Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Healthcare provider can't read SD card
RE: Healthcare provider can't read SD card
(08-30-2020, 11:52 PM)NotADr Wrote: Third year in a row and my doc has been unable to read my cards. 

Yeah and, like many here, I've yet to have anyone look at anything beyond the AHI and hours. Really, all they want to do is to certify compliance to insurance. No one cares if the therapy is actually working.

The thing that bugs me about them not being able to read the card is why? You stick it in the computer and click, click, click, and that's all there is to it. Really, how stupid do you have to be not to be able to do that? And if you're that stupid, what are you doing in the health care field? Seriously. OK, time for the old man to shut up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would using a Mac to first read the files create problems at the doctor's office if they are using PCs? I bought new SIM cards for both machines and plugged them into my CPAP machines before I ever plugged them into my Mac for use with Oscar. I'm haven't learned much about computer programming since the days of messing with punch cards and Fortran, and don't have a clue if plugging the SIM cards into a Mac would somehow create a format containing those files that wouldn't be compatible with PCs.
Post Reply Post Reply
NotaDr

Putting a formatted SD card in a Mac will have no affect on it. Further to that putting an incorrectly or non formatted SD card in a CPAP machine and it will be formatted to the correct readable format
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2020, 12:38 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Putting a formatted SD card in a Mac will have no affect on it. Further to that putting an incorrectly or non formatted SD card in a CPAP machine and it will be formatted to the correct readable format

I have a new theory about what they're doing wrong. Most of their patients these days are on Dreamstations, all of which come with modems. Downloading from a modem is what they may be most accustomed to. What if they have a Dreamstation in the back room, complete with modem, and they put my card into it in order to download the data from their machine's modem. Of course, the back room Dreamstation will see that the card is not its own and will format it, wiping out all my data. The e-mail I got from them said that my data 'could not be downloaded.'

The dumb part is that, a couple of years ago I was in their office with my SD card, and they used a USB adapter on a wire to access the data. Maybe they forgot about the adapter. 

The only way I'm going to get to the bottom of this is to make an appointment and bring my card with me, then insist on their letting me watch them as they attempt to get the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Darn this AB software - if you hit a tab it wipes out everything you typed and puts you at the home page. Grr. OK, now I'll have to re-type everything.

They returned my card, and I received it today. There was a Postit note saying 'Cannot download your card. Please mail copy of your report from own software.' Just for kicks I put the SD card in my computer and looked at it. There is a new folder, containing one file that I cannot open (wrong encoding), plus another extra file:

P-Series [was originally all caps]
System Volume Information [new folder]
     IndexerVolumeGuid [a file with 'wrong encoding,' can't open it]
crc [new file, contains just 'AAAAA']
LAST.TXT [unchanged]

Originally it had just:

P-SERIES [a folder]
LAST.TXT [a text file]

This smells like the work of Windows. Maybe Windows alters the data as soon as it mounts the card, and in the process makes it unreadable? 

I wonder what would happen if they moved the slider down to make it read-only before they put it in their computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding AB editor. You can lose posts easily. I use Textarea Cache add-on, and it saves everything as it is typed, including images. You can even navigate to other pages, then recover what you drafted. I wipe the cache daily, but it has save me a lot of aggravation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2020, 05:14 PM)JJJ Wrote: Darn this AB software - if you hit a tab it wipes out everything you typed and puts you at the home page. Grr. OK, now I'll have to re-type everything.

They returned my card, and I received it today. There was a Postit note saying 'Cannot download your card. Please mail copy of your report from own software.' Just for kicks I put the SD card in my computer and looked at it. There is a new folder, containing one file that I cannot open (wrong encoding), plus another extra file:

P-Series [was originally all caps]
System Volume Information [new folder]
     IndexerVolumeGuid [a file with 'wrong encoding,' can't open it]
crc [new file, contains just 'AAAAA']
LAST.TXT [unchanged]

Originally it had just:

P-SERIES [a folder]
LAST.TXT [a text file]

This smells like the work of Windows. Maybe Windows alters the data as soon as it mounts the card, and in the process makes it unreadable? 

I wonder what would happen if they moved the slider down to make it read-only before they put it in their computer.

The correct layout for a PRS1 card is:

P-Series/ (case-insensitive; older versions were mixed-case, DreamStation is all caps)
    [serialnumber]/
    last.txt (containing the serial number)

So if you had multiple machines, both serial numbers would be present in this directory, and last.txt would point to the most recent machine.

The P-Series directory will sometimes also include an encore.txt file containing a GUID, presumably to tie your card to your record in their system.

And sometimes it includes "C0" or "Clear0" etc. directories that contain older sessions from a "cleared" machine. (Inside they'll have a properties.txt or PROP.TXT that contains the original serial number, just like the normal directories do.)

The System Volume Information you're seeing gets added by Windows if you insert it without write-protecting it. It can be ignored.

I haven't seen the top-level "crc" before.

What's in your P-Series/ folder?
Post Reply Post Reply
sawinglogz wrote:

Quote:What's in your P-Series/ folder?

Thanks for your detailed explanation of the file structure on the SD cards.

I have two cards with the Respironics logo on them. One was from an ancient PRS1 that was retired five or six years ago, and the other came with my Dreamstation BIPAP. 

The one from the BIPAP is what I use to look at my data in OSCAR, and it never leaves the house. It has just one folder, P-SERIES, containing a subfolder with the numeric portion of the Dreamstation's serial number, which has folders D, E, P0, P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, and text files LOG.SEQ and PROP.TXT. I can't open LOG.SEQ (wrong encoding), but PROP.TXT is just a text file with 26 lines relating to the Dreamstation, e.g., the second line contains the full serial number, and so on. In the root there is also a text file, LAST.TXT, containing just the numeric portion of the Dreamstation's serial number.

The other card (from the ancient PRS1) is the one that I sent to the healthcare provider. Before doing so I started by using GParted to delete everything, including all partitions. Then I put the completely blank card in the Dreamstation and let the machine format it and copy my data to it. And then I took both cards to my computer and used diff to verify that they were identical, down to the last byte. And then I mailed the old card to the healthcare provider. I can assure you that neither card has any serial numbers on it except the serial number from the Dreamstation.

I already listed above the contents when I got it back, except that I didn't mention that the contents of the P-Series folder was a subfolder named for the numerical portion of the serial number, containing the same folders as above. In other words, the data appears to be still on the card.

All I can conclude so far is that they apparently put my card in a Windows computer, and something re-wrote P-SERIES as P-Series.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last Friday I had the same experience. I asked them to dowload it. It contained my data ending the night before; that was to be the last night of use for my S9 Elite, which I was there to replace.

I took my SD card into the DME. They said they couldn't read it. edit: they read cards previously. This time I had a replacement card after my ResMed card failed.

I took my SD card home, cleaned up and stored my S9 Elite. I would have liked to have their history of my machine as a record. That beautiful S9 Elite has 22,100 hours on it. It's served me well.

Now I'm using a brand new S10 auto sense for her, following the recommendations given here.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2020, 08:54 PM)JJJ Wrote: sawinglogz wrote:

Quote:What's in your P-Series/ folder?

It has just one folder, P-SERIES, containing a subfolder with the numeric portion of the Dreamstation's serial number... In the root there is also a text file, LAST.TXT, containing just the numeric portion of the Dreamstation's serial number.

I bet if you put that LAST.TXT within the P-SERIES folder they'll be able to read it.

I don't know why it got written to the root directory. I've never seen that before.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation 2 Advanced Provider ManualIII Clay L 2 269 01-28-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 271 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  DME Provider Recos cincysinner 5 334 01-25-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 287 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 567 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Provider Manual for BMC? cpapuser2348 1 259 12-21-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,193 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.