Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heated hose VS seasons
Heated hose VS seasons
Hey all:
I live in the South in USA.  Winter dry air.  Forced air heat makes it dryer.   Summer hot and humidity above 50% more like 80% all the time.  So I wonder do those living closer to the equator like me use the heated hose only in winter?  OR in contrast if you live closer to the poles do you use it year round?

I never have used a heated hose until I got the ResMed AS10.  Just looking for thought and or best practice.
Sleep-well
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Heated hose VS seasons
I can't answer the question generally because I don't know what everyone actually does across seasons and across regions, ............................but:

Our advice, if one were asking, would be to maintain climate control in the hose so that no 'rain-out' takes place upon rising in the morning.  The idea is both to humidify the air sufficiently for comfort and good quality rest, but also to prevent moisture from condensing at the lowest points of the hose as it drapes.  So, it would follow that, during periods of high humidity, you'd want less actual contribution to that, but maybe more hose heat to prevent condensation due to cool air surrounding the hose.  When it is dry, but warm, maybe heat the tub a bit more, a couple of degrees to improve evaporation, but don't heat the hose any more than it takes to keep if from accumulating condensate.

Bottom line, yes, do adjust, yes, do tinker, and by all means continue to fiddle until you're happy with what you experience.  Ya gotta live!!
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine came with a heated hose and I've never chosen to turn it on. I've never experienced rain-out at all. I do use a hose holder / hanger and that helped so very much. I also use a hose cover, and that keeps it from making any noise if the hose should move around a bump something. 

If you're not using a hose hanger, give one a try. BEST thing I did to improve my overall sleep apnea experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
An option is turn the heated hose up in winter and down or off in summer. Ditto for the humidifier.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just leave mine on all the time. I also pretty much never change the humidifier settings. The only exception is when I’m running off a battery where I turn all of that off to preserve battery life. I have a non-climateline hose for that instance.

I’m a few hundred yards from salt water so it’s really humid in the summer. You put rice in the salt shaker so the salt doesn’t become a rock. In the winter when it’s near 0F or when I’m skiing, it’s really low humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
My question is if your home is air conditioned down to 68 during the night, wouldn't the machine respond to the surrounding air as being dry?

Our Central A/C is really good at taking humidity out of the air. I live in hot humid Houston so A/C is running non stop. 

The climate temp is heated to 81 on the ResMed. The mask is sliding around by midnight and lots of moisture inside the mask.  I'm guessing I should turn up the heat?
Post Reply Post Reply
Like "Rice95" I live in the Houston area also (Spring, TX to be specific) and I not only do not use the humidifier in my ResMed most of the year, but remove it and replace it with the available bypass module. I keep our bedroom temperature at 76, but we have a ChiliPad on our bed that keeps the bed temperature down as low as 55-60 degrees (can be set to any temperature up to over 100 degrees). The ChiliPad eliminates the need for a cold bedroom so it can really reduce the time that the AC is running.

I do use the heated hose with the humidifier on during our short winter and a few weeks on either side of the cold months (days LOL). IMO, if you want the humidity fine, leave it on with the heated hose both set to automatic. But, if the heat/humidity bothers you as it does me from time to time turn it off. If off keep an eye out for rainout it the main hose; it does get cold in TN.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 06:30 AM)Rice95 Wrote: My question is if your home is air conditioned down to 68 during the night, wouldn't the machine respond to the surrounding air as being dry?

Our Central A/C is really good at taking humidity out of the air. I live in hot humid Houston so A/C is running non stop. 

The climate temp is heated to 81 on the ResMed. The mask is sliding around by midnight and lots of moisture inside the mask.  I'm guessing I should turn up the heat?
My AC would never be set on 68  Nonosign .  We have our ac set on 75 during the day and 72-73 at night.  Yes AC removes humidity but not so much it usually 30 - 40% humidity in the house.  During the winter the forced air drys it all out alot more.   I just find I dont need humidification alot except winter.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 232 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 949 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 604 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 227 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,287 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.