Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] WEIGHT LOSS AND SURGERY ON ADENOIDS
Question 
WEIGHT LOSS AND SURGERY ON ADENOIDS
Hello all!!
I have been a CPAP user for over 10 years now. I have gained over 100 pounds since 2001, but recently had weight loss surgery in November and have lost 75 lbs (so I will continue to keep losing for some time)

And tomorrow I am having surgery to have my adenoids removed because of recurrent sinus infections.

So here's my question(s)

1. When and if do I need to go in and have my pressure changed? Since the weight loss it seems as if the pressure is too strong because I'm breathing out of my mouth!! I haven't done that in a long time! Not sure what to do about that.

2. Although my ENT doesn't believe this will help, does anyone else have any stories about adenoids and sleep apnea? (I have to also add that I've been a snorer for many many years, even when I was at a very healthy weight.)

3. Last but not least, is it possible the weight loss and adenoid removal might not do a thing for my sleep apnea and I will have it the rest of my life? Dont-know

Any comments or suggestions would be great!
Thanks much!
Joan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WEIGHT LOSS AND SURGERY ON ADENOIDS
Welcome
First, if I may ask, what type weight loss surgery did you have?
Roux-n-Y, Sleeve, banding... ?

Sometime after your upcoming surgery, I would ask for a new sleep study.
Your pressure requirements may have changed.

As for mouth breathing, what kind of mask are you using; and please fill out your profile info so members may see what your using at this time.

Yes, it's possible you will need PAP the rest of your life. There are plenty of people whose BMI has never been above normal; and they require PAP.

Best Wishes on your Surgery tomorrow; be sure to use your PAP machine as directed by your physician's during your recovery.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi joanieb69,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Joanie, it is quite possible your pressure needs could change, and I suspect you are using an outdated CPAP machine that does not provide you with therapy data. Why not just ask your doctor for a new prescription for auto-titrating CPAP. An auto CPAP is set to a range of pressures so it can provide the minimum required pressure, yet respond to your changing needs to increase pressure in response to snores, flow limitations, breathing volume reduction and patterned breathing. It also provides valuable feedback in the form of data that lets you optimize your therapy.

A sleep test could easily cost several thousand dollars. You're probably due for a new machine anyway; why not get one that will change along with you?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 58 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 155 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 276 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,227 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.