, notes that ocular health issues—including floppy eyelid syndrome and normal-tension glaucoma—may be common in sleep apnea patients. Floppy eyelid syndrome can lead to eyelids that don't provide effective protection for the eyes during sleep, which can cause dryness, severe ocular surface disease and even corneal abrasions. Glaucoma is also often linked to sleep apnea because the disorder affects the amount of oxygen being transported to end organs; when oxygen concentration to the optic nerve is reduced, the nerve becomes susceptible to damage.

CPAP machines—often an effective treatment option for sleep apnea—also can have an effect on a person's eyes.

"While many of these machines have water compartments that aim to avoid the emission of dry air, there is still considerable leakage or emission of air from the vents and sides of these devices. This air can move past the eyes, almost assuredly leading to increased ocular surface dryness and associated symptoms during the daytime," says Dr. Beach.

Depending on the severity of the apnea events, the condition can be life threatening and the CPAP machine greatly reduces those risks, so it should not be discontinued due to ocular irritation.

"The mainstay of treatment for these symptoms has to be protecting the ocular surface. The most efficient way to do this is to instill thicker artificial tears just prior to bedtime. Gels and ointment artificial tears should be considered. Any thinner or less viscous teardrop will not make much difference," says Dr. Beach.

"Depending on the severity of ocular symptoms, daytime treatment also may be indicated and normal dry eye therapies should be instituted at the discretion of the optometrist," he adds.

Dr. Beach is in a unique position to discuss the effects of sleep apnea on eye health, because he has sleep apnea himself.

"I think my experience with sleep apnea has made me especially tuned into patient symptoms of the condition. It's also given me a more personal approach to discussing the condition, the ocular associations with sleep apnea, and the importance of monitoring and treating the underlying condition as well as the ocular manifestations," says Dr. Beach.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 247 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.