Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heated Tubing and Insurance
RE: Heated Tubing and Insurance
(06-23-2015, 02:42 PM)rx77310 Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 06:42 PM)OpalRose Wrote: If you have only had you machine and humidifier a month, you should be able to switch out the heated humidifier for a humidifier with heated hose. You will need to ask your doctor to give you another script stating a heated humidifier with heated hose. Don't know if your insurance would pay for it. You will have to call them.

So, it sounds like I should ignore what the sleep clinic said about Kaiser not paying for a heated tube and just schedule an appointment with my doctor(primary care provider) and get a prescription directly from my doctor?

I received a letter with my CPAP saying I should contact the sleep clinic for any problems with the CPAP therapy, but I understand doctors don't necessarily need to work with the sleep clinic to write a prescription. That said, once you have your top and hose, you should be able to order the heated hose as your hose every month. However, you have Kaiser, and they call the shots because they are their own DME.

A local shop said I could order the heated tubing upgrade directly from them without a prescription, but I would like to investigate the possibility of going through Kaiser/ insurance/ DME provider (Apria) or other entity that eats cost for me to save money.

With Resprionics, it isn't just a tube, but a new humidifier top plus tube. Unless you got it when you originally got your machine, you are SOL if you want someone else to pay for it. You'd best order the top from one of the suppliers listed here. The cost through the local shop is likely a good deal higher, but you can ask. You will need a new script, but you probably don't actually have to see the doctor for it. Just leave a message with his office, that you need a script for a heated humidifier and hose for the Resprionics unit. You can then fax that to any supplier you want.

Please note: If you do decide to go to the shop, make sure that you put a maximum dollar amount that you will pay for this if insurance doesn't cover it. Otherwise, you could look at a huge mark-up from what it would have cost you from an online retailer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 358 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 758 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.