Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What filter do you use for your CPAP?
This poll is closed.
Standard Filter from OEM
50.00%
10 50.00%
Hypoallergenic Filter from OEM
30.00%
6 30.00%
Filter from Another Manufacturer
15.00%
3 15.00%
Whatever's Available / Doesn't Matter
5.00%
1 5.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Health] ResMed Hypoallergenic Filter After 1 Month
ResMed Hypoallergenic Filter After 1 Month
I changed out my filter today and was marveling at exactly what my pneumatic block, humidifier water and respiratory tract would have been subjected to had it not been for the ResMed Hypoallergenic Filters. The stock, standard filter that came with my AirSense 10 didn't get nearly as dirty.

Some thoughts and observations:
  • ResMed's specifications for the standard filter state that the material is "Polyester non woven fibre" with an "average arrestance [of] >75% for ~7 micron dust."
  • The hypoallergenic filter material is "Acrylic and polypropylene fibres in a polypropylene carrier" and the "efficiency is >98% for ~7-8 micron dust; >80% for ~0.5 micron dust"
  • I wonder what would happen if I stacked two filters instead of using a single one. Maybe the motor would have to work harder, maybe it wouldn't struggle and have ample headroom if the pressure setting is low enough. But would it affect sensor readings? Anything else?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Hypoallergenic Filter After 1 Month
Problem with reducing filtration size is that the unit's motor has to sustein higher loads and ends up working hot, which is not good for the life of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2021, 05:50 AM)S. Manz Wrote: Problem with reducing filtration size is that the unit's motor has to sustein higher loads and ends up working hot, which is not good for the life of it.

I would think ResMed would have taken these things into consideration in the design of their PAP machines. They already have an AB filter setting. But then again, this is all just speculation.

Nasty looking filter. I think I'd check it more frequently and R&R every week or two if this is the new normal.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
The only time my hypo filter got that dirty was from a local week-long major wildfire nearby. Medicare supplies 6 h/a filters every 3 months, so I now change them every two weeks. I also use the reminder feature on my device to remind me when a change is due.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The PM2.5 AQI for my city is regularly 100+. My device is by my bedside in a regularly-cleaned bedroom with air-conditioning, and doors and windows are rarely opened except to let some "fresh" air in. Not much I can do other than buying an air purifier. ResMed hypoallergenic air filters must be imported and are extraordinarily expensive.

Edit: Just examined some historical data. AQI is regularly 150-200 during nighttime. Startling, but not surprising given where I live. More than myself, I'm now worried about air purifiers for everyone in the house that doesn't use a CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buying an air purifier would be a serious consideration. What you are seeing on that filter is in the air that you breathe normally.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2021, 08:46 AM)OpalRose Wrote: What you are seeing on that filter is in the air that you breathe normally.

I think this needs to be read again.  Thread winner for sure.  These filters present a very clear picture of the real world air quality in that proximity. The additional benefit of the hypo filters are absolutely not to be dismissed. I can't fathom in any scenario outside of a bubble that folks would opt not to use them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with OpalRose.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to buy a HEPA filter where you live, but I just wrote a review on one we recently bought. And I love it. We have had a PM2.5 AQI of up to 270 recently with the local wildfires, and indoors our Levoit 400S would report a 30 AQI when first turned on. And you could smell the smoke. It would drop to 1 to 3 easily in less than an hour. And no more smoke smell.

Core 400S Levoit VeSync Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the review Raybee. Although I'm in the Chicago burbs with normally pretty good AQ, due to allergies, etc, I keep the house pretty zipped up all summer with the AC. Still I have my episodes so have considered one of these things. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I would be very interested to hear back on how long that filter actually lasts. Does it have the ability to detect when the filter should be changed due to air flow restriction, or is it a timed thing?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I change my filter first of every month. Yesterday, I couldn't see anything on it so I dunked it in some water. Dust rose to the surface. It does it's job, but not overly worked.

I opened a new bag of Resmed filters. They seem thinner than the old one.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,027 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.