Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SLEEP
THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SLEEP
Interesting podcast (with transcript)

Quote:Why Do We Die Without Sleep?

Why do we need sleep? In the search for answers, scientists have uncovered more thought-provoking mysteries central to what sleep is, how it evolved, and the benefits that it provides.

The reasons why sleep is so vital often hide in unexpected parts of the body, as host Steven Strogatz discovers in conversations with researchers Dragana Rogulja and Alex Keene.

Listen to the podcast Read the transcript
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SLEEP
Good post.

Is good sleep possible with OSA treatment?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I started reading the transcript as I was sitting in bed last night.    That proved to be a bad idea for me.  I haven't finished it yet, but find it very interesting and thought-provoking.  I plan on finishing it today.  

Thanks for posting it!   -    Thanks
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@DaveL

Your question about the possibility of achieving quality sleep with OSA appears to be unanswerable as I can find no universally agreed definition of sleep quality or how it can be measured without degrading the sleep experience with wired sensors for an EEG, EKG, and blood gasses. Most scaled sleep quality measures appear to be self-reported, multi-factor rating scales.

Here is an interesting journal entry from December 2021...
Quote:REM Sleep: An Unknown Indicator of Sleep Quality

ABSTRACT

Standard polysomnographic analysis of sleep has not provided evidence of an objective measure of sleep quality; however, factors such as sleep duration and sleep efficiency are those more consistently associated with the subjective perception of sleep quality. Sleep reduction as currently occurs in our 24/7 society has had a profound impact on sleep quality; the habitual sleep period should fit within what is a limited nighttime window and may not be sufficient to satisfy the whole sleep process; moreover, the use of artificial light during the evening and early night hours can delay and disturb the circadian rhythms, especially affecting REM sleep. The correct phase relationship of the sleep period with the circadian pacemaker is an important factor to guarantee adequate restorative sleep duration and sleep continuity, thus providing the necessary background for a good night’s sleep. Due to the fact that REM sleep is controlled by the circadian clock, it can provide a window-like mechanism that defines the termination of the sleep period when there is still the necessity to complete the sleep process (not only wake-related homeostasis) and to meet the circadian end of sleep timing. An adequate amount of REM sleep appears necessary to guarantee sleep continuity, while periodically activating the brain and preparing it for the return to consciousness.

Full Paper (PDF)
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much.

My post came from desperation.  My sleep study is absolutely terrible.  People reviewing my file here have been so patient.

I've been compliant for 35+ years.

Under doctor's care.  My last sleep doc was the only one who mentioned sleep quality. He said he would write a prescription for 13.  After a sleep study. He said that 11 would be sufficient.  However, I would have more deep sleep with an Rx of 13. That was end of August about 1-1/2 years ago.

Here's a thread I started...

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ep+quality

I've started similar threads for hearing aids....and other issues.

First 5 years I used a Breeze nasal pillows mask.  That's right One Mask.  And a brick. The brick lasted 8-1/2 years and I was prescribed another brick.  that's a machine that only tells hours of use. No sd card. No way I can manager my care.

After I used the 2nd brick for 2 years or so I bought a used S9 E for $200. I had learned here that I needed to take control of my treatment.

Thanks for your post You are on the right path. We need to control our treatment to improve wellness.

edit:

I have had about 5 exercise bands/smart watches that I use to monitor actual sleep times, and attempt to make sense of my sleep quality.  Thanks for the post...I like this conclusion...

One aspect that clearly emerges from the available literature is that sleep reduction as
currently occurs in our 24/7 society has a profound impact on sleep quality, and artificial light at night (LAN) has extended the average length of the day and delayed the secretion of melatonin; thus, the habitual sleep period has to fit within what is a limited nighttime window and may not be sufficient to satisfy the whole sleep process, especially sacrificing the last part of the sleep period, which contains the larger quota of REM sleep.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
@DaveL

One thing I learned many years ago from one of my mentors when I was considering becoming a cardiologist is that "you treat the patient, not the damn machine." This after suggesting a course of treatment based on my interpretation of an EKG tracing. Of course, I was dead wrong and the pretend patient would have died. What I was looking at was PEA (Pulseless Electrical Activity) where there is no pulse (blood flow) in the presence of sufficient electrical discharge. Hence, you treat the patient first!

The same thing applies to the treatment of sleep apnea -- you keep trying incremental experiments and logging your results. Using notes to keep track of external and environmental factors. 

I have tried everything, including blue-blocker glasses, white noise, temperature, and humidity controls, various masks, a plethora of settings, and with the exception of random events like a pulled muscle, stuffy nose, or having to evacuate the canyon for a wildfire, I am generally pleased with a sub-1 AHI and feeling fairly decent.  

Keep trying and keep the faith. 

BTW: My mentor announced to the world that I would make a lousy cardiologist because I did not know when to give up and was likely to screw up the day's OR schedule by treating an indigent patient who lacked a support system if he survived. Needless to say, physics and computers were a better fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great respect for you! Truly.
You're the second doctor that I know to talk about sleep quality.

I would like anyone who prescribes for OSA, or who supplies machines and masks and such to wear a mask working for 8 hours. Let's see what they develop then!

Thank you.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.