Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] When did you start feeling the benefits?
Gross 
RE: When did you start feeling the benefits?
I felt better on my first sleep study even though I was only on for half the night and wound up having centrals on the machine. The next study I did was an even better improvement. Unfortunately when I got home and started using my machine I couldn't stay asleep all night with the high pressure (up to 24 cm) to treat the centrals. My nights consisted of around four hours of sleep which was broken up into five minute stretches. I am now happily using my machine after much trial and error but I feel so much better. The bottom line is it took me around 9 months to figure things out. I am thankful there were forums such as this one out there to help me out. I did a lot of research during those long 9 months.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 01:54 PM)Hilbert Wrote: I felt better on my first sleep study even though I was only on for half the night and wound up having centrals on the machine. The next study I did was an even better improvement. Unfortunately when I got home and started using my machine I couldn't stay asleep all night with the high pressure (up to 24 cm) to treat the centrals. My nights consisted of around four hours of sleep which was broken up into five minute stretches. I am now happily using my machine after much trial and error but I feel so much better. The bottom line is it took me around 9 months to figure things out. I am thankful there were forums such as this one out there to help me out. I did a lot of research during those long 9 months.

Sleep-well

What settings did you end up with that led to success?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 01:54 PM)Hilbert Wrote: I felt better on my first sleep study even though I was only on for half the night and wound up having centrals on the machine. The next study I did was an even better improvement. Unfortunately when I got home and started using my machine I couldn't stay asleep all night with the high pressure (up to 24 cm) to treat the centrals. My nights consisted of around four hours of sleep which was broken up into five minute stretches. I am now happily using my machine after much trial and error but I feel so much better. The bottom line is it took me around 9 months to figure things out. I am thankful there were forums such as this one out there to help me out. I did a lot of research during those long 9 months.

Sleep-well
Hi Hilbert,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that through your trial and error, you have continued your CPAP therapy.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 10:09 AM)jgonzalez Wrote: Hello everyone, I am new at this, but I am so glad I decided to pursue the sleep study. I saw marked improvement yesterday, following 6.5 hrs. of uninterrupted restful sleep (night 2). Last night wasn't as restful, after I bumped-up humidity from 2 to 3, but I feel fine this morning. I am thinking that I should stick with 2. Any thoughts? Thanks
Hi jgonzalez,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are noticing the benefits of CPAP therapy.
As far as where you should set your humidity, wherever it is comfortable and works best for YOU. If you prefer it at 2, that's where you should set it.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've decided I need to write down such minute changes, the date, and how I slept and felt. The experimental results blur too quickly in my mind. Plus, if you are using any of the software to look at your data, a log of changes helps correlate the effects too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still waiting after using my machine for almost a month now. The last couple of nights though I have felt better, but had AHI numbers of 35 and then 12 last night. One thing that has been consistent is my AHI has been very inconsistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first two nights with CPAP were heavenly, as oxygen poured in after months of deprivation. (Apparently, that's the normal 'honeymoon' period, I was told.)

After that, it was a struggle for about 6-8 months (for me) to get an AHI below 10-12. Sleep was 'survivable' but still not 'acceptable'. I wanted to give up every night and hated the ridiculous 'extra effort' that my life seem to take on as a result of xPAP.

All of a sudden, after those 6-8 months, I thought I'd check Sleepyhead because everything seemed to feel a little better. My AHI dropped to about 3-4, and consistently stayed in that range, which was a huge victory for me.

I'm still so jealous of those who get AHI numbers near zero!

In summary, if you're new at xPAP, and constantly thinking "is this the best it's going to get?", after those first 1-2 glory days, with a little tinkering (slowly and methodologically) and time, you'll probably leap ahead too. In the mean-time, make the ApneaBoard your best friend because the people here have been through pretty much everything. Pay special attention to the comments of those ApneaBoard masters. My chin hits the ground every time they speak as their comments come with spectacular levels of credibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started. Took about a week for the headaches to go away. I no longer needed two naps a day after the very first night. I still don't feel refreshed here on week two but I'm only getting about 6 hours of sleep and still wake at least once. I have trouble with restless legs and the sleep tech confirmed that is what woke me once. I think starting with nose pillows was the right way for me to go.

Interestingly, my teeth pain has reduced significantly. That was the hope of my dentist, who also uses a Cpap . Even though I don't grind my teeth at night, he thought periodic clenching could be the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a custom made "applicance" jobby (from the dentist) on both the top and the bottom teeth, just for clenching. Not grinding. So yes, that's quite possible. In my case, I have TMJ jaw pain from the clenching. Interesting that your teeth hurt! Hope it continues to help. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
after two failed trials on CPAP, now using ASV for the last three weeks.
Immediate benefits: no snoring, no gagging/chocking, no restless legs, no bathroom breaks. AHI varies from 0.0 - 3.0
Still very sleepy during the day, had to stop driving, energy low but slowly improving, no major energy crashes like before ASV. Looking at sleep quality affected by ASV pressure support, working on staying in the game and finding the way to health.

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 412 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 137 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 314 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 381 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 348 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 841 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,421 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.