Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Sleep Quality
RE: Sleep Quality
BC would be my choice.

BC has better treatment for OSA. I would have had an APAP long long ago. I only got an APAP because at the time the S10 Autosense "for her" is registered as a CPAP. I couldn't get a prescription in Ontario for an APAP>I was told here that the S10 "for her" qualified. My new (then) sleep doc wrote my RX for a CPAP at 13. I negotiated with my DME supplier by telling them I would buy a used machine -- an APAP if they wouldn't supply it. So they sold it. Configured as a CPAP

So thumb's down for medical treatment of OSA in Ontario Canada. Thumb's up! for help here setting it up.

Now--if I understand correctly Respironics machines are made so you cannot read the SD card. You must use your sleep doc in Ontario to manage your sleep apnea therapy. Thumb's down for Respironics. Thumb's up! for ResMed machines.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly, he lives in BC!

Guess there's no one size fits all...

I thought Ontario was the hub of polysomnography. Sandman was born there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish they would do research that results in designs that help sleep quality while being used for sleep apnea treatment.

My worst experience buying a mask was with a major drug store chain that sold cpap gear. I literally felt harassed and physically suffered from treatment by the woman who attempted to sell the mask. Yes they are a DME supplier.  I asked if she had ever worn a mask. She said she had not.

Oh my.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Well if you've been around 35 years, then you know what it was like in the early 90's when there was a choice of like one mask...
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that one! It was an F&P nasal mask in my case. I asked for other choices. Nope. And the cpap machine was a Respironics brick with a humidifier....

And mask selection is the most important choice for treatment to work. No wonder so many people quit cpap treatment for OSA.

This whole conversation is about sleep quality.....
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh right, back on topic!

What that guy failed to mention is looking at arousal index, % of sleep stages, awakenings, wake time after sleep, #stage shifts and the histogram. Knowing that you can absolutely have objective measures of sleep quality.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate your posts....(I wasn't trying to bring you back. I had to clip a couple of rants before I posted. )

DaveL
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Rubicon your suggestions are really helpful.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope the suggestions here help someone.

Good luck with your treatment. And may you find solutions that help your sleep quality improve. I think that wellness is the goal.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I have an almost new ResMed S10 *for her* machine. I'm so grateful for everyone that helped me along the path to get that machine. Its about 15 months old now....

I've had mask issues.
ResMed N20 was my choice for a long time. Medium is my choice; machine is set to Nasal Pillows as ResMed suggests, and someone who posts here reminded me. Along the way I had issues and got a cut/scab on end of my nose. So I started looking.

Full Face Masks
I bought an F&P Evora Full hoping that it would be able to solve my claustrophobia issues. I can wear it all night. But leakage is huge; AHI is high.

I bought a ResMed P30i mask; modified it with the Respironics lowered velcro strap that rests lower on my skull. A hint from someone that a lanolin cream would help. If I forget I can't use this mask all night.

I bought a ResMed N30i mask too. This is now my daily favourite.

I use it with a cervical collar; modified--I've wrapped it in front with wonderful 3M tape (lip sealing tape of course) so the collar fits better. That drops the mask where my chin rests

I've tried lip sealing with tape. In fact for a while I was using mask/cervical collar/tape on my lips. One night I sneezed and man that hurt.

Current setup:

* ResMed S10 with humidifier reservoir full, when I remember (burnt smell when I don't)
* Humidifier reservoir is awful; not enough capacity for Ontario Canada weather/humidity
* Settings (help from wonderful people here)
* Comfortline hose (need to learn more about settings)
* Insulator wrap on the hose (prevents hose from dragging when I move in bed)
* N30i mask usually
* No tape in case I sneeze!

Advantages--if I walk to the little room in the house during the night, and take my mask off so I don't scare my dog, the mask is so easy to put on I don't wake up for hours

What's the point of all this?
I'm trying to make it as simple as I can.

If I don't keep it simple this is what happens....
If I use my Knightsbridge Dual Band cap with the F&P Evora Full, I put it on after putting the mask on. Cerical collar on...If I take a washroom break, I end up changing masks--Knightsbridge Dual BAnd cap on first, then ResMed N30i mask on over the cap. Change the settings in the clinician manual from Full Face Mask to Nasal Pillows. ( By the time I do all this I'm so ticked off that I don't sleep for a long long time). I've even just put on the ResMed N30i mask all by itself hooked up to the machine with no other changes. Then I mouth breath.

OSA treatment is more stressful than OSA. I often think about abandoning treatment completely. Then I give myself a talking-to and put a mask on.

I think that mask choice is the most important choice for me. I would love to find a DME mask fitter person who has OSA. I think they would care!

DaveL
Toronto

ps. @Rubicon! Have a 2022 Rubicon JLUR now bought with all the features I wanted! It's amazing! And much better than the 2019 JLU was. Jeep talk....It's a Jeep Thing.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 133 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 785 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 222 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 306 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 910 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,275 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.