Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heated Tubing? Need your recommendations
RE: Heated Tubing? Need your recommendations
(11-19-2015, 03:42 PM)Possum Wrote: Thermodynamically, it makes more sense that the heated hose probably helps the flowing air not to cool significantly on its way to the mask, but I seriously doubt it actively "warms" the air much. First of all, air is an extremely poor conductor of heat. Second, the molecules that make up air are flowing through the tube so quickly (60 L/min or so) that they don't have much time (1-2 secs) to be heated via conduction during the short time they are traveling through the tube. In the case here, he needs the air to be heated completely by the tube, not the humidifier. So, I would not expect very good results.

Exactly... And well said.

Remember the OP situation has no humidifier.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Night Train,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you with finding a solution to your problem.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
"It might turn out to be an expensive experiment with a poor result. "

Yep, sounds just like many of the things I have done. I may have to get a longer tube and put it outside on a bench or something so I can use the heated humidifier.

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
AFAIK heater is thermally protected - in reality, the machine regulates not the temperature of the water but the temperature of the heater plate hence there is no risk of burning out the heater when it's run dry. Still, the heater plate / tray in the water chamber does not have enough of the surface area to warm up rapidly moving air. A possible solution - if your tank opens completely. Machine out an aluminium heat sink that would be sitting on the tray inside of the water chamber. Maybe a ready heat sink could be modified to fit. in the chamber. As many fins as possible... That could do the trick.
As for the hose - I doubt that it has enough wattage to meaningfully warm up the air but, it should have enough to prevent the air from cooling down. In other words; by itself it won't do much but combined with an efficient heat sink, it may help.
Obviously, what I wrote is nothing more than blowing smoke by another internet smart Alec who knows it all. Whatever you do, you do at your own peril.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I will pluck this chicken, one way or another.
Post Reply Post Reply
I answered in your other thread. What you're looking for is available from Supplier #7. You can see the copper heating wire in the tube, and it feels like an electric blanket, even through the fleece cover. You won't be disappointed. I used one from 2008 through 2014, and it can still run. Very durable, very warm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,338 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 627 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 612 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.