Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Health risks lowered after cpap? Sinus issues from cpap?
Health risks lowered after cpap? Sinus issues from cpap?
Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the group and find a wealth of knowledge in this forum. Thanks to all of you. This is my first post. I was diagnosed with severe OSA with a take home test and then formal sleep study of 78 AHI per hour and prescribed CPAP therapy, fixed setting of 11. I have just completed my first month (it was an experience), achieved compliance, and not yet had a follow-up with my sleep apnea doctor. Using sleepyhead software, I can see my progress, and it seems I am seeing my AHI numbers settling in to the goal of <5 but never less than 2. Seems that is good, yes? I was amazed when I started learning how many negative health risks and impacts are the result of untreated sleep apnea and how many undiagnosed cases there are today. I wish more people were aware and would get tested/treated.

On to my post question: Given a quick google search on so many negative health risks of sleep apnea ( such as heart, stroke, high blood pressure, even cancer ), if I stay 'treated' on CPAP therapy ( and maintain under 5 AHI/hr ) will those elevated risks then go back down at some point in time to the same levels as those folks who have no sleep apnea? Or can I only reduce but always stay more risky for some/all?

I also developed a cold/sinus infection after 10days using CPAP. Can using a CPAP machine as recommended and cleaning as required actually 'cause' me to develop a sinus infection? How about sinus headache? I hope not. Any thoughts please share.

Thank you for responding.
Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Health risks lowered after cpap? Sinus issues from cpap?
(12-21-2014, 09:15 PM)BlueHorseshoe Wrote: Given a quick google search on so many negative health risks of sleep apnea ( such as heart, stroke, high blood pressure, even cancer ), if I stay 'treated' on CPAP therapy ( and maintain under 5 AHI/hr ) will those elevated risks then go back down at some point in time to the same levels as those folks who have no sleep apnea? Or can I only reduce but always stay more risky for some/all?

The risk of a heart attack or stroke is reduced by the CPAP therapy itself. However, if there has been damage caused by untreated sleep apnea that would keep your risk elevated some, but it's still lower than if you weren't being treated.

Quote:I also developed a cold/sinus infection after 10days using CPAP. Can using a CPAP machine as recommended and cleaning as required actually 'cause' me to develop a sinus infection? How about sinus headache? I hope not. Any thoughts please share.

You probably just caught a cold and the CPAP therapy is a coincidence. Many people report that the CPAP machine helps keep their sinuses cleared out when they have a cold.

I haven't noticed any change in the frequency of colds due to CPAP therapy.
[/quote]
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dont know about all the damage but being on Cpap stopped my Afib when surgery didnt. And the thickening in my Left Ventricle wall is slowly repairing itself and going back to normal due to lower BP and no Ventricular Afterload that is present with SA.

Not sure what Ventricular Afterload is but according to my Cardiologist its bad LOL. Not having now good lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Until you meet with your Sleep Dr. within the first 90 days and the Dr. reports your compliance you have not completed the compliance issue with your insurance co. As far as your success that is really great congratulations keep it up. No I do not believe cpap can cause a cold/sinus infection.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BlueHorseshoe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear how well you have taken to CPAP therapy.
You could try the sinus rences, such as, Neomed, (or I'm sure there are other brands,) before bedtime. and see if they help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not even had a cold in the 4-5 years that I have been on CPAP.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a lot of sinus issues for the first month - at 6 weeks they seem to be tapering off. I don't believe that cpap will cause a cold, since that is a virus, and a reasonably clean unit will also not cause bacterial or fungal infection; but I do think that sensitive sinuses can be irritated by cpap. This is helped by proper humidifier settings with a heated humidifier, but not 100% alleviated. Good news is that you will almost certainly get used to it.

I also found an article where a frustrated doc with a patient who reported sinus irritation due to cpap put the scope in to take a looky, and the patient exclaimed that the scope felt exactly like the irritation he was complaining about. That gentleman's issue turned out to be neural and related to migraine. (and not infection at all)
Post Reply Post Reply
Consensus seems to be that apnea is a bit like smoking. Once you do CPAP and "quit apnea," your risks fade over time. There doesn't seem to be a lot of good statistical studies, though. It's sort of hard to study because you can't just choose people and make them do or not do CPAP.

As for CPAP giving you sinus infection, realize that only you use your CPAP machine. Any germs on the machine either come from you or from the air you're breathing anyway. It's not like a piece of medical equipment in a clinic that gets used by others.

Keep it clean anyway. If you ever get particularly concerned, you can get Control III disinfectant from various internet suppliers, and clean everything but the blower unit itself.

CPAP can dry you out or irritate your nasal passages, so some people might get more susceptible to infections. I find it clears out my sinuses, and I would expect the general health improvement to make you less likely to get infections.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2014, 10:40 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: Until you meet with your Sleep Dr. within the first 90 days and the Dr. reports your compliance you have not completed the compliance issue with your insurance co. As far as your success that is really great congratulations keep it up. No I do not believe cpap can cause a cold/sinus infection.

Thanks for the info about compliance. I received an email from my DME who said I achieved 'adherence' and was confusing that with compliance. Thanks for the positive words of encouragement.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2014, 10:22 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Dont know about all the damage but being on Cpap stopped my Afib when surgery didnt. And the thickening in my Left Ventricle wall is slowly repairing itself and going back to normal due to lower BP and no Ventricular Afterload that is present with SA.

Not sure what Ventricular Afterload is but according to my Cardiologist its bad LOL. Not having now good lol.

Wow, I am glad to hear the CPAP helped you in that way. Thank you and all who respond here to my questions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 53 2 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 115 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.