Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heated hose not working correctly
Heated hose not working correctly
I use a Respitonics System 1 C-Flex + with a heated hose. The hose stopped working, i.e., would not heat up. I had the whole heating unit replaced and also got a new heated hose. Now the hose works but only when I first start using it. During the night I get awakened by cold air coming up the hose. The heated hose stops working after a few hours.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, I use the SoClean desanitizer every day. Love this unit!

Herb Warren
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Heated hose not working correctly
I don't notice the Respironics heated hose to get noticeably warm to the touch, and it doesn't heat the air, but maintains the temperature and prevents rainout. How are you determining it is not working.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two possibilities come to mind.

1) The power supply may be the weak link; and cannot provide required current to the blower, humidifier and heated hose.

2) You use SoClean desanitizer every day. If I understand that system, it uses Ozone and flows through the hose and the mask. The mask is inside a tank.
If the Respironics heated hose is like the ResMed climateline, then it has a sensor at the mask end of the hose. A hypothesis might be that Ozone damages that sensor.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The heat is added to the air by the heated humidifer, not the hose. All the heated hose does is help "maintain" the temperature of the air and prevent condensation on the walls of the hose. It provides minimal heat - air is a very poor conductor of heat, and a given parcel of air is flowing through the hose in less than a second, which is not enough time for the hose to actively heat the air.

That said, I suspect the issue is occurring before the hose, possibly within the heating element itself or with the sensor. I'm unfamiliar with the sanitizer you're using, but I'm curious if the issue occurs without using that additive? Maybe it isn't compatible with your unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's how the SoClean system works. The example machine is a Resmed S9. It injects Ozone, O3, into the humidifier tank. It circulates from the tank, through the hose, and into the mask. The mask is place inside the "tank" of the unit.

[Image: soclean.jpg]

Ozone is highly reactive. O3 is not a natural state for Oxygen. It prefers being a diatomic molecule sharing two covalent bonds with an another Oxygen atom O2. It easily gives up that third O atom.

Ozone has a sweet smell to it. It lingers in the air after I discharge my Taser.
(A high Voltage electric arc will generate Ozone.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 01:49 PM)justMongo Wrote: Ozone has a sweet smell to it. It lingers in the air after I discharge my Taser.
(A high Voltage electric arc will generate Ozone.)

In the South we use a Taser to stop someone, not snort the spark.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 01:49 PM)justMongo Wrote: Ozone has a sweet smell to it. It lingers in the air after I discharge my Taser.

According to several web sources I checked it has a "pungent" or "sharp" odor, not a sweet one. For instance Wikipedia says "Ozone's odour is sharp, reminiscent of chlorine, and detectable by many people at concentrations of as little as 10 ppb in air."

It is also, by the way, a poisonous gas.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually the hose on the Prs1 will raise the air temp you feel at the mask.
Now it may be its holdin more himidifier heat I dont know.
It doesnt get warm to the touch but in a 55 degree bedroom turning the hose up from one to 4 will in a few minutes make a painfully cold air flow toasty warm. Assuming there arent humongus leaks.
5 which is the max setting iis too warm even in a very cold bedroom
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 11:16 AM)HerbWarren Wrote: I use a Respitonics System 1 C-Flex + with a heated hose. The hose stopped working, i.e., would not heat up. I had the whole heating unit replaced and also got a new heated hose. Now the hose works but only when I first start using it. During the night I get awakened by cold air coming up the hose. The heated hose stops working after a few hours.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, I use the SoClean desanitizer every day. Love this unit!

Herb Warren

You might check your leak rate. At 12 cmh2o if you start leaking heavily the fow rate will overcome the heat from the humidifiet and the hose.
The sensor in the PRS1 hose senses humidity not temperature at the mask.
The temp is sensed at the macine and the individual knob settings are each a fixed number of degrees above room ambient tempature.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 94 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.