Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heated hose setting
Heated hose setting
I just received a heated hose for my airsense 11. I have it set on auto. Does any one know what temperature and humidity level that may be at?

What setting do you have yours set at?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Heated hose setting
The AirSense 11 with climate control set to auto will set the tube temp to 80F and humidity at 85%.

That is too warm for my liking. I set mine to manual with a tube temp of 71F and humidity on 2 (sometimes 3 depending on how dry it is). I keep a temp/humidity gauge (hygrometer) in my bedroom which helps me decide when to bump up the humidity on the machine (usually wintertime). I also use a hose cover and have never had any issues with rainout. YMMV.

Everyone will have a different preference so try out different temp/humidity settings and find one you are comfortable with.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. My room is usually about 70 to 72 degrees. Using regular tubing and with my pressures it makes my throat feel raw. I do have the humidity set at 5 at 6 I get rainout in the tube. So hopefully with auto my throat will stop feeling raw.
Post Reply Post Reply
I should note that when I tried the Auto climate control it would use an entire tank of water in one night. To the point where the tank was almost dry.
With my manual settings it uses slightly more than half a tank per night.
The water I use is just tap water run through a "Zero Water" type pitcher filter so replenishing it is not an issue.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your room is considerably warmer when you sleep than my wife and I like ours to be.  We're routinely about five degrees F below your setting, often seven or eight degrees. Summers are different, of course, but the fall and winters are quite a bit cooler, as we let it be.  My own settings are about two, often one, on the setting circle graphic that appears, and that means manual setting for me.  I set my hose temp for 24 deg F, sometimes a bit higher if I get condensation in my nasal mask (N20).  But, I also place my hose across my body, under at least one cover (which is all I use, even in the dead of winter and in a cold-ish room).  Between the modest temperature setting of 24 deg, but with most of my hose covered all night, I never experience rainout.

You'll need to fiddle...period.  Try different combinations of hose and humidity settings to see what works best for you in your room.  If it means anything to you, my reservoir, the standard one cup RESMED variety, or whatever the real volume is, lasts me three full nights, sometimes more.  What is the deciding factor is how much ambient humidity there is in the air your machine ingests to treat you.  If it's already high, and you keep the hose below about 25 deg, but want quite a bit of humidity setting, say around 6-8, you should expect rainout.  So, to repeat, try a lower humidity setting, especially if a reliable device says your ambient humidity is typically 66% or higher in your room. Or, and, raise the hose temp.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Auto and it seems fine.  Under Device Settings, OSCAR shows that it's set on Auto and also indicates that the Temp is 25 degrees C and the Humidity Level is 4.

When I'm not sleeping, and before I used CPAP, I preferred cooler, dryer air.  I was surprised to find that with the increased air pressure of CPAP, I find some added warmth and humidity more comfortable.   I also like to use the machine's Warmup feature to get the water warmed up before I go to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for the replys and help!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Our bedroom is on the cool side. We tend to sleep better that way. As far as heated hose settings go, one came with my machine, but I keep the heat turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again thanks to everyone for the input. I sleep last night with the heated hose on auto for the first time. My throat was not sore or irritated this morning., so hopefully it will stay that way. I guess time will tell. I also looked at my Oscar report from last night. I did not have any REA's and also no snoring. I wonder if the heated hose helped that because my throat was not irritated with the cool air being pushed in, I guess time will tell!!  Have a great day everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2022, 01:43 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: The AirSense 11 with climate control set to auto will set the tube temp to 80F and humidity at 85%.

@Jeff8356
85% of what?

Is the AS11 able to measure the air humidity and adjust moisture added to get the air through the hose equal to 85% ambient humidity?

@OP

I struggle with rainout often, even on auto mode, and it's frustrating that because the humidity in your room changes you have to keep adjusting cpap settings.
There is no set-it-and-forget-it in cpap life.

Measure and write down humidity and temp in your room and settings for hose temp and humidity and keep notes on what works and what doesn't.
Gonna take time to find what works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,204 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 859 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 611 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.