Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Still Sleepy
Still Sleepy
Hi There

I am a new member and glad I found a place to reach out to for some advise. I have severe sleep apnea and have been using my auto pap machine since may of this year. I am use to the mask now and can sleep through the night will little or no issues. My question is: Why do I wake up still feeling really tired and find it hard to make it through the day without being tired? Some mornings I wake up with my chest aching as well? My pressure is set at 6-14. I have noticed some changes no more head aches is the biggest. Plus my wife has been happy not having to listen to my snoring.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still Sleepy
Hi trueblue,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to.
It take some time for your body to gett used to this "new" way of sleeping. Something you might try is to wear your mask and use your machine during the evening as you watch tv or read and that will help your body get used to it before you go to sleep.
Just stick with it, it does get better.
Etit: I would also say that if you are having trouble with the mask you are using, don't be shy about asking to try different ones. Some people have had to try MANY different masks 'till they have found the right one that works for them and you might have to do the same thing; just a thought. End Etit:
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2013, 09:27 AM)trueblue Wrote: Hi There

I am a new member and glad I found a place to reach out to for some advise. I have severe sleep apnea and have been using my auto pap machine since may of this year. I am use to the mask now and can sleep through the night will little or no issues. My question is: Why do I wake up still feeling really tired and find it hard to make it through the day without being tired? Some mornings I wake up with my chest aching as well? My pressure is set at 6-14. I have noticed some changes no more head aches is the biggest. Plus my wife has been happy not having to listen to my snoring.

Thanks

I would suggest you download ResScan or Sleepy Head and look at your data. Your pressure may be too low or you are having a lot of leaks or both. OR, it could be something else. Check out your data and let us know what it says and we can help you more. I recently learned to keep my machine off until my mask is on and to turn my machine off before I take off my mask and I have seen a dramatic reduction in leaks!

Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
You may have access to information that will unlock the answers to your questions.
First look at your Resmed machine, near the knob it will say S8 or S9 Autoset or elite or ???. Please update your profile with that info. Then if you have a data capable machine you can download Sleepyhead software for free.
Once you have Sleepyhead on your computer you will need an SD card reader available at Best Buy or Walmart or most computer stores for under $20.
You will now be able to take the SD card from the back of your Resmed machine and put it in your computer. Sleepyhead can report to you what your AHI is when you are having events and with a little help from the folks here you will know more about your sleep apnea than your doctor.
Once you know what is happening you can make adjustments to your Resmed and your sleep hygiene, to hopefully improve your outcome.
I am sure others will jump in with more detailed instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your OSA took time to be found, and it will take time for your body to 'heal' (get into it's best state). Baby-steps, be glad you lost the headaches.

I am simply not a morning person, and rarely do I wake up feeling 'refreshed', most of the time I could easily sleep a few more hours. Yes, perhaps some adjusts may help, or you may simply be someone that wakes up tired.

The other point is some folks simply need more sleep than others. How long are you sleeping? I personally hate it, but I need around 10hrs of sleep daily...I don't often get that, for one reason or another, but that seems to be what works best for me.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
With regards to the chest pain, it is normal for a new CPAP user to experience discomfort in their lungs, similar to the ache you might get with a particularly bad coughing fit. As well, new users frequently report back pain right between the shoulder blades. Both of these are because your lungs and diaphragm are getting used to breathing under the higher pressure, sort of like how your muscles would ache when you first start lifting weights.

If this does not describe what you are feeling, particularly the chest pain, make sure you talk to your doctor about it.

If this is what you are experiencing, it will go away with time. Although the back pain ended up taking about 2 months to subside for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to second the suggestion to download the software and take a look at your data. Have you had a follow up appointment with the sleep doc yet?

It could be as simple as you need more time for you body to heal. Or it could be that your pressure settings are not yet optimal. Or it could be that you are having some serious leaking issues that happen after you and your wife are both asleep that are not waking you up, but are affecting the quality of your therapy. Only the data will tell for sure.

As for the chest pain: I'd definitely mention that to the PCP. If you've been using the machine every night since May, you should be over the newbie back and chest pain aches that RonWessels mentions in his post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi trueblue, Welcome to Apnea Board
You don,t want to ignore chest pain signs, could be nothing but its advisable check with your doctor
Since you,re using S9 Auto ... which model? AutoSet or Escape Auto - model name next to stop/start button

Hi robysue, welcome to Apnea Board
Glad you joined us, congrats on your blog "adventure in hosehead land" ... very good read Great-info

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2013, 02:23 PM)robysue Wrote: As for the chest pain: I'd definitely mention that to the PCP. If you've been using the machine every night since May, you should be over the newbie back and chest pain aches that RonWessels mentions in his post.

Whoops, I missed the "every night since May" in the original post. Unless you have recently increased your treatment pressure, robysue is right that this is something that should be discussed with a doctor sooner rather than later.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the great advise and the warm welcome to the forum, it is nice to hear that I am not the only one with these symptoms.
I have updated my profile with my machine is ResMed S9, mask F&P Simplus. I will download the sleepyhead software then retrieve the data from the sd card. I will share the info and look for some more advice.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  Still Sleepy? HotdogFriendo 4 373 01-15-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHI, compliant but still sleepy jamwin 2 342 11-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jamwin
  Low AHI, Comfortable w/ APAP but Still Sleepy SJGD7 3 1,100 10-10-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Still sleepy during the day - low tidal, high resp.? mildOA 3 496 09-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross Forever sleepy - help! mjw423 7 824 05-14-2023, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  [CPAP] Too Sleepy's Therapy Thread Too Sleepy 23 2,209 02-24-2023, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.