Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Risking surgery with General Anesthetic
RE: Risking surgery with General Anesthetic
I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea as a result of the pre-examination for a colonoscopy. I wasn't diagnosed until about 2 weeks later. They were aware of my possibly having SA, and had no concerns.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had both knees replaced at different times over 5 years. Was advised to take my machine and used it for the recovery time I spent in the hospital. I don't use the humidifier most of the time at home, but find I need it ln hospital with the air conditioning there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back surgery with a one night stay. Told my doc I had sleep apnea as well as the gas-passer. Told not to bring my machine. They put a remote O2 sensor on my finger and said if it dropped low enough they would put my on O2. I was awake most of the night anyways (cat naps) so it wasn't an issue. They told me the next morning my levels stayed well in the 90s. I had my mask in my bag as they told be only to bring the mask.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Colonoscopy under anesthetic.  I was very concerned about my having sleep apnea and being under.  I was assured the anesthesiologist would be capable of handling the situation.  Had the procedure and all worked out fine.  Didn't even have to bring machine or mask.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
So sorry you have recurring hernia ! I'm aware it's more involved to remove the mesh after once been placed inside you and tissue has grown over ! 

I had hernia surgery before I was diagnosed woke up feeling so rested due to the fact I had a tube down my throat and got some rest ?

My surgery went fine with having apnea and it wasn't diagnosed.  They had to reverse my anesthesia but other than that be good. 

The hospital deals with people with apnea and you will be fine.   The removal of a mesh will be a bigger issue than your sleep apnea.  Which removal of mesh is doable. 

So  I wish you best wishes in your surgery and recovery.  Please respond how things go and are going after your surgery ! Feel free to DM as welll
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a Knee replacement under a combo spinal/General. I made both the surgeon and anesthetist aware that I had severe apnea with mid 90s and 77 AHI without CPAP so I actually used my VAuto BiLevel during surgery. They are prepared to manage you either way. I just made real sure that they were aware that I had a significant apnea without a machine. They just added an O2 Bleed into my system and away we went.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great replies thanks very much to all concerned. Are there any members on here in the uK please with similar past experiences/concerns? Your thoughts would be especially useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been under general anesthesia multiple times. I brought my CPAP with me to the hospital. Don't worry about having issues breathing during surgery. The anesthesiologist will be monitoring your airway very carefully, and if there's any sign of a problem, they won't hesitate to intubate you.

As a rule, your O2 will be saturated before induction to give them some leeway. If there's going to be an issue, it will almost always be at the onset of anesthesia. If your sat level drops quickly due to an obstruction, they can intubate you quite quickly, and they will have your SPO2 back up before you're remotely in any kind of danger. If you do end up intubated, you *might* have a sore throat for a day or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had a cardiac ablation for Afib (PVI) this past week with general anesthesia.   I, too, was concerned about the anesthesia and sleep apnea.    Just make sure your anesthesiologist is very aware that you have sleep apnea, so they can closely monitor your breathing after the anesthesia.   It is not an issue while you are under, since there will be a breathing tube down your throat.   I brought my CPAP per the pre-op instructions, but it was not needed.     Your breathing will be monitored in the recovery room, in any case.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, I have had about 25 surgeries that required general anesthesia. Sometimes they tell you to bring your cpap machine and other times they don't. Not once was it used. The anesthetist know what they are doing and I would not be very concerned. Many times, I was intubated, and I could not use the machine. My breathing was in the doctor’s hand. I am having minor surgery tomorrow and was told to bring it, but I doubt that they will use it. I think it depends on the length of the surgery, what type of anesthesia you are given and whether you will be intubated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 224 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,286 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 283 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,466 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 331 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,174 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  General Issues Lusk 3 385 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.