Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10, Dreamwear
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 4.6-7.6
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Wink Posterior Vitreous Detachment
This eye condition, normally a by-product of aging, causes a substantial increase in floaters in the eye in which it occurs. I experienced this condition in one of my eyes recently and was wondering whether anyone here has also experienced this condition and, if so, what treatment, if any, have you found helpful to reduce or eliminate these floaters. TIA for your advice.

Coffee
07-02-2016 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

RE: Posterior Vitreous Detachment
I was informed that floaters are a natural process of aging. The brain will block these out in time. It's the same process as a smell disappearing. The odor is still there but the brain has blocked it out. . . Lord, thank you for that one!

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
07-02-2016 11:57 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

If you haven't already, I would get examined by an ophthalmologist.
This could be a benign condition; or it could be the beginning of retinal detachment.
Caught in time, they can tack it back down with a laser.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-02-2016 12:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sonicboom Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Airsense 10 AutoSet

Other Comments:

Indeed. I was at the ophthalmologist within 24 hours. Good news for me, no tear or retinal detachment. However, the episode has left me with a plethora of floaters, dots and specs that I hope will get better over time. I have read some folks resort to laser treatment to get rid of some of the floaters but it's not been adequately peer reviewed and some have residual complications from this type of treatment.

Coffee
07-02-2016 12:44 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

My wive was diagnosed with this a couple of years ago and the plan was (and still is) to watch. The dots and in some cases lines will eventually go away either on their own on as the brain learns to ignore them. Her ophthalmologist did recommend a basic OTC eye drop more for comfort than anything else.

She just had cataract surgery last week and we talked about her vitreous detachment with the doctors and they didn't consider it an issue.

Homer
07-02-2016 12:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

I've had this in both eyes and the floaters eventually went away. I believe there are two processes at work - first the large floaters tend to break down into smaller fragments, some of which dissolve and disappear. Second, your brain compensates for the ones that don't go away. They are still there if you look for them, but normally they just blend into the background.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-02-2016 09:41 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(07-02-2016 12:37 PM)justMongo Wrote:  If you haven't already, I would get examined by an ophthalmologist.
This could be a benign condition; or it could be the beginning of retinal detachment.

If you have floaters that seem to be getting worse, GO IMMEDIATELY to an ophthalmologist (an eye doctor, not a optometrist or optician). As Mongo states, it could be benign, but there is a REAL RISK that it could be a retinal detachment, which is VERY SERIOUS.

My wife had floaters a few years ago and they got a little worse over the course of a few days, so she went to the eye doctor, who scheduled an immediate appointment with an eye surgeon - he confirmed she had a retinal detachment... and he mentioned that if she had waited another day, she might have lost all sight in that eye permanently.

So FLOATERS that progressively get worse over the course of a few days are nothing that you should dismiss as simply "old age". Time is of the essence, since it could be a retinal detachment, and the quicker you get to an eye doctor, the better chance you have of saving the vision in that eye if indeed it is a detached retina.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-02-2016 10:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sonicboom Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses. As I indicated in post #4 I did go to the ophthalmologist and had a dilated eye exam which confirmed nothing requiring immediate medical attention. It is the residual of PVD which is the main problem. The nature, extent, and duration of these residual effects, whether they be floaters, specs, lines, dots, etc... is quite concerning. Right now, they seriously impact my vision. While I share your optimism these will simply go away or get better over time there is plenty of data that this is not always the case. In fact, there is an internet forum of folks who discuss this daily just as we do here on Apnea Board for cpap stuff. For some folks, residua of PVD can be quite bothersome.

The combined general advice from all posters above is absolutely critical in making sure PVD hasn't resulted in a more serious medical issue such as retinal tear or detachment. As soon as one notices something different in the eye(s) get to the ophthalmologist ASAP.

Coffee
07-03-2016 11:08 AM
Jim Bronson Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2

Other Comments:

Let me share my experiences:

Floaters: I've had them all my life. My brain does a pretty good job of tuning them out, but sometimes they settle right in the middle of an eye between the lens and retina, so I have to flick my glance to scoot them out of the way. All in all, they aren't very bothersome. However, a sudden increase in floaters can indicate retinal detachment, and you should be seen by a doctor ASAP. I've long accepted that I'll have to live with the floaters, but in severe cases, there are treatments that carry risks. In addition to the laser treatment, there is a procedure whereby the vitreous is withdrawn and replaced with a saline solution. I read somewhere that most docs won't do that one unless the patient's vision is severely impaired.

PVD: I've had this in both eyes. It started as flashes, especially noticeable in a darkened room. I then started seeing various artifacts, such as bubble-shaped, rice grain shaped, tree branch shaped and other forms. These didn't float around but remained stationary for a day or so and then disappeared until a new bunch cropped up. These symptoms continued for several months before the flashes slowly reduced in size and intensity. I had Weiss Rings (google) in both eyes. These bothered me a lot, but they finally disappeared. They broke up suddenly and dissipated. I had the PVD diagnosed by my ophthalmologist, who told me what to expect except for the Weiss Ring. I found that one myself. I still get a residual flash or two at bedtime, but otherwise the symptoms are gone.

I hope this helps.
07-03-2016 10:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sonicboom Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Thanks JB for sharing your experiences. It was helpful. I believe I saw the Weiss ring almost immediately but I think it broke up into pieces since. It's early on for me - hopefully continued improvement is in the cards.

Coffee
07-04-2016 10:54 AM