Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] REMPlenish water bottle
Question 
REMPlenish water bottle
Hello, 
This is my first post, so sorry if not in the appropriate category.  Wondered if anyone had heard of the new product, the REMPlenish water bottle which claims to "exercise" the muscles in the esophagus to possibly reduce snoring and apnea events.  I have nothing to do with the product, just popped up on Facebook (as many things do).  Quite pricey, $54.95, but interesting claims.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: REMPlenish water bottle
I have to admit, I'm not convinced. I don't see any links to papers showing that it helps with OSA (most of it refers to subjective snoring on the site) and that always makes me suspicious about efficacy. The fact that they don't even compare it with something like CPAP (and just other snoring "cures") makes me think that it's probably not that helpful for those with OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks much for the reply.  I suspect as much also.
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a "useability" study that was indeed published as part of the Proceedings of the 2021 Design of Medical Devices Conference (April 12–15, 2021
Minneapolis, MN, USA ISBN: 978-0-7918-8481-2)  https://asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/B...lume/84812

There does not appear to be any clinical evidence that this device works or that any valid medical claims can be exerted based on this "useability" study. Normally medical devices are tested for efficacy (tests in a controlled environment) and effectiveness (tests in a real-world environment). This sample size is too small to draw conclusory statements and self-reporting is based on subjective impressions, not objective standards. There are no real controls for this experiment or allowances for the degree of OSA or comorbidities.

It appears to be, at least to me, a nice advertising piece that lends an aura of "scientific credibility" to the product -- although it looks like a "puff piece" (pun intended).

Quote:The abstract...

There is a clear unmet need to provide alternative, first-line solutions for both obstructive sleep apnea and primary snoring. A novel myofunctional therapy nozzle that delivers therapy through drinking water provides a low risk, low burden, and affordable solution that can easily be administered to primary snorers and obstructive sleep apnea patients to reduce the overall harm from these conditions. A prototype myofunctional therapy nozzle and water bottle were developed and used to conduct a product usability study over the summer of 2020 to assess likeability, one-month adherence, and snoring improvement. 37 participants participated in the study and completed one month of device use. 27 participants were included in the snoring analysis and 35 participants in the tiredness analysis.

The one-month assessment has shown 88% adherence, the overall satisfaction of the product was 80% measured by CSAT, 93% have reported subjective improvements in reducing snoring intensity, occurrence, and/or impact, and 34% of participants reported improvements in tiredness. Bedpartner reported median snoring intensity decreased from somewhat loud to soft or quiet, overall snoring occurrence decreased, and median snoring impact reduced from moderately to a little bit after one month of device use. Preliminary results are promising and warrant further investigation.

Conclusion...

Preliminary data suggests that the novel myofunctional therapy water bottle has promise as an alternative, first-line solution to help with snoring and/or daytime tiredness. Future studies are warranted to better determine effectiveness.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Arrow 
Thanks for the reply!  Glad to have this board as a resource!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 353 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.