Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] White Matter on brain
White Matter on brain
I understand Sleep Apnea causes build up of White Matter on brain. It effects memory and logical thinking. Is it reversible? Any information on White Matter and SA will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: White Matter on brain
google white matter on the brain. You'll get a ton of information.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
This one may be relevant to your reading
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25142557
After 3 months of CPAP, only limited changes of WM were found. However, over the course of 12 months CPAP treatment, an almost complete reversal of WM abnormalities in all the affected regions was observed in patients who were compliant with treatment. Significant improvements involving memory, attention, and executive-functioning paralleled WM changes after treatment.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2018, 04:03 AM)ajack Wrote: ...However, over the course of 12 months CPAP treatment, an almost complete reversal of WM abnormalities in all the affected regions was observed in patients who were compliant with treatment.

I cannot fully express my gratitude in your having found and posted this information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope that works our for me, because I've been feeling as though I have ADD for the last few years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with SA in 2013. I know i suffered from memory loss and ability to solve logical problems. I have been using Resmed S9 since 2013. I am an engineer, I was able to write algorithms very well. That ability never returned. Otherwise, I can function much better. I blamed it on White Matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you have an MRI that showed White Matter?
Post Reply Post Reply
No MRI was done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah. Well, in that case, you might also want to look at some other things. I can only tell you from my own personal experience - this is not medical advice, please consult a physician.

I experienced cognitive difficulties after an overexposure to some chemicals. I think the diagnosis was chemical sensitivities or something like that (it's been awhile). Apparently, or so I've been told, this is not uncommon with people that are in new housing or newly remodeled housing. Mine was from new mattresses (several deliveries were involved, each with damage - the last one resulted in the box springs remaining in our home while we waiting for the top mattress; it arrived fresh from the factory and the delivery guys tore the handle setting it up. We had to file a complaint and wait for it to be picked up. The fumes during this entire situation caused burning in my chest, tears from my eyes, just from quickly walking through the room that the mattress was in - even with the windows open). It took a number of years of treatments and staying away from certain exposures for me to recover. I still am careful about what chemicals are brought into our house, which paints are used, what furnishings are allowed in before undergoing an airing out process, etc.

All of that to say, I was told that some people with mental decline or who think they may have the beginnings of dementia, may actually be suffering from chemical sensitivities.
Post Reply Post Reply
The term I was looking for is "Environmental Illness."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 1 86 Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 183 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 192 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 681 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,384 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 4 395 01-27-2024, 04:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Cool Brain Fog & Other neurological complications - 1 yr of treatment rgrindle 0 362 12-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: rgrindle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.