Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap
Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap
I started on cpap a year ago and was then recommended for bipap 6 months ago. I then switched from a resmed cpap machine to a bipap machine.  I wasn’t getting any relief of symptoms so changed my sleep doctor who ordered a third sleep study now recommending cpap (again) at pressure of 10. 
Will I need to have my doctor order another cpap machine or can the Resmed Curve bipap machine be configured by the doctor to be used as a cpap machine to follow the recommendation from the sleep study? 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap
the AirCurve models have a CPAP option yes

Post Reply Post Reply
Just set your min and max to the same pressure. Turn ps to 0

You will have a constant pressure of what ever you select.

BUT - I don’t know why anyone would want to.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Give us a view of your therapy data. I'll be really surprised if you don't benefit from bilevel therapy. I have no idea why you would want to use CPAP, I sure wouldn't go back, and it's not about "need", it's about comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with OSA in May 2022, placed on CPAP. I had a second sleep study in January of 2023 which indicated a need for bipap. I was placed on bipap in February 2023. As I felt therapy wasn’t working and my doctors communication skills are poor I switched to a new doctor/sleep center in July 2023. She played around with my bipap settings a few times and then, noticing my respiration rate was very slow, decided to do a sleep study to see if bipap S/T would be helpful. I had the sleep study last week. 
The first 3 images are my last 3 days of bipap data at the end of august at settings of the doctors choice. The 4th image is the one page sleep study report I just received. The technician indicated to me that I seemed to need a higher pressure of cpap than 10 however above 10 I started to have central events so the recommendation is going to be cpap at 10 even though that will be suboptimal treatment.

Image 2

Image 3

Latest sleep study report

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Therefore I will be switching from bipap Back to cpap and so one of my questions was whether I would have to return my bipap for another cpap machine
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to see a restart on the BiLevel. Sleeprider is very good at this. The following is just a starting point.
Your PS is exceptionally high so cutting you back to BiLevel starting values.
Mode:Vauto
Min EPAP=4
Max IPAP=20
PS=4
Trigger = Medium (Default)

The higher PS could very well lead into CA events.

Post the results please
Post Reply Post Reply
With a PS of 10, it's no wonder you are having CAs. Are you a back sleeper or use a lot of pillows? The EPAP pressure is responsible for controlling the OAs and hypopneas. Yours is at the absolute minimum. Where or who came up with your pressure settings? Just to get a handle on where to go, I would recommend that you increase your EPAP pressure to 7 cm and reduce your PS to 3 and set the Trigger to High. Take these setting for an overnight snooze and post your Daily screenshot again. Hopefully, there should be improvement.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Gideon on a reset of bilevel pressure, but I'm going to suggest Vauto mode, EPAP min 7.0, IPAP max 16.0, PS 4.0. What I see is your bilevel pressure if fixed at 10 cm of pressure support. That makes no sense, and I suspect there is an error in setting up your machine. The way you are setup you have EPAP 4.0, IPAP 14.0 and PS 10 which produces fixed pressure. I will bet that should have been setup as EPAP min 4.0, IPAP max 14 and PS 4. We will reserve judgement on positional apnea, but that is the current problem. I'm certain the higher EPAP min will help clear some obstruction and the much lower PS will result in efficacy.

Please set your machine to
Vauto mode
EPAP min 7.0
Max pressure 15.0
PS 4.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,749 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.