Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Preparations
One of the things that my partner and I did before my surgery is we went over stuff about the CPAP and about my medications. I thought I would share here what we did.

- we practiced her doing everything with the machine. not me just telling her, but she actually did it.
  • setting up the machine from the bag
  • putting on the mask
  • settling mask after machine is on
  • knowing how to discuss machine with staff
  • being confident about all of the above
  • putting machine back into bag

(This is where she learned that when I said "now pull the mask away then release to resettle it" does not mean pull it several inches away then release so it smacks me in the face. We had a good laugh, yes, but it hurt!)

- I take a lot of medications 3x a day. I keep a spreadsheet of them mostly so I can print it out and take to doc offices and give out vs writing them all down. It also has a sheet for the medication bag.
  • all my medications are in a cloth bag (except for some PRN meds kept handy)
  • bottle lids have letter(s) to indicate contents (i.e. A for Actos)
  • each pill organizer is a different color (easy to tell at a glance which one I am to grab)
  • sheet gives med name then what is on lid
  • sheet also says how many should be in each day (quality control)
  • made sure all my medications were full enough to last for at least two weeks
  • using this, partner was able to maintain my medications and easily add new ones while I was unable to

What would we have done differently?
  • taught her how to load into SleepyHead. I was able to due to the timing of everything, but I think next time I will leave instructions on how to do it in case I cannot. Or get a machine that doesn't have to be done every seven days.
  • taught her more about how to plug it in. Either we skipped over it or she forgot at first. The S9 has that weird 90 degree angle plug.
  • do a print out of it all, even if she says she doesn't need it. She needed it a few times.
  • may get a big 30 day pill organizer just for times like this. she got really really tired of doing all that. But now she understands why I put it off sometimes and just take it straight from the bottles, even if it means I may miss some.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-08-2016 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

RE: Preperations
Thanks

All very good information!

OpalRose
10-08-2016 05:40 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

We also did other things in preparation but they were just because of that particular surgery. Like bendable straws, pillows, elbow pads, etc.

But we all use CPAP and probably most of us are on medication. But our partners need to know how to use it and how to ensure we take our meds correctly and on time. My parents, bless their hearts, have nothing written down for all of Mom's meds. It is all in Jim's empty head. While we could read the bottles, we'd not know the actual time she took them, only that it was once or twice a day. And none of us have a clue what or if he takes anything. With this, anyone who would need to take care of me would know. I update the spreadsheet with each medication change and print out a new sheet for the bag whenever needed.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-08-2016 07:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

Hmm that is a wake up call. My wife takes a bunch of pills and all I know is they are in the AM/PM tray. I have no idea what goes in each day. I know what she is on because of the bottles lined up in the bathroom. I will have her write down what she takes morning and night in case I need to fill it for her.

Awesome Paula, thanks!

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
10-08-2016 09:00 PM
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

My wife and I carry laminated wallet sized cards with all of the pertinent information about our medications, diseases, allergies, doctors, etc. My cpap info is included on mine. She doesn't know it yet but she is going to learn to pack and set up my cpap machine.

Good info Paula

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
10-09-2016 08:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

For a while, my medications were changing too often to keep on a card or anything so I made the spreadsheet. Now they are too many to remember, especially the dosages, so I just print it out and say "see attached" when a doc form asks for medications. Much easier!

My wallet has the MedicAlert card in it and I wear a MedicAlert bracelet. I have a printout of my medication list in my wallet, too. I make sure the MedicAlert website is up-to-date on the dosages. When I travel, a printout of everything is in my laptop bag. I also keep a printout of my medical history, which includes the CPAP and current pressure setting.

I may seem to be super organized about all this but it is only because I've learned the hard way. I have multiple issues and I can't keep track of it all in my head. Not even to fill my own pill organizer. And I hate reading the dang bottles every week to remind myself. The list helps keep me taking the correct pills at the correct time. I never have to assume I am doing it right. Add in all the different doctors I see for the different conditions and I'm a freakin' mess. Or I would be.

Now, if only the rest of my life were organized, right?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-09-2016 02:36 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(10-09-2016 02:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Now, if only the rest of my life were organized, right?

Where's the fun in that...

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
10-09-2016 05:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Thank you Paula for this post. I also take a 'bunch' of medications at various times of the day. I have a list of my medications printed out and carry in my purse, but I don't have one for my husband to refer to in case I need his help while I am at home. Your suggestions are excellent. I'm also grateful you mentioned "putting off" filling your medicine boxes. I try to do my boxes two weeks at a time as I don't particularly enjoy that job either. But I enjoy even less doing the different bottles of medicines each and every day. I need to be better organized in other areas of my life. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but diabetes is a labor intensive self-management disease.
10-12-2016 12:30 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

RE: Preparations
My GP and I have worked hard to keep my meds to just twice a day since we both know I am never going to remember the middle of the day one. But I have one now that I have to take at dinner and it is driving me nuts. I have an app to remind me of all of them so that is helping but, still, arrggghhh!

It is depressing as heck to look at all those bottles each week and fill out the containers. Including the two vitamins, I take 18 pills a day. I have 9 prescribed medications daily, 2 vitamin/minerals, and 4 PRN meds. To counteract that depression, I've given them all nicknames. My anti-wheezer, my sugar pill. My happy pill (my partner sometimes refers to that one as my "court mandated pill").

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-12-2016 01:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

RE: Preparations
(10-12-2016 01:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  My GP and I have worked hard to keep my meds to just twice a day since we both know I am never going to remember the middle of the day one. But I have one now that I have to take at dinner and it is driving me nuts. I have an app to remind me of all of them so that is helping but, still, arrggghhh!

It is depressing as heck to look at all those bottles each week and fill out the containers. Including the two vitamins, I take 18 pills a day. I have 9 prescribed medications daily, 2 vitamin/minerals, and 4 PRN meds. To counteract that depression, I've given them all nicknames. My anti-wheezer, my sugar pill. My happy pill (my partner sometimes refers to that one as my "court mandated pill").

Your partner has a great sense of humor. Smile
Mostly I look at filling the pill box as just another chore. But it does get depressing when the pharmacy makes a mistake and then tries to tell me that the Doctor's office is responsible. I have 8 prescribed medications and about 6 vitamin/supplements so filling the box is a j-o-b. And then there are also tending to the chores associated with an insulin pump for the diabetes.
10-13-2016 08:42 AM