Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heated tube
Heated tube
If you were buying a new machine, would you get the heated tube option? What does it do for you and if a person doesn't like it can it be turned off?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Heated tube
I would not go without it and have been using heated tubing since before it was an option with a machine in 2008. The heated tube can be controlled separately from humidity, including turning it off. The main benefit is to warm the hose surface temperature between the humidifier and mask to prevent condensation or rain-out. Warmer moist air will condense on cool surfaces like the hose. The heated tube does not actually warm the air much.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 09:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I would not go without it and have been using heated tubing since before it was an option with a machine in 2008. The heated tube can be controlled separately from humidity, including turning it off. The main benefit is to warm the hose surface temperature between the humidifier and mask to prevent condensation or rain-out. Warmer moist air will condense on cool surfaces like the hose. The heated tube does not actually warm the air much.

Thanks, That answers my question.
I didn't think I would like breathing heated air.
I do have trouble sometimes with condensation as the humidity in my house changes daily it seems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, go with the heated tube.

It doesn't make the air hot, it just takes that chill off, so your not breathing in cold air. The biggest advantage is that it will cut down on condensation in the hose. And help deliver more humidity.

If you don't like it, can be turned off.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well you live close (maybe) to the lakes and should have heard of lake effect snow. Yes this relates to a heated hose. Moist air going over cold land makes snow (moisture falling out of the air). The only way to add humidity to air is to heat it, even if only slightly. So if you room is colder than the water chamber, when the air goes into the hose it will condense out some, or a lot, of the water. The heated tube just makes it so the hose is no longer colder than the water tank, so no rain out.

There is a heater under the water tank, this is why there is a metal plate in the bottom of the tank. This heater is what the CPAP uses to set the temperature of the air you breathe, and the heater in the hose is adjusted to keep the hose close to or above the water temperature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely go for the heated tube- my new ASV (that is being picked up today) did not have a prescription for it, and I contacted my Respiratory Therapist and she added a prescription for the heated tube for me - I am glad I checked on it before my appointment to pick up my new ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I_will_never_sleep_again,
I wouldn't be without my heated tube for the reasons mentioned above.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 01:13 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Well you live close (maybe) to the lakes and should have heard of lake effect snow. Yes this relates to a heated hose. Moist air going over cold land makes snow (moisture falling out of the air). The only way to add humidity to air is to heat it, even if only slightly. So if you room is colder than the water chamber, when the air goes into the hose it will condense out some, or a lot, of the water. The heated tube just makes it so the hose is no longer colder than the water tank, so no rain out.

There is a heater under the water tank, this is why there is a metal plate in the bottom of the tank. This heater is what the CPAP uses to set the temperature of the air you breathe, and the heater in the hose is adjusted to keep the hose close to or above the water temperature.

Wow. I don't mean to offend, but that is so wrong, and as a scientist I just gotta:

Lake effect snow is from cold air passing over warmer open water, which allows moisture to evaporate into the air. As it passes over land it cools and condenses, depositing snow as it lifts over land on the downwind side. Lake effect snow is like CPAP rain-out where warm moist air cools as it passes through the hose. Heating air actually makes relative humidity lower, which is why heated space in winter is so dry.

Warmer air can hold more moisture than cold air. When warm moist air cools, it releases moisture, which is what causes moisture in an unheated or uninsulated CPAP hose or mask, or dew on cool lawns and cars on a warm humid night.

The heater under the tank is to raise the temperature of water, not air. This causes water molecules to move faster and evaporate into the air moving over the water. There is some heat transfer with the moisture, but the point of the heater is not to heat air. It would be easy to make a small heat exchanger (radiator) to to that if it was desirable, but heating air, would actually make it dryer. The heated tube merely keeps the hose surface warmer to prevent condensation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 05:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(03-01-2016, 01:13 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Well you live close (maybe) to the lakes and should have heard of lake effect snow. Yes this relates to a heated hose. Moist air going over cold land makes snow (moisture falling out of the air). The only way to add humidity to air is to heat it, even if only slightly. So if you room is colder than the water chamber, when the air goes into the hose it will condense out some, or a lot, of the water. The heated tube just makes it so the hose is no longer colder than the water tank, so no rain out.

Wow. I don't mean to offend, but that is so wrong, and as a scientist I just gotta:

Lake effect snow is from cold air passing over warmer open water, which allows moisture to evaporate into the air. As it passes over land it cools and condenses, depositing snow as it lifts over land on the downwind side. Lake effect snow is like CPAP rain-out where warm moist air cools as it passes through the hose. Heating air actually makes relative humidity lower, which is why heated space in winter is so dry.

Warmer air can hold more moisture than cold air. When warm moist air cools, it releases moisture, which is what causes moisture in an unheated or uninsulated CPAP hose or mask, or dew on cool lawns and cars on a warm humid night.

The heater under the tank is to raise the temperature of water, not air. This causes water molecules to move faster and evaporate into the air moving over the water. There is some heat transfer with the moisture, but the point of the heater is not to heat air. It would be easy to make a small heat exchanger (radiator) to to that if it was desirable, but heating air, would actually make it dryer. The heated tube merely keeps the hose surface warmer to prevent condensation.

Okay, so I must not have been clear enough because I thought what I was saying is EXACTLY what you are saying. We are in total agreement, not sure where I threw you off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Moist air going over cold land makes snow (moisture falling out of the air). Yes the moist air is caused by air going over the water, which in winter the water will be warmer that the air.

The only way to add humidity to air is to heat it, even if only slightly. either way, if you heat the air and pass it over the water it will pick up "some" water if on the other hand you heat the water then it will pick up more water

So if you room is colder than the water chamber, when the air goes into the hose it will condense out some, or a lot, of the water. Not sure if this needs further explination.

The heated tube just makes it so the hose is no longer colder than the water tank, so no rain out. same here

There is a heater under the water tank, this is why there is a metal plate in the bottom of the tank. true fact TO HEAT THE WATER

This heater is what the CPAP uses to set the temperature of the air you breathe, yes indirectly as above the heater heats the water which warms up the air

and the heater in the hose is adjusted to keep the hose close to or above the water temperature. Factually true I believe

I guess I did not spell it all out but I don't think I actually misstated anything. Again in my mind the exact same thing you are saying
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 467 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 194 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 605 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.