JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV Bilevel
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus aka Facedigger
Humidifier: HumidAir™ with climate line
CPAP Pressure: Min EPAP 5 Max IPAP 13 PS 1-2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New, ASV Barbie, now with morning fart action.

Sex: Female

RE: Trazadone
I've been on a low dose of Clonazepam for going on 8 months now. I was going through extreme stress, and had just started menopause. I had not slept in days, and I ended up in the hospital on an EKG machine, with a high heart rate. I BEGGED the doctors to put me into the sleep lab, because I had a strong feeling I had Apnea, but they refused, and they treated me like a hypochondriac. It turns out I was correct. Luckily, a sleep doctor in another city took me in as soon as she could, for a two night study, and now I have my ASV machine.

I was not informed that I would develop a dependence on this drug, and now I have been through one failed taper. I managed to get down to .32mg in three weeks time, and now I am back on .75 a day. My anxiety was so intense before I went on this drug, that I could not even sit still for a half an hour; I was pacing the house. I was so f*cked up. I'm scared to make another attempt to go off of this benzo, but the thing is, I could go back on it if I absolutely had to. There is that option, even though it would kind of suck. I still wake up somewhat anxious even through this medication, but I suspect that where I'm currently residing has something to do with it. I'm not happy in this house, and I don't have enough money to move out. I am at the mercy of my family right now.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 10:54 PM by JVinNE.)
07-20-2015 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

JV: Clonazepam is another potent benzodiazapine. Roughly a 1 to 1 equivalence to Alprazolam. Clonazepam has a long half-life such that multiple dosing per day builds up a higher plasma level of the active drug. Again, 0.75 mg does not sound like much; but it is a potent benzo. It requires the same very slow taper: 10% cut per 2 weeks. Again, it is hard to taper such a potent benzo. Some people can taper; but can never make the final cut to zero.

Outside the US, doctors often switch to an equivalent dose of a less potent benzo like diazapam, then taper that. In my personal opinion, benzos have a deeper "hook" than some hard narcotics like heroin.

Still these drugs have their place. Anxiety is a real bear. Always follow your doctor's advice. However, when one's living situation is in flux, that's not the time to try to to withdraw.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-21-2015 01:48 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(07-21-2015 01:48 AM)justMongo Wrote:  JV: Clonazepam is another potent benzodiazapine. Roughly a 1 to 1 equivalence to Alprazolam. Clonazepam has a long half-life such that multiple dosing per day builds up a higher plasma level of the active drug. Again, 0.75 mg does not sound like much; but it is a potent benzo. It requires the same very slow taper: 10% cut per 2 weeks. Again, it is hard to taper such a potent benzo. Some people can taper; but can never make the final cut to zero.

Outside the US, doctors often switch to an equivalent dose of a less potent benzo like diazapam, then taper that. In my personal opinion, benzos have a deeper "hook" than some hard narcotics like heroin.

Still these drugs have their place. Anxiety is a real bear. Always follow your doctor's advice. However, when one's living situation is in flux, that's not the time to try to to withdraw.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

I agree with your suggestion that one has to be careful when you pick the time to try to withdraw. I am facing what the GYNE calls 'minor surgery' next month. However I am so anxious about it that I can't sleep, my stomach constantly feels like I have a rock sitting in the bottom and when I do fall asleep I have nightmares. My cpap numbers are shot to heck and I will be so glad when this Summer is over. You're right Mongo, anxiety is a real bear!!
07-21-2015 07:30 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

If your doc says minor, she means it. Relax. Part of our assessment of what constitutes minor and major is the extent of the attack (sorry, I forget the English word, for Angriff) on the body, the danger and the recovery rate. Minor really means minor. No surgery is taken lightly, but in terms of impact on you and safety, you should not have any fear. However, it is advisable to tail back on any meds as much as you can before your surgery, following your doctor's guidance. She should be able to best advise you about how to do so and what meds should be reduced prior to the operation and for how long before. This has mostly to do with the interaction with the anaesthetics. Either way, please relax, and don't worry too much over it.
07-21-2015 09:07 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

DocWils: I use Angriff for Attack -- but then, I am researching WWII allied air losses in Europe.
Attack works in a surgical context. Perhaps "assault" would better fit the context in English.
We all got your intended meaning.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-21-2015 11:09 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Just remembered - intervention or procedure.......
07-21-2015 11:41 AM
PositiveMe123 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6/10 - ps=3
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Anxiety is a real bear! Are any of us actually free from it? I understand the ways to help yourself; meditation, exercise, etc., but for me that only works for so long. It's a constant battle to be free of anxiety.

JV - DocWils has very good suggestions. God luck to you!
07-21-2015 02:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Starrbelie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Fisher&Paykel Icon+ Premo
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: F&P Icon+ integrated
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments: Using ResMed AirFit F10 while recovering from Septoplasty & Turbinate reduction

DocWils, haven't you heard the saying "minor surgery is surgery that happens to someone else"?
07-22-2015 12:38 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(07-21-2015 09:07 AM)DocWils Wrote:  If your doc says minor, she means it. Relax. Part of our assessment of what constitutes minor and major is the extent of the attack (sorry, I forget the English word, for Angriff) on the body, the danger and the recovery rate. Minor really means minor. No surgery is taken lightly, but in terms of impact on you and safety, you should not have any fear. However, it is advisable to tail back on any meds as much as you can before your surgery, following your doctor's guidance. She should be able to best advise you about how to do so and what meds should be reduced prior to the operation and for how long before. This has mostly to do with the interaction with the anaesthetics. Either way, please relax, and don't worry too much over it.

I realize what you are advising is true, however it is much easier to say than to do the 'relaxing' part. I worry about the diabetes even though I am well controlled. I also have fear of the anesthesia which doesn't seem to bother anyone but me. I like to remember my late father's advise which was "this too shall pass."
07-22-2015 01:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Like a kidney stone.

I understand, GB, but really, try not to let this take over your life just now. The diabetes is probably the least of your worries - go over the meds list with your doc, and even better, with the gas-passer well before your op, and that is really all you need be worried about - let the recovery nurse know about your cpap needs before going in for the op and everything should be fine. The most important thing for you is to meet and talk with the gas-passer and get your needs on that scale sorted. The rest is a doddle after that.
07-22-2015 05:36 PM