Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Health risks lowered after cpap? Sinus issues from cpap?
RE: Health risks lowered after cpap? Sinus issues from cpap?
(12-21-2014, 10:40 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: Until you meet with your Sleep Dr. within the first 90 days and the Dr. reports your compliance you have not completed the compliance issue with your insurance co. As far as your success that is really great congratulations keep it up. No I do not believe cpap can cause a cold/sinus infection.

Medicare does that, but I think most private insurance doesn't require the formal doctor followup to document compliance. Some seem to get it directly from the DME or cell modem.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2014, 09:15 PM)BlueHorseshoe Wrote: Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the group and find a wealth of knowledge in this forum. Thanks to all of you. This is my first post. I was diagnosed with severe OSA with a take home test and then formal sleep study of 78 AHI per hour and prescribed CPAP therapy, fixed setting of 11. I have just completed my first month (it was an experience), achieved compliance, and not yet had a follow-up with my sleep apnea doctor. Using sleepyhead software, I can see my progress, and it seems I am seeing my AHI numbers settling in to the goal of <5 but never less than 2. Seems that is good, yes? I was amazed when I started learning how many negative health risks and impacts are the result of untreated sleep apnea and how many undiagnosed cases there are today. I wish more people were aware and would get tested/treated.

On to my post question: Given a quick google search on so many negative health risks of sleep apnea ( such as heart, stroke, high blood pressure, even cancer ), if I stay 'treated' on CPAP therapy ( and maintain under 5 AHI/hr ) will those elevated risks then go back down at some point in time to the same levels as those folks who have no sleep apnea? Or can I only reduce but always stay more risky for some/all?

I also developed a cold/sinus infection after 10days using CPAP. Can using a CPAP machine as recommended and cleaning as required actually 'cause' me to develop a sinus infection? How about sinus headache? I hope not. Any thoughts please share.

Thank you for responding.
Dan

BlueHorseShoe: The goal of < 5/hr is a minimal goal that medical establishment has created. People on this board (I call them the 1%ers since they are the 1% of people on xPAP who proactively monitor their therapy), go further than that. A lot of people here have AHI in < 1 range so if tuning your equipment and machine variables gets you a better AHI then go for it.

There are a lot of studies on pubmed on CPAP and its effect on multiple things (serum markers, disease risk, mortality risk etc.). You should educate yourself.

I started my APAP 3 months ago. I did have a sinus infection with drippy nose about 3 weeks into it. I did not give up on APAP during that time and also started sinus rinses using a Neti pot. It has enabled me to breathe better ever since. Its unlikely that your sinus headache is due to any pathogens introduced by PAP therapy but during the initial phase, your nasal mucosa is adjusting to a new airstream (different humidity, temp and airspeed) than normal breathing. This will cause a few adjustments and sinus headache may manifest itself due to those adjustments.

One more thing: Do you still love Anacott Steel Smile
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2014, 03:42 PM)AshSF Wrote:
(12-21-2014, 09:15 PM)BlueHorseshoe Wrote: Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the group and find a wealth of knowledge in this forum. Thanks to all of you. This is my first post. I was diagnosed with severe OSA with a take home test and then formal sleep study of 78 AHI per hour and prescribed CPAP therapy, fixed setting of 11. I have just completed my first month (it was an experience), achieved compliance, and not yet had a follow-up with my sleep apnea doctor. Using sleepyhead software, I can see my progress, and it seems I am seeing my AHI numbers settling in to the goal of <5 but never less than 2. Seems that is good, yes? I was amazed when I started learning how many negative health risks and impacts are the result of untreated sleep apnea and how many undiagnosed cases there are today. I wish more people were aware and would get tested/treated.

On to my post question: Given a quick google search on so many negative health risks of sleep apnea ( such as heart, stroke, high blood pressure, even cancer ), if I stay 'treated' on CPAP therapy ( and maintain under 5 AHI/hr ) will those elevated risks then go back down at some point in time to the same levels as those folks who have no sleep apnea? Or can I only reduce but always stay more risky for some/all?

I also developed a cold/sinus infection after 10days using CPAP. Can using a CPAP machine as recommended and cleaning as required actually 'cause' me to develop a sinus infection? How about sinus headache? I hope not. Any thoughts please share.

Thank you for responding.
Dan

BlueHorseShoe: The goal of < 5/hr is a minimal goal that medical establishment has created. People on this board (I call them the 1%ers since they are the 1% of people on xPAP who proactively monitor their therapy), go further than that. A lot of people here have AHI in < 1 range so if tuning your equipment and machine variables gets you a better AHI then go for it.

There are a lot of studies on pubmed on CPAP and its effect on multiple things (serum markers, disease risk, mortality risk etc.). You should educate yourself.

I started my APAP 3 months ago. I did have a sinus infection with drippy nose about 3 weeks into it. I did not give up on APAP during that time and also started sinus rinses using a Neti pot. It has enabled me to breathe better ever since. Its unlikely that your sinus headache is due to any pathogens introduced by PAP therapy but during the initial phase, your nasal mucosa is adjusting to a new airstream (different humidity, temp and airspeed) than normal breathing. This will cause a few adjustments and sinus headache may manifest itself due to those adjustments.

One more thing: Do you still love Anacott Steel Smile

Cool haha...yes, and Bluestar of course. Thanks for your insights; I didn't know about pubmed and will be sure to read more. The adventure is only beginning for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new to CPAP machines... 6 months....

In regard to your post:
"You probably just caught a cold and the CPAP therapy is a coincidence. Many people report that the CPAP machine helps keep their sinuses cleared out when they have a cold."

I have now had 3 sinus infections over the past 4-5 months, two of which required Z-Pack antibiotics.
I am now on the 4th sinus infection.
I was instructed by the med supply to soak the hoses daily, 3-4 hours minimum in (50-50) vinegar & water solution, then hang them up to dry, and they should be dry by bedtime. The ResMed instructions claim the hoses don't need cleaning

First, I can't leave work to go home and hang hoses up to dry, and I can't begin to tell you how bad it is breathing in vinegar 'vapors'.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2015, 01:11 PM)RLSBeaumont Wrote: I was instructed by the med supply to soak the hoses daily, 3-4 hours minimum in (50-50) vinegar & water solution, then hang them up to dry, and they should be dry by bedtime.

That's overkill! I wash mine with warm soapy water about once every week or so. I prefer to use a hose brush. Anti-bacterial liquid hand soap with no additives for softening hands.

Many people report using Control III as a disinfectant.

Quote:The ResMed instructions claim the hoses don't need cleaning

That's true of a new hose. They are clean and packaged to stay clean. Once you start using them, though, they are exposed to warm moist air and then left during the day with no ventilation. Keeping them clean is important.

I have a hard time believing your sinus infections are due to the hose or anything associated with your CPAP machine or mask.

I've had three sinus surgeries and can now go two or three years without as much as a cold. But then I can have a year where I get three or four. I had a bad one in December, and then again in February. Also got a flu shot in October. First one in my life!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 29 519 5 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 42 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 6 147 Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 512 Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 225 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 169 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.