Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] distilled water / ahi/events per hr
distilled water / ahi/events per hr
Hi everyone. I'm new here (been on cpap for just over a week) and have a couple of questions. I've been pouring my unused water back into the jug each morning to be reused. Could that end up being a problem? Also, whats the difference between ahi and events per hour? Dont-know Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: distilled water question
(11-14-2014, 04:30 PM)OffroadToy Wrote: Hi everyone. I'm new here (been on cpap for just over a week) and have a couple of questions. I've been pouring my unused water back into the jug each morning to be reused. Could that end up being a problem? Also, whats the difference between ahi and events per hour? Dont-know Thanks in advance.
there are different opinion regarding this subject
imo, dump the water after each use

as for water, my water comes straight from the tap
manufacturer recommends to use distilled water

AHI and events per hour mean the same thing
Post Reply Post Reply
Putting use distilled water back in the jug contaminates any distilled water in the jug. Once exposed to the air and heat, it is no longer free of contaminants.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 04:30 PM)OffroadToy Wrote: I've been pouring my unused water back into the jug each morning to be reused.

That's a bad idea. It would be better if you just left the water in the machine's tank. Better still, discard the water daily, rinse the tank, and let it dry.

Quote:Also, whats the difference between ahi and events per hour?

AHI is the average number of events per hour, an event being either an apnea or a hypopnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 05:37 PM)DocWils Wrote: Putting use distilled water back in the jug contaminates any distilled water in the jug. Once exposed to the air and heat, it is no longer free of contaminants.

(11-14-2014, 06:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 04:30 PM)OffroadToy Wrote: I've been pouring my unused water back into the jug each morning to be reused.

That's a bad idea. It would be better if you just left the water in the machine's tank. Better still, discard the water daily, rinse the tank, and let it dry.

AHI is the average number of events per hour, an event being either an apnea or a hypopnea.

Thanks... i'll discard the unused water from now on.
Last nights numbers were:
events per hour- 7.0
ahi- 2.7
Does that mean i had a total of 7.0 events per hour and 2.7 of them per hour were related to apnea/hypopnea? If so, what might also constitute an "event" during the night to these machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the A10 count RDI? That would be the remaining numbers.

For the alphabet soup, check here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 06:57 PM)OffroadToy Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 05:37 PM)DocWils Wrote: Putting use distilled water back in the jug contaminates any distilled water in the jug. Once exposed to the air and heat, it is no longer free of contaminants.

(11-14-2014, 06:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

Thanks... i'll discard the unused water from now on.
Last nights numbers were:
events per hour- 7.0
ahi- 2.7
Does that mean i had a total of 7.0 events per hour and 2.7 of them per hour were related to apnea/hypopnea? If so, what might also constitute an "event" during the night to these machines?
Check if 7 is the usage hours
On my A10, events per hour (right below usage hours) is the same number as AHI number, further down of the sleep report

AHI include apnea (obstructive, central, unknown) and hypopnea
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 07:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Does the A10 count RDI?
Edit: You mean RERAs, A10 AutoSet 4Her report RERAs

OP list "Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset" and "CPAP Software: Not using software"

Post Reply Post Reply
I would never pour the leftover water back into the original container or a large container of distilled water.

With distilled water, many of us simply top up the water chamber and only dump it and clean the tank once a week or so. I DO recommend dumping it every morning if you use tap water. As the water evaporates, whatever contaminants, especially minerals are in the water are left behind and it gets more contaminated as time goes on.

If I were rinsing the tank daily, and distilled water was expensive enough here to matter, I might pour the leftover water into another container and pour it back into the tank after cleaning the tank. Around here, it's cheap enough that I wouldn't bother "reusing" it. Distilled water is more expensive in many places outside the US.

Do dump out the remaining water at least every week or so or the contaminants will get concentrated.

Use some degree of care with distilled water, but it's not sterile even in the bottle with most easily available sources, unless it's made for medical use. Then, once you open the bottle, it's not sterile. It gets less sterile when you pour it into your tank. It gets MUCH less sterile once you start the blower and room air and dust starts blowing past it in large quantities. You won't have and don't need the kind of low germ levels you need for an operating room or injected medicine. You don't even need the level of germ control you have for food.

However, keep it clean as you can. If you ever get it nasty somehow, such as handling the tank with dirty hands. letting someone else handle it, etc., dump it and rinse.

In theory, germs can't get out of the water tank into your lungs because only water vapor comes out and germs will be left behind. I don't believe this 100%, so keep it reasonably clean anyway.

Even though I'm in the "top it off for a week" club, I realize it does make sense to just dump the remaining water when I take the tank out to fill it, especially if the water level is fairly low.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 07:08 PM)zonk Wrote: Check if 7 is the usage hours
On my A10, events per hour (right below usage hours) is the same number as AHI number, further down of the sleep report

AHI include apnea (obstructive, central, unknown) and hypopnea

No... 7 wasn't usage hours.
On mine the events per hour and AHI numbers are never the same. Some of last nights numbers were:
Usage hrs-10.19 (i slept in) Sleep-on-pillow
Events per hr-7.0
AHI-2.7
Total AL-1.4
Central AL-0.3
Leak Rate-8L/Min

Anyone else here getting different numbers for AHI and events per hour on their AirSense 10 AutoSet? I would think since they have both show on the screen they shouldn't/wouldn't be the same. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 349 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 266 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.