Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heart palpitations, anyone?
RE: Heart palpitations, anyone?
(10-02-2017, 08:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Just an impression...you need to cut back on the humidity setting a bit.  

To learn about oxygenation on CPAP, read about "PEEP". Positive End Expiratory Pressure
This is a basic principle of all ventilation and might give you some insight on what we try to do when someone has poor oxygen saturation in spite of decent AHI.  Interesting stuff anyway.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
In regards to heart palpitations, that is what drove me to actually deal with my sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (86 AHI) 2 years ago but gave up on CPAP without giving it much of a try because "I was just snoring" and nothing else was wrong. Fast forward 2 years and I am having very uncomfortable heart palpitations all day long. Cardiologist did all the tests and found nothing wrong with my heart, but in talking with him about the sleep apnea he said they could absolutely be related. He also disclosed that he has sleep apnea and how much CPAP has improved his life. The heart palpitations were getting better thanks to my natural Doctor, but they didn't go away completely until I got back on CPAP and really got it to work for me. For me, I'm convinced that the heart palpitations and my sleep apnea were related.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 12:17 PM)kingstar Wrote: In regards to heart palpitations, that is what drove me to actually deal with my sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (86 AHI) 2 years ago but gave up on CPAP without giving it much of a try because "I was just snoring" and nothing else was wrong. Fast forward 2 years and I am having very uncomfortable heart palpitations all day long. Cardiologist did all the tests and found nothing wrong with my heart, but in talking with him about the sleep apnea he said they could absolutely be related. He also disclosed that he has sleep apnea and how much CPAP has improved his life. The heart palpitations were getting better thanks to my natural Doctor, but they didn't go away completely until I got back on CPAP and really got it to work for me. For me, I'm convinced that the heart palpitations and my sleep apnea were related.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was waking up with palpitations every morning probably for about a month. The rest of my day was okay. One morning I woke up and my heartbeat was irregular and really fast. I ended up going to the ER and found out I was in AFib. So I was admitted to the hospital, had a cardioversion and was sent home two days later. About 8 months later same thing happened. Woke up in a fib and went back to the ER. This time I had an outpatient cardioversion done. One year later woke up in a fib again went to the ER, this time I converted on my own after they sent me home. That's when the cargiologist decided that we were going to do a sleep apnea test the cardiologist believed that it was the sleep apnea causing the AFib. But waiting for the sleep apnea test to be done, I ended up in afib again and this time I am staying in AFib. So I had to sleep study and sure enough I have sleep apnea.

The cardiologist told me that sleep apnea is a major cause of AFib in a lot of people. I no longer feel palpitations in the morning but I am in an irregular rhythm, I don't know if that is why or if I am not getting the palpitations anymore. It is something that I would talk to your doctor about. I'll be very honest and say that if afib can be prevented you need to try. I know for sure the heart palpitations were related to the sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. Thank you for that timely info, Styx.

My husband had a successful ablation a few years ago and is having his annual post-op checkup in a couple of weeks. I'm going to be sure to ask his doctor about this because hubby is so resistant to having a sleep study and using xPAP. I'm sure he has sleep apnea as I've witnessed him not breathing, etc. If his cardiologist pushes for it, I'm sure that he'll comply. I am most grateful for this ammunition. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 06:30 PM)Styx Wrote: I was waking up with palpitations every morning probably for about a month. The rest of my day was okay. One morning I woke up and my heartbeat was irregular and really fast. I ended up going to the ER and found out I was in AFib. So I was admitted to the hospital, had a cardioversion and was sent home two days later. About 8 months later same thing happened. Woke up in a fib and went back to the ER. This time I had an outpatient cardioversion done. One year later woke up in a fib again went to the ER, this time I converted on my own after they sent me home. That's when the cargiologist decided that we were going to do a sleep apnea test the cardiologist believed that it was the sleep apnea causing the AFib. But waiting for the sleep apnea test to be done, I ended up in afib again and this time I am staying in AFib. So I had to sleep study and sure enough I have sleep apnea.

The cardiologist told me that sleep apnea is a major cause of AFib in a lot of people. I no longer feel palpitations in the morning but I am in an irregular rhythm, I don't know if that is why or if I am not getting the palpitations anymore. It is something that I would talk to your doctor about. I'll be very honest and say that if afib can be prevented you need to try. I know for sure the heart palpitations were related to the sleep apnea.

Thanks so much, Styx. Your story sounds so similar to mine. But they can't find anything when they run tests. But they've been certain that there's some kind of problem.

I've had all the symptoms of a heart attack (including a zooming heart, heart pain, weird sweating) several times. It just felt to me as though my system wasn't getting enough oxygen, with no evident emotional content at that moment. One batch happened when I was trying to beat my personal best on a stationary bicycle. I was actually holding a device measuring BPM. I had it way too high. I eventually found if I didn't slump but sat up straight., I could bring a BPM much lower almost instantly. So, my experience has been not enough oxygen=heart symptoms.

I soon evolved to the conclusion—when I noticed I snorted during the night—that maybe I wasn't in fact getting enough oxygen. Ergo the sleep study. And, yes indeed, I have apnea, and therefore my relationship with oxygen is off-kilter.

So many connections between apnea and heart symptoms..... There haven't been nearly enough studies on this kind of thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Half Asleep, you are most dedicated to the task of adjusting to XPAP therapy. If everyone had such dedication I am sure the success rate would soar. But also, be kind to yourself through out this. I am 3 months in now and I find things start to gel after a few weeks.

In regard to your concern regarding heart palpations. There are machines that monitor oxygen levels. Some do it whenever you want, you put the machine on your finger and voila. Another, is like a watch with a finger tip attachment. It's called the CMS50d or f. It will record your running oxygen levels, and downloads to sleepyhead. Another option is the fit bit. A couple of models record oxygen levels.

The Cms 50d is around $100 and the fitbits with oxygen around $200 and $250. A number of members here use the Cms 50 so you may find more detail in various threads here. I believe it is considered to be accurate. The Fitbit is more money, but it might have other fun abilities that interest you. It doesn't have a finger attachment so is considered to be less accurate.

Just something to ponder if you are worried about oxygen levels and correlation to heart palpitations.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 10:22 PM)Cpapian Wrote: Half Asleep,  you are most dedicated to the task of adjusting to XPAP therapy.   If everyone had such dedication I am sure the success rate would soar.  But also, be kind to yourself through out this.  I am 3 months in now and I find things start to gel after a few weeks.

In regard to your concern regarding heart palpations.  There are machines that monitor oxygen levels.  Some do it whenever you want, you put the machine on your finger and voila.  Another, is like a watch with a finger tip attachment.   It's called the CMS50d or f.  It will record your running oxygen levels, and downloads to sleepyhead.   Another option is the fit bit.  A couple of  models record oxygen levels.  

The Cms 50d is around $100 and the fitbits with oxygen around $200 and $250.  A number of members here use the Cms 50 so you may find more detail in various threads here.  I  believe it is considered to be accurate.   The Fitbit is more money,  but it might have other fun abilities that interest you.  It doesn't have a finger attachment so is considered to be less accurate.

Just something to ponder if you are worried about oxygen levels and correlation to heart palpitations.

Great ideas.

That's interesting about fitbits... they would indeed give me some interesting info besides O2.

Surprisingly, every time the docs put an oximeter on me, I score 100%. The pulmonary technician gets irritated with my doc because I score too high for there to be any worries.

I'm settling down a bit on the APAP therapy, but kind of bummed that I can't seem to get SleepyHead going. At least I get a little bit of feedback from MyAir.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad his oblation worked! I am sure his cardiologist would want a sleep study if you asked about it. Hooe your hubby will follow through! Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Our stories do sound very much alike. When I would wake up in the afib, I would wake up feeling so hot and sweating like a bull, lol. That hasn't happened since I started with cpap. The doctor did do a night time pulse ox on me. I see him in November for the results. I am curious where my oxygen level was because we know my pulse ox on the sleep study went down in to the 70s. I really need to do one with the cpap on. He said that he might do that next. 

Good luck, hope things get figured out for you!

Just have to keep ruling things out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 91 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 392 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 965 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 225 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 285 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 458 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 931 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.