Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heard something new about 'fatty tongue'
Heard something new about 'fatty tongue'
Please, I'm just a lifelong learner like you are.  I'm not promoting anything, just passing something on that is new to me, and which may be important to some of us over time....maybe.

I am in the process of changing my habits, one at a time.  I have a photo from two years ago, shirt off, working at the kitchen counter tightening canning jars with newly pickled beets.  It's astounding how heavy I had gotten.  I'm on a low carb and intermittent fasting regimen that I have hybridized because I like to customize my experience and processes.  I have lost 23 pounds since late January when I embarked on this re-jigging of my life.

To the point, there is a physician who posts a video every other day on youtube, and if do a search on that site, it's KenDBerryMD.  He's an ex-fatty who has gone public with his addictions and with his messages to those who would like to change their lives for the better.  Today, he mentions fruit consumption and its pitfalls.  He states that when the liver processes fructose, and only it deals with fructose (no other organ or muscle can handle fructose), and if the body is already replete with glycogen and blood glucose, it converts the fructose to fat.  What got me is that he mentions 'fatty tongue' casually and then parenthetically says, yeah, that's a real thing, and it is a leading cause of obstructive sleep apnea.

Go figure.  I will want to do some more reading and inquiry, and perhaps you will want to as well.  It could be something worth incorporating into our lexicon here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Heard something new about 'fatty tongue'
Hi Mesenteria

Thanks for sharing: this seems to be more than just a rumour. 

Well done on your own 23 lbs!

There is a plethora of youtubers sharing their experience with dietary manipulation. Someone dear to my heart is now fully carnivore and lost 9kgs in 4 months (and totally lost her carb cravings) and I am inundated with YouTube links. (Me? nope, it's not me, I have gained 5 kg lately, too many carbs!)

Just to add to your post, in case you and others are interested, I have seen something in the literature not so long ago: quoted here, bottom of Page 54

"The percentage of fat in the tongue base can be evaluated
by measuring the attenuation of the tongue base
using CT or by estimating the percentage of fat with the
mDIXON MRI technique; a fat content of equal to
or less than 32% is defined as normal.
In subjects with OSA, MRI elastography has shown the
tongue is less stiff than in similar healthy subjects and this
difference occurs in the orientation of the genioglossus
fibres. Submental ultrasound and MRI have confirmed
enlargement and diminished motion of the tongue base in
subjects with OSA as compared with controls."

Where there is smoke there may be fire: this seems to be one of many factors in SDB that we are all slowly learning about.
(Sympathies and thoughts to the Pacific North West. We have friends in Idaho, and know full well the terror or raging fires in Oz.)

[Memo to self: continue with tongue exercises, cut out the carbs, hmm, maybe just a few?]
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to be that as we age everything gets fatter except hair where it gets thinner. So no surprise on a fat tongue issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your post. You've given me something to think about!
I've been reminded here at home that my weight gain is my choice. It's time to do something about it. You've helped.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 652 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position Cantbreath95 2 1,245 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.