Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Understanding Sleepyhead Graphs.
Understanding Sleepyhead Graphs.
Ok, so I've got Sleepyhead installed and it brings up the graphs all nice and pretty, but I have no idea what I'm looking at, nor what it can do to help. I'm going to try to post the graphs here for help in understanding what I'm looking at...So, plan on a lot of stupid questions when this gets going...

What most concerns me is the snore line. My wife has a terrible time with my snoring - even having to leave the bedroom every night to sleep (or try to sleep) on the couch. I'm hoping that along with the Apnea, the snoring will also abate enough to allow her a good night's sleep.

[Image: 6139480-T1200800.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding Sleepyhead Graphs.
Here is a link to understanding SleepyHead.

Beginners Guide to SleepyHead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't able to see image, but if you follow these tutorials below, then we can better advise.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marvinator,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you still snore despite the CPAP perhaps you could use a chinstrap to keep your mouth shut. If you breathe through your mouth you're not getting the most from the CPAP, as pressure escapes this way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2016, 11:16 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Here is a link to understanding SleepyHead.

Beginners Guide to SleepyHead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

The page is geared to Phillips respronics users. Mine is a Resmed Airsense 10. But I did learn a lot of terms. LOL

(12-16-2016, 10:25 PM)Russatrice Wrote: If you still snore despite the CPAP perhaps you could use a chinstrap to keep your mouth shut. If you breathe through your mouth you're not getting the most from the CPAP, as pressure escapes this way.
Yes, thanks. I do use a chin strap, just got it this last week and am still working to get it adjusted right.

===========================
I am very very new at this, and though I've got the machine, I'm concerned that it actually does help. Every time I ask a question some where (Other forums, areas of interest) I am directed to yeet another page where it either has nothing to do with my machine or it's so full of unexplained terminology that I my eyes glaze over.

I'm not stupid, but I do need input here. I guess my biggest question comes when I read this data. It shows a number (or a graph) and my response is "Ok, is that good or bad?" I mean, how do i tell if a number is a good reading (I guess LOW would be good) or something I need to address? Dont-knowHuh And what about teh graph? What do I do with that?

Example, Sleepyhead data below shows that My AHI is 2.72.... is that good or bad? (I suppose it's good, as it's below 5, but I can't seem to find information - or rather information I can use. My Doctor originally said my apnea was 'moderate' but never said what my numbers actually were. A website says moderate is ≥ 15, but < 30 per hour which would tend to say there is VAST improvement. If it's good, does that mean I ignore all the other data? Then there's the graph that shows snore - is this something I need to address?
The "Large Leak" is 20%... is that good or bad? Should I worry about it?

Overall, I'm slowly beginning to see improvement where there was only anger and resentment. 2 months to see improvement? Seems off... but Saturday night, I slept a full 10 hours. (yes, you read that right, where I normally get only about 6 - 6.5, I slept pretty well for 10 full hours. Wowza!) What this all comes down to is seeing quantitative results and getting a handle on things.I feel like I"m rambling, so I'll shut up now.

Better post of graph:
[Image: 15DEC16_zpspmlkbq5k.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
We do have a wiki linked to at the top of each page which does it's best to explain these things. An AHI <=5 is what is considered "treated" by the medical profession, but you will find there's more to it than that. Many doctors only worry about the <=5 bit, which is easy for them to point at and say "you are doing great".

The best way to understand the graphs, IMO, is just to look at them every day and see how they vary and how the variations seem to affect your well being. After awhile you'll begin to see patterns. Leak rates are important and if your leaks are too high then all the other results are suspicious - your machine can't report properly if your leaks are too high.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2016, 02:35 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Leak rates are important and if your leaks are too high then all the other results are suspicious - your machine can't report properly if your leaks are too high.

And again, what is "too high" ?? What level of "leak' is acceptable?
..at what level do I need to take action?
Post Reply Post Reply
The beginners guide to SleepyHead (see link above that Crimson Nape gave you)
is not geared to just Phillips machines. Don't know where you got that idea.

Yes, there is alot of information and alot to learn, but you have to start somewhere.

If you clicked on the link, you would see a table of contents. Find what you want to learn about and start comparing to your graphs.
Here is the section on leaks:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Head#Leaks

And yes, you leak rate is a bit too high. For ResMed machines, anything above
24 L/min is high and your machine may not be able to handle or flag apnea events correctly. 95% of the time you were at 38 L/min., so it's important to get the leaks under control, whether it be from mouth breathing or an ill fitting mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The link in my signature to robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead would be a good read.

With regard to leaks, your machine flags anything larger than 24 litres/minute as a large leak. They are not only compromising therapy, but are disruptive to your sleep. You have a leak problem, and may need to consider a full face mask if it doesn't resolve. I suspect you are mouth breathing and opening your mouth at night a lot. That would explain noise and snorng, as well as dry mouth and a generally unrested feeling.

The good news is, you appear to be using too much pressure. Your minimum is set at 12, and you are recording very few obstructive events or flow limitations. Notice how flat the pressure graph is. You don't need that much. I'm going to suggest you reduce the minimum pressure to 9.0 and see if it feels better and helps with the leaks. As far as "numbers" go, your AHI is 2.72 in the provided example, but the potential obstructive component is less than 1.0. So your obstructive sleep apnea is well treated. What we want to do is avoid over-treating or pressurizing so we can maybe reduce some of the other disruptions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,578 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Treatment] What Do My Graphs Mean? | OSCAR TiredTim 27 1,486 02-12-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 431 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 248 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
Idea New CPAP Oscar Help Graphs triquetralark482 0 191 02-07-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: triquetralark482

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.