Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Trazadone
Has anyone heard of doctors prescribing Trazadone, off label, as a sleep aid? Anyone have any personal experience with it?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-18-2015 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: Trazadone
I have not used any sleep aids, unless a dram of whisky considered as sleep aid

My favorite sleep aid does not need doctor prescription
A nice cup of tea with a wee dram of the good stuff

[Image: Tea-Pot.jpg]
07-18-2015 11:32 PM
PositiveMe123 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6/10 - ps=3
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I take 50mg Trazodone to help with sleep. I feel good and I don't have any side effects that I'm aware of. It's not addictive and is safer than most sleep meds. I can skip two or three nights in a row without a problem. It's calming and helps me relax. I realize that's just my experience and may be different for others.
07-19-2015 01:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

As an off label drug, Trazodone has the same dangers as when used on-label - it interacts negatively with MAO inhibitors, and NSAIds, including aspirin (even at low-dose levels for cardiac maintenance), and booze, of course. It can cause suicidal tendencies in early use, should not be used if you ave any of the following: liver or kidney disease, heart disease, a bleeding or blood clotting disorder, seizures or epilepsy, narrow-angle glaucoma, bipolar disorder (manic depression), a history of Long QT syndrome, a history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts, or if you have recently had a heart attack and most definitely avoid when pregnant. It can cause painful extended tumescence (priapism) in men, altered sense of taste, dry mouth, fever, muscle rigidity, sweating, confusion, dizziness, increased heart rate and dehydration.
You have been now informed of some of the dangers. Choosing to take it off label and without supervision is on you.
07-19-2015 04:00 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(07-19-2015 04:00 AM)DocWils Wrote:  As an off label drug, Trazodone has the same dangers as when used on-label - it interacts negatively with MAO inhibitors, and NSAIds, including aspirin (even at low-dose levels for cardiac maintenance), and booze, of course. It can cause suicidal tendencies in early use, should not be used if you ave any of the following: liver or kidney disease, heart disease, a bleeding or blood clotting disorder, seizures or epilepsy, narrow-angle glaucoma, bipolar disorder (manic depression), a history of Long QT syndrome, a history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts, or if you have recently had a heart attack and most definitely avoid when pregnant. It can cause painful extended tumescence (priapism) in men, altered sense of taste, dry mouth, fever, muscle rigidity, sweating, confusion, dizziness, increased heart rate and dehydration.
You have been now informed of some of the dangers. Choosing to take it off label and without supervision is on you.

I meant by Rx from a doctor; and by off-label, that the doctor is prescribing with intent that it is being used as a sleep aid.

I was not aware of interaction with low dose aspirin.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-19-2015 05:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Starrbelie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Fisher&Paykel Icon+ Premo
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: F&P Icon+ integrated
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments: Using ResMed AirFit F10 while recovering from Septoplasty & Turbinate reduction

I have several patients taking it as needed for sleep with excellent results. As always, discuss side effects, etc with your doctor...
07-19-2015 11:27 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

I took Trazadone in the 1980s as a sleep aid because I had severe depression. As part of the depression I experienced great difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep. My Doctor prescribed it for me and he said it would help with both depression & sleep problem. I'm not sure how much it helped with the depression but within 20 minutes of taking it at bedtime - I could barely stay awake. I no longer take Trazadone, however I do take a low dose of Alprazolam and my sleep doctor would like me to eventually cease taking even a low dose. We are working on withdrawing it, but it is slow going. Sad
07-20-2015 05:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(07-20-2015 05:30 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  ...I no longer take Trazadone, however I do take a low dose of Alprazolam and my sleep doctor would like me to eventually cease taking even a low dose. We are working on withdrawing it, but it is slow going. Sad

That can be very difficult to do. It can take several years to upregulate the GABA receptors.

It is my personally held belief that older people who have been on benzodiazapines for extended periods should not be forced to withdraw.

07-20-2015 05:46 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(07-20-2015 05:46 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 05:30 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  ...I no longer take Trazadone, however I do take a low dose of Alprazolam and my sleep doctor would like me to eventually cease taking even a low dose. We are working on withdrawing it, but it is slow going. Sad

That can be very difficult to do. It can take several years to upregulate the GABA receptors.

It is my personally held belief that older people who have been on benzodiazapines for extended periods should not be forced to withdraw.

I don't know that I am being forced to withdraw, but I do know that the reason a doctor prescribed them for me no longer exists. In 2005 my Mother was terminally ill and I was her caregiver. Doctor understood the anxiety I was having and prescribed the alprazolam for sleeping at night only. Here it is 2015 and I'm still taking it, have tried to quit cold turkey but my present PCP says it is much better to withdraw gradually whenever possible.

If I had know back in 2005 that I would become addicted I would have said "No, thank you." But I didn't know and did not have a computer where I could try to educate myself about this drug. I deeply regret that I am so dependent on this drug.
07-20-2015 06:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(07-20-2015 06:50 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  I don't know that I am being forced to withdraw, but I do know that the reason a doctor prescribed them for me no longer exists. In 2005 my Mother was terminally ill and I was her caregiver. Doctor understood the anxiety I was having and prescribed the alprazolam for sleeping at night only. Here it is 2015 and I'm still taking it, have tried to quit cold turkey but my present PCP says it is much better to withdraw gradually whenever possible.

If I had know back in 2005 that I would become addicted I would have said "No, thank you." But I didn't know and did not have a computer where I could try to educate myself about this drug. I deeply regret that I am so dependent on this drug.

Ten years is certainly long term. Since the half-life is so short, I think that if you are able to go about 24 hours between doses that you can successfully withdraw. But, it does have to be done slowly. Rapid withdrawal can result in seizure.

Alprazolam is such a potent benzodiazapine that pill cutting may be required. Lowest dose tablet is 0.25 mg and it's scored. I have heard that a 10% withdrawal every two weeks is the fastest taper that should be done. Still, I think you will experience some difficulty getting to sleep some nights.

People who are not familiar with alprazolam hear that a tablet is 1 mg and they think it's a low dose.

The dang doctors put people on these drugs then it's usually another doctor that has to get them off of it.

My best wishes in this endeavor.

07-20-2015 07:32 PM