Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Trazadone
Quote:I realize what you are advising is true, however it is much easier to say than to do the 'relaxing' part. I worry about the diabetes even though I am well controlled. I also have fear of the anesthesia which doesn't seem to bother anyone but me. I like to remember my late father's advise which was "this too shall pass."

Oh, before my Septoplasty, I was scared to death about being under anesthesia. What helped me was to meet personally with an anesthesia resident two days before my surgery to go over my concerns. She listened very carefully and passed on all the necessary information to the one who handled my surgery. After the meeting, I felt so much better and as an FYI, had a very speedy recovery.

Would meeting with an anesthesiologist before your surgery be helpful and if so, can this be done in your situation?

Lot of luck with everything.

49er
07-23-2015 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

(07-23-2015 07:34 AM)49er Wrote:  
Quote:I realize what you are advising is true, however it is much easier to say than to do the 'relaxing' part. I worry about the diabetes even though I am well controlled. I also have fear of the anesthesia which doesn't seem to bother anyone but me. I like to remember my late father's advise which was "this too shall pass."

Oh, before my Septoplasty, I was scared to death about being under anesthesia. What helped me was to meet personally with an anesthesia resident two days before my surgery to go over my concerns. She listened very carefully and passed on all the necessary information to the one who handled my surgery. After the meeting, I felt so much better and as an FYI, had a very speedy recovery.

Would meeting with an anesthesiologist before your surgery be helpful and if so, can this be done in your situation?

Lot of luck with everything.

49er

I'm glad to know your surgery went well and you had a speedy recovery.

My husband went with me and I did meet with someone from the 'anesthesia' group - although not the one who will handle my situation I was told. It seems in the hospital I will be going to that the anesthesiologist meets with his patient only minutes before they wheel you into the operating room. I observed this to be true when my husband had an emergency appendectomy on May 15th of this year, 2015. The meeting I had with the "gas-passer" (as DocWils calls them in his country) seemed 'hurried' as they were busy that afternoon and I can only hope he passed on the information to the one who will be with me.

It has been many years since I had surgery before and I hope things have changed for the better and their processes have improved. I must add that the anesthesiologist I met with did see that I have a prescription of an anti-nausea patch to be applied the morning of my surgery (which I didn't know they even had). Nausea has long been a problem for me when I am stressed or even going for a car ride.

Have to put my faith in someone and the anesthesiologist I met seemed congenial and concerned. Thanks for your response.
07-23-2015 07:55 AM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
The anesthesiology resident that I met with prior to my surgery explained that the reason I would be unable to meet with the anesthesiologist assigned to my case was that they don't get their assignments until the night prior to the surgery. Anyway, because I had the same concerns as you did about the information getting passed on, the resident agreed to start a chart for me and write up the issues that we discussed. It was clear in talking to the anesthesiologist prior to my surgery that she had done this very well.

Sorry, you had to deal with someone who was hurried. It sounds like I really lucked out in getting to meet with a resident who could take the necessary time vs. a regular anesthesiologist who was in a hurry.

Anyway, as a relative reminded me prior to my surgery, most surgeries go very well even it is human nature to focus on the worst outcomes. You'll be fine.
07-23-2015 08:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Ok, it's time for me to join this conversation. GrammaBear, I am also facing a "minor surgery"
in two weeks, so I can relate to your concerns. My doctor told me I can't meet with the anesthesiologist until right before surgery.

My doctor keeps telling me they use LMAC for sedation. As much as I try to find out what they mean, I never get a straight answer which adds to my anxiety. Huh

Three years ago, I had gall bladder surgery. The surgery went well, but it was the recovery that was a problem. They were unable to bring me awake in recovery. It took a long time to wake up!
Since that experience, I'm scared to death of being put out; I don't care how "minor" a surgery is!
I didn't know that I had Sleep Apnea at that time!

I have tried (without success) to talk to my doctor to see if I should bring my CPAP during recovery, but no one seems to think it necessary. Since i can't talk to the anesthesiologist until right before surgery, my concerns are not being addressed.

My question to anyone out there and especially Doc Wills is this:
What is LMAC? Is this the same as what they call twilight sleep?
If so, is recovery time short? Do I bring my CPAP? I'm afraid of not waking up.

GrammaBear, Hopefully I will get answers that will help you too!
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 08:43 AM by OpalRose.)
07-23-2015 08:41 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Maybe I'll post a new thread and see if I get responses.

OpalRose
07-23-2015 10:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(07-23-2015 08:41 AM)OpalRose Wrote:  Ok, it's time for me to join this conversation. GrammaBear, I am also facing a "minor surgery"
in two weeks, so I can relate to your concerns. My doctor told me I can't meet with the anesthesiologist until right before surgery.

My doctor keeps telling me they use LMAC for sedation. As much as I try to find out what they mean, I never get a straight answer which adds to my anxiety. Huh

Three years ago, I had gall bladder surgery. The surgery went well, but it was the recovery that was a problem. They were unable to bring me awake in recovery. It took a long time to wake up!
Since that experience, I'm scared to death of being put out; I don't care how "minor" a surgery is!
I didn't know that I had Sleep Apnea at that time!

I have tried (without success) to talk to my doctor to see if I should bring my CPAP during recovery, but no one seems to think it necessary. Since i can't talk to the anesthesiologist until right before surgery, my concerns are not being addressed.

My question to anyone out there and especially Doc Wills is this:
What is LMAC? Is this the same as what they call twilight sleep?
If so, is recovery time short? Do I bring my CPAP? I'm afraid of not waking up.

GrammaBear, Hopefully I will get answers that will help you too!

You're right - it seems hard to find information on LMAC. I did find this website which has pretty good info.

http://www.cvmc.org/our-services/anesthesiology/types-anesthesia

Have you considered calling the hospital where you will be having your surgery and asking to speak with someone from the surgical department?

I understand your anxiety and sometimes it is really hard to get a hold of yourself. This will be my first surgery since being diagnosed with not only sleep apnea but diabetes as well.
07-23-2015 10:55 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors